Roof rails and crossbars suck on 2012 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Roof rails and crossbars suck on 2012

The OEM crossbars are SO close together! What were they thinking with this design.

I wanted to add an aftermarket cross bar further up front. I only need one. Has anyone seen a company that doesn't sell them in pairs?

Does anyone have one gathering dust in the garage?
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I was under the impression that you could slide them to make them the width you need. Is this not true? I was about to order them until I saw this thread.

2003 TL Type S - Parrot MKi9200, Cargo Tray
AJCHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCHonda View Post
I was under the impression that you could slide them to make them the width you need. Is this not true? I was about to order them until I saw this thread.
They are adjustable:
cross bars
RSQ Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSQ Pilot View Post
They are adjustable:
cross bars
Looks like a user name and password are required for this link, but I support your comment. On my 2012 the cross bars have small thumb wheels that can be loosened to adjust the bars.

On my 08 Pilot (and my 09 & 03 Odysseys) they were fixed and not adjustable.
2011 Mazda3i Touring - White
Former Hondas - 2008 Pilot EXL-RES - Formal Black, 2003 Odyssey EXL-RES - Redrock, 2002 Accord EXL - Nighthawk Black, 1994 Accord EX, 1990 Acura Integra, 1986 Accord, 1981 Accord
Go Steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

For some reason, the crossbar installation instructions tell you to mount them at two specific locations on the rails, but I just ignored that and slid them as far apart as possible before locking them down with the thumb wheels. Mine were aftermarket. When I get home, I'll measure how far back the first one is from the front edge of the roof (just in case you don't have a sun roof to measure from).

Last edited by bcicio; 07-09-2012 at 04:41 PM.
bcicio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Steelers View Post
Looks like a user name and password are required for this link, but I support your comment. On my 2012 the cross bars have small thumb wheels that can be loosened to adjust the bars.

On my 08 Pilot (and my 09 & 03 Odysseys) they were fixed and not adjustable.
Link works from my end through the forum post but...try this
Honda online store - Select your vehicle to view the installation or DIY instructions for an Accessory
RSQ Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

They adjust of course, but even spread as far as they go they are a lot closer than my old grandcherokee. I can't even use the small Thule roof bag I have.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Only 30 inches from bar to bar! Sad for as big as the vehicle is.

When I had them installed, I thought they'd adjust to almost the length of the roof. They only go to the front of the rear door.

I've got 12 foot kayak to balance up there. Really pissed I didn't just get a Thule rack. Might have to call Honda tomorrow and try and get my money back. Or call Thule and see if they'll sell a single set of feet and one cross bar.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have two 12 ft kayaks and even with the cross bars at the marks have no problems having the kayak in the holder with my Thule racks.

I cannot speak for the bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof rails and crossbars suck on 2012-wp_000129.jpg  
cwessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

It just looks so unsafe that close together. I guess I'll give it a try with them.

I haven't found a tie off point in the front yet. Is there one?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

I currently mount my two kayaks similar to cwessner's picture above, on my Grand Cherokee. Even though I could have my cross bars further apart than his, I don't.

I prefer to have the front and rear straps trapped under the front and rear lip of the kayak's cockpit (like one of his front straps is). If the crossbars were further apart, that trapping wouldn't happen.

With the straps properly tensioned, the kayaks aren't going anywhere. And I like not having to tie them down in the front or back.

When I get my Pilot, I'll be spacing the crossbars the same way.

No one cares that you used AutoGuide.com Free App
scooterboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

I feel the same way about the short rails. I researched quite a bit about the Pilot itself, but didn't look at the specs for the accessories. After spending $545 for the rails and bars, I was really disappointed with the short rails. On the Jeep Cherokee that I had prior to the Pilot, I easily tied down a 12' ladder to the stock roof rack without having the tie down the ends. Now I guess that the ends will have to be tied down due the narrow distance between the cross bars.

Front tie down point? I guess the best thing to do, would be to install the front tow adapter?
Bulldog8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hi, yes I tried to put them so that the straps are on the lips, but was lazy this time and didn't move the bars as I just got the kayak, still need to adjust them.

Also, I agree on the front and rear straps. I have never tied down front and rear on my kayaks and they have never moved. I guess if you have an accident something could happen but then all bets are off. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

cwessner
can I ask you what that rear handle looking thing is on your Kayak. And the bungee attached to it. Do you get it up there from the back. Or open the side door and go from there? Thanks in advance and very nice Kayak
Attached Thumbnails
Roof rails and crossbars suck on 2012-yl_d9.jpg  

Last edited by pilot88; 07-11-2012 at 06:38 PM.
pilot88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Pilot88 - for some reason the widerness systems installed bungees for the handles. So instead of just having the cord in one position for lifting via the handle on the kayak, they handles have the bungees, giving its cushioned feel when picking it up on the handle, I am questioning how long they will last lol.

I am only 5 11 but still able to throw the kayak up and into the holders from standing on the ground. I did find that standing on the side rails and that area when opening the 2nd row door that is large on the sill designed for getting into the 3rd row works really well for me to be able to route the straps on the rack before putting the kayak on it. THen I just grab the ends once the kayak is on it and fling them over the top to fasten to the small side of the rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: