Vibration Issue At Highway Speeds - Must Read if you owe a 2013 Pilot - NHTSA - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Vibration Issue At Highway Speeds - Must Read if you owe a 2013 Pilot - NHTSA

I decided to open this thread because I am dealing with this crap for more than 3 months now. I bought a 2013 Honda Pilot Touring and it has a vibration issue at highway speeds. The resonance vibration can be felt on the seats, interior cabin, steering wheel, dash, center console or the rear entertainment system (open the DVD display and you will feel the noise of the plastics).

Like many of you out there, I took it to the dealer multiple times and no fix has been found. Honda claims that this is part of the design. I found that they updated the chassis to be stiffer and this is causing the vibration to be transmitted to the cabin.

I went the Lemon Law route and Honda denied the issue. I can't pursue litigation because of the cost for the lawyers and timing constrains due to my work.

I will recommend you to file a complaint in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml) like I did. The more complaints they get about the issue the sooner Honda will act and fix the problem because now they are not dealing with you they are dealing with the government and is not convenience for them.

Here is my Complaint ODI number: 10496956

Below you will see my complaint write-up. I will recommend you to keep one voice together and if you have the issue please raise your voice. It is not fair to pay ~40K for a car that has design issues and in the long run it will give you trouble or serious safety issue. One Team One Fight.

Complaint write-up:

"As soon as the vehicle was driven out of the lot, 17 miles on the odometer, after the vehicle was purchased, a vibration was felt coming through the seats at 75 mph. and multiple resonance frequencies can be felt through the chassis into the interior of the vehicle. This vibration is constant between 65 mph to 78 mph (highway speeds) and it get worst during longer periods of driving. These frequencies of vibrations are transmitted to your lower back causing stress and back pain. In addition the interior parts of the car (dash, panels, radio, center console, DVD, etc.) are becoming loose and it can be felt during driving causing a distraction to the passengers. Multiple repairs attempts are being performed by Honda Dealers and they decided to tell the costumers that this is part of the car design since they re-designed the chassis and suspension to be stiffer for the 2013 models. Multiple complaints are being reported by different customers around the US but not repair has been performed and will not be performed. We do not want to wait until a tire/wheel becomes loose and kill a family or multiple families on the highways because of an unsafe condition on these vehicles. Also, power steering problems and brake issues (after longer periods of driving, 2+hrs) have been reported without being corrected after multiple attempts."

If you want your problem fix you have to raise your voice.

Thank you in Advance.

Last edited by S2K_Pomales; 02-09-2013 at 04:37 PM.
S2K_Pomales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
DMG

Sorry I call BS on this: "I went the Lemon Law route and Honda denied the claim."

Honda cannot just deny a case, it must go through
litigation.

Arizona Lemon Law Information
The Arizona lemon law, Arizona Revised Statutes §§ 44-1261 to 1267, provides comprehensive protection for consumers who purchase or lease defective cars. Under the Arizona lemon law, a car is presumed a lemon if the same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times or the car is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of thirty or more calendar days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever is shorter. The Arizona lemon law covers used cars, under certain circumstances, as well as new cars. In addition to cars, the Arizona lemon law covers light duty trucks and motor home chassis’s.

Last edited by DMG; 02-09-2013 at 04:33 PM.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Correct, they denied the issue and I have to pursue litigation. As I mention before, I will not pursue litigation due to the cost of the lawyers and time constrains. It is not as simple as the black and white letters in the law. It will require a lot of evidence and repair records. And if Honda win the case and decide to charge you their lawyer fees you have to pay.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
DMG

Did you use an attorney to file your case? The last time I used the Lemon Law in Oro Valley, AZ it took 5 months before my attorney was able to go through the mitigation process. And you said in the first post you have dealt with this for only 3 months.

And yes I did win my case.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes I did. Again, no litigation process at this point. We did pre-litigation and Honda denied the claim. They replied in 4 weeks. In order to go to litigation I have to consider the amount of money I have to put out of the pocket. Send me a private message with your lawyer info. The intent of this thread is to raise the bar and make the people aware of the issue. Thanks.

Last edited by S2K_Pomales; 02-09-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
DMG

PM sent.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to tangotango99

I believe the the chassis and suspension are still the same, can the moderator merge all viberation and shuddering issues into one thread please.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Nothing about a free massage on Honda's website.
Be great if you could demonstrate the issue using a video and utube.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to tangotango99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Be great if you could demonstrate the issue using a video and utube.
I will second that
Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
DMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
I am not sure what you are talking about; "a free massage".
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

I am saddened to hear you are having issues with your Pilot, it is certainly not what you would expect from a $40k Honda vehicle. Ours is fine but not the quality I expected.
However, I just do not see the vibration problem as a safety issue.
quattrohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
Did you use an attorney to file your case? The last time I used the Lemon Law in Oro Valley, AZ it took 5 months before my attorney was able to go through the mitigation process. And you said in the first post you have dealt with this for only 3 months.

And yes I did win my case.
How much did did you pay your bloodsucking lawyer?

What was the "mitigation" you received from Honda?

Just wondering...
CO_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
DMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_PILOT View Post
How much did did you pay your bloodsucking lawyer?

What was the "mitigation" you received from Honda?

Just wondering...

I have gone through the lemon Law twice in two different states. In both cases I did not pay a penny to the attorney since both cars were determined to be a lemon. If you win your cases the car manufacturer pays all the attorney fees. I did have to pay for the mileage I put on the cars and in one cases I had to pay the dealer to put on the “stock rims & tires” back on the truck.

I never went through mitigation on a Honda, the two cars were a Chevy Tahoe (rod went through the block with 87 miles on it), and the second one was a Mercedes with 4500 miles on it (the electronics keep burning out causing a no start situation).
Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Re: Vibration Issue At Highway Speeds - Must Read if you owe a 2013 Pilot - NHTSA

We did the lemon law on a previous vehicle here in California. California makes it so the consumer doesn't have to pay out of pocket regardless of the outcome. Lose your case and the manufacturer just has too suck it up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
DMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahooligan View Post
We did the lemon law on a previous vehicle here in California. California makes it so the consumer doesn't have to pay out of pocket regardless of the outcome. Lose your case and the manufacturer just has too suck it up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
You are correct, the consumer never has to pay to file a lemon law case, I should have made that clear. I think each state has it's own lemon law requirements, in general if you bring the car back 4 times for repairs or it is in the shop for a total of 30 days it is considered a lemon.

In some cases if you get a cash rebate from the manufacture and you later trade the car in you may have to state that the car is a lemon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: