Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

so i got rear ended at a stop sign today

5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  soccerref 
#1 ·
loud bang. no one hurt. except my nerves. kids okay.

liftgate bent.
bumper punctured.
exhaust is humming a different pitch.

i wonder how many days she will be in the shop.

#5 ·
#6 ·
#9 ·
Get police report to determine at fault and insurance info of the perp.
This. I see the OP is from NJ, not sure if that's where the accident occurred, but NJ is a no-fault state. Need the report to determine fault. I detest no-fault states.

#7 ·
Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad no one was hurt, though I'd get my neck checked out if I was you.

Let me guess, the other driver was on their phone and not paying attention?

I just watched an accident happen in the lane next to me a little bit ago. Car was stopped at a red light in the right turn lane waiting for an opening to go and a car full of teenagers slammed right into him. Driver was obviously on his phone. The guy wasn't hurt, but boy was he mad. There needs to be stiffer penalties for anybody that causes an accident due to using their phone and not paying attention to the road.

#10 ·
state farm is working with me.

the hitter was totally at fault. i was at a stop sign. instead of him using the brakes he used me.

i cant prove he was on the phone.

the police report will take 7-10 days. state farm said they will get it for me.

going to take my baby to a honda autobody shop.

she is devalued enough. :(

im still trying to figure out my phone and the pictures. :p

#12 · (Edited)
i cant prove he was on the phone.
Just yesterday I was next to a guy in a 2nd gen Pilot. My first thought was "Greetings, ye of my brethren" (kind of like when dogs wag their tails when they recognize each other from across a street), but I soon noticed that he was just yacking it up on his cellphone. My disapproving stare seemed to be of little persuasive value, so I felt a slight pang of joy when after a while red and blue flashing lights forced him to pull over and get written up.

#11 ·
Be sure to discuss your options of being reimbursed for the devalue of your car with your insurance agent, seriously. Its nearly a new car. If you were to try to sell that car in the state it was in a few days ago, versus trying to sell it after it gets repaired, you wouldn't garner the same selling price due to the accident history. The at-fault party carries the responsibility for this devaluing of your car, and therefore you should be reimbursed for it.

#13 ·
What i have so far. she will be in the shop for a week. at a cost to the other guy for 2 grand. + approved incidentals ( take off a panel and find it is worse than thought or put it on the rack and really see what was done)

this honda shop works really well with state farm.

debating gettin a rental car or not. i only need it for 3 days really. so is it worth the hassle?

#14 ·
debating gettin a rental car or not. i only need it for 3 days really. so is it worth the hassle?
Of course. Normally Enterprise supplies the cars so what I do is see if they have a pickup which they always do. Sometimes I'll get it for the same rate, sometimes they up-charge me a few dollars. Depends on their inventory. Then I do all my household work which requires a truck or where I don;t feel like dirtying up my Pilot. Dump runs, Ikea haul, etc.

#15 ·
it was worse than expected. even state farm agreed.

up to 4 grand in damages. another 2 weeks in the shop (labor day weekend mucked it up)

just so pissed off now

#17 ·
We got rear ended on the Garden State Parkway going exactly 70 on cruise. Had not even changed lanes in many miles. Not squarely on the rear, but as if trying to get around. Beautiful, sunny day, clear, uncrowded highway, early afternoon, enjoying XM radio's Elvis channel ... older couple never admitted to exactly what they did, but insurance took care of it OK.

#18 ·
Sorry to hear I had the same thing happened to me back in June their insurance company paid the whole thing bumper the exhaust system hitch bumper cover remember the exhaust system is all one piece unfortunately mine wasn't drivable had to be towed bodyshop they did an awesome job mans used all Honda parts the bill was about four grand the only downside is that his insurance company put me in a Chevrolet Tahoe and I really didn't like it the Pilot is a better car the kid was texting I looked up in my mirror and he was looking down he told the cop he was texting 0 out of my pocket just the inconvenience the body shop took care of everything it took about a month the car sat there for almost a week before it was looked at Allstate dragged their feet I never contacted my insurance company in New York rear end is curanderos dry good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
I would have it fixed by my own insurance and let my insurance contact the offending party. They will usually do it and have your interest instead of them dragging their feet.

#23 ·
I would have it fixed by my own insurance and let my insurance contact the offending party. They will usually do it and have your interest instead of them dragging their feet.

I beg to differ. Subrogation can take months, during which you are out your deductible, and this is adding to your insurance company's workload unnecessarily. Also possible that this could be mis-coded as an "at-fault" and affect your rates. If the other company is cooperating and reputable there is not a good reason (IMHO) to take this route.

#20 ·
I can't recommend this product enough. Got it in 2014 when I got my touring, and it's a no brainer.

Among a couple of in-traffic texters bumpz, I've had a bmw hit me waiting at a red light (15mph? but zero damage to me, plenty to his plastic chrome grill & bumper)

Acts as a great step for roof access and allows for a (free) tow hitch to be installed.

I'm surprised I don't see more of them out there. Most of the designer decorative chrome bumpers deformed or with creases in them.

Superbumper Model SU424 in Black - Avoid Whiplash Injury with Superbumper Univeral Fit Products

#21 ·
Yes, in this era of texter zombies and cr@ppy plastic bumper shrouds it has come to this. You need a bumper to protect your bumper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.