Buying New 2012 Pilot - Please Confirm These Problems - Page 2 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

[QUOTE=jena_blondie;389443]I am planning to buy a new 2012 Pilot EX-L Model this week. Please let me know if you have any comments about these items:

1) Price - $33600 (DH included) + Tax Good or bad? 2012 EX-L came in at $32800 including destination, All Weather Mats, Wheel Locks, Cargo Tray, Pinstriping, Trunk Dividers, and front window tinting (Driver/Passenger). TTL brought the total purchase to $35600.

2) Vibration or humming when A/C compression kicks in? Noticed a humming with A/C while parked, not while driving.

3) On highway, when ECO kicks in at around 65mph, there is a noticeable feeling of jerking or speed changing. True or false? 3500 miles at this point, mildly noticeable at times when ECO is active, but not at 65 mph, generally at lower speeds on local roads.

4) Short vibration when you stop your car with turned steering wheel. Haven't experienced this.

5) Average gallons to fill at the gas station (before the low gas light comes up) Generally 16 - 18 gallons. Light comes on mine when it needs 18.

6) Okay to pump with just regular unleaded? Yes. Manual recommends higher octane if towing.

7) Road noise level on highway? It felt really quiet on a 35 mph zone when I test drove it. No, of course I came out of 2004 Element........

8) Best color - Mine is White with gray interior.

9) Average miles on full tank of gas (your experience) 350 ( all city at about 19 mpg). Expect better on highway this summer.

10) Pilot vs. Highlander, if you can get a full refund on your Pilot. Would you still purchase a Pilot over Highlander? Absolutely would purchase Pilot again, love the interior size.
jb122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

1) Price - $33600 (DH included) + Tax Good or bad?
Not sure, we bought a Touring.

2) Vibration or humming when A/C compression kicks in?
None

3) On highway, when ECO kicks in at around 65mph, there is a noticeable feeling of jerking or speed changing. True or false?
Nope

4) Short vibration when you stop your car with turned steering wheel.
Nope

5) Average gallons to fill at the gas station (before the low gas light comes up)
Never paid attention and have never had the low gas light come on.

6) Okay to pump with just regular unleaded?
Absolutely

7) Road noise level on highway? It felt really quiet on a 35 mph zone when I test drove it.
Very quiet and smooth at highway speeds, one of the major things we love about our Pilot.

8) Best color
That's a matter of personal preference.

9) Average miles on full tank of gas (your experience)
Haven't paid attention to that but we're getting about 18 mpg city driving and 22 mpg highway.

10) Pilot vs. Highlander, if you can get a full refund on your Pilot. Would you still purchase a Pilot over Highlander?
Definitely would still choose the Pilot.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

1) Price - $33600 (DH included) + Tax Good or bad? Avg. 300 over invoice. Mine was 32 even for EX-L. Tough to compete wiht the Jeep and Explorer in these parts where everyone tows toys.

2) Vibration or humming when A/C compression kicks in? None

3) On highway, when ECO kicks in at around 65mph, there is a noticeable feeling of jerking or speed changing. True or false? YES, and this is all the time when it kicks in, and hesitates when turns off. One thing I hate about the honda.... Saving of 2mpg average over my partners 2012 Highlander.

4) Short vibration when you stop your car with turned steering wheel. No, but a bump/surge a couple moments after each stop in traffic. I was told this is normal with the electronic controlled tranny.

5) Average gallons to fill at the gas station (before the low gas light comes up) Not sure.

6) Okay to pump with just regular unleaded? It's a honda, not a turbocharged high reving sprotscar with detonation issues. Regular, or why bother...

7) Road noise level on highway? It felt really quiet on a 35 mph zone when I test drove it. Much more quiet than the last model year and on par with highlander.

8) Best color

9) Average miles on full tank of gas (your experience) Not sure. I average 21 mpg, mostly highway.

10) Pilot vs. Highlander, if you can get a full refund on your Pilot. Would you still purchase a Pilot over Highlander? I drive both 2012 Highalnder and Pilot, both cost 32K. Honda is higher quality as the toyo feels flimsy and cheaper. Honda has leather steering wheel which feels better than the Toy's rubber unit. Both made in usa with lots of common parts from tier one suppliers--same as dodge and ford too. Build quality is NOT on par with past japanese built models, but is on par with the two top USA built models. I opted for Honda and Toyota given the Dodge, Ford, Chevy history with oddball motors and transmission woes, but am not convinced that this is still the case. The Highlander is much quicker than the honda, well at least mine. The ford Explorer would have won out, but I didn't trust all the touch screens, and prefer real buttons and simplicity. Bleutooth and stereo sorta blow, no shuffle option for ipod or hard drive, sunroof was installed wrong, and no wiring or actual tow ability included with factory tow package. Kit was a pain to install given so much of the interior needed to be removed. Suspension is now too soft compared to past models and makes towing a little tricky with lane changes. I've 3k miles on both vehicles.
bonjo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

1) Price - $33600 (DH included) + Tax Good or bad? 2WD or 4WD? Got my 2012 EX-L AWD for $34,900 OTD. If 2WD, maybe you can get them a little lower.

2) Vibration or humming when A/C compression kicks in? Neither me or my wife has noticed this happening at all.

3) On highway, when ECO kicks in at around 65mph, there is a noticeable feeling of jerking or speed changing. True or false? I will say true, but you rarely notice it. Doesnít seem like it happens all the time either. Speed doesnít change, especially if you have cruise control on. Really, as inconspicuous as the very subtle jerking or stuttering becomes, as long as it saves me gas Ė Iím good!

4) Short vibration when you stop your car with turned steering wheel. Have not had this happen one time, but will be on watch for it.

5) Average gallons to fill at the gas station (before the low gas light comes up) Havenít ran it that low yetÖ It is a 21 gallon tank though. In addition, I decided to top it off at the last fill-up. Got a little over 5 additional gallons in the tank after the pump clicked off. Can drive over approx 100 miles before the gas hand even starts to move.

6) Okay to pump with just regular unleaded? Itís recommended by Honda.

7) Road noise level on highway? It felt really quiet on a 35 mph zone when I test drove it. Very, very quiet on new or newer pavement. On old, rough pavement and concrete roads it can be kind of loud. But I think it is loud on those surfaces in any vehicle. Make sure the OEM tires are Michelin. Not 100% sure, but I think I read somewhere that they are designed to be quieter (and give better mpg).

8) Best color We got black b/c it was the only one on the lot. If you donít mind washing it after almost every trip to anywhere, go for black. Itís beautiful when waxed and shined. However, if I could have chose the color, I would have gotten white or silver. Silver is exceptionally easy to maintain, IMO.

9) Average miles on full tank of gas (your experience) Not sure yet, in the process of getting some measurements.

10) Pilot vs. Highlander, if you can get a full refund on your Pilot. Would you still purchase a Pilot over Highlander? Yes, Pilot all the way. I researched SUVís like crazy and landed on Honda. Toyota builds a fine vehicle. But spending the kind of money a mid size SUV costs, I think you get more with a Pilot. KBB seems to think so too: Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander? The KBB Short Answer - Kelley Blue Book
jcampbell474 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

On #2, I just noticed the humming today when the AC turns on. Up to this point it's been too cold for the AC to run that much. It's most noticeable when the vehicle is sitting idle. I popped the hood and it's not the AC compressor. The noise is coming from the cooling fans. I believe it's the one closest to the driver's side. This makes more sense to me than the power steering pump cited by Honda in some other posts, particularly since the humming only occurs when the AC turns on but the power sterring pump is working the whole time the engine is running.

It's the only problem I've had with the vehicle so I'm just going to wait things out and see if it gets worse. At least a cooling fan is a lot easier to change out than an AC compressor.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default 2012 -AC Hum Is From The Cooling Fans

FYI -I've confirmed the AC hum is from the cooling fans. I unplugged the cooling fans while the AC was running and the hum disappeared. As soon as I plugged them back in, the hum started again. I can't tell yet if it's just the shape of the blades, air leaking around the fan shroud or a bad bearing. If I had to guess I would say there is a slight leak around the fan shroud that is causing a whistling/hum -kind of like blowing across the top of a beer bottle.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #22 (permalink)

I am planning to buy a new 2012 Pilot EX-L Model this week. Please let me know if you have any comments about these items:

1) Price - $33600 (DH included) + Tax Good or bad? I bought used (2010)

2) Vibration or humming when A/C compression kicks in? haven't noticed

3) On highway, when ECO kicks in at around 65mph, there is a noticeable feeling of jerking or speed changing. True or false? have felt it but not consistently, you get used to it.

4) Short vibration when you stop your car with turned steering wheel. Nope

5) Average gallons to fill at the gas station (before the low gas light comes up) 17-18

6) Okay to pump with just regular unleaded? just got rid of my premium civic looked particularly for regular unleaded. I supposed if you have cash to burn go for it!

7) Road noise level on highway? It felt really quiet on a 35 mph zone when I test drove it. better than my civic but I haven't ridden in the back seat down the freeway.

8) Best color love silver but bought dark cherry pearl which I like but shows the dirt.

9) Average miles on full tank of gas (your experience) 350-370

10) Pilot vs. Highlander, if you can get a full refund on your Pilot. Would you still purchase a Pilot over Highlander? I would not, the steering on the pilot was real loose and you always had to steer it to keep you in the lines it felt like. the middle second row seat is for someone with a butt 6 inches wide...not in my family.

good luck!
67malibugirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

On the AC humming, yes when idling and not moving you can hear the hum of the compressor. Hard to say if I have ever noticed this on my 2011, but its not horribly loud or anything.
cwessner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbog View Post
FYI -I've confirmed the AC hum is from the cooling fans. I unplugged the cooling fans while the AC was running and the hum disappeared. As soon as I plugged them back in, the hum started again. I can't tell yet if it's just the shape of the blades, air leaking around the fan shroud or a bad bearing. If I had to guess I would say there is a slight leak around the fan shroud that is causing a whistling/hum -kind of like blowing across the top of a beer bottle.

This all make sense.
The one I'm hearing are the fans as well, I thought it's not a problem and nothing can be done with it. Of course, you can replace it with aftermarket ... just saying.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #25 (permalink)

Our 2012 Touring does not have any of those issues and we love the vehicle.

As far as the AC goes, on every car we own, and have owned, the car will have some mechanical noises and subtle vibrations associated with the operation of the AC, particularly when the car is at idle. This is because the AC compressor, when it cycles, puts a strain on the motor and the fans come on and off to keep the engine cool. The Pilot is actually much better than our old CRV, but then again the CRV was a four cylinder motor and the Pilot is a relatively large six cylinder motor. In any event, unless the vibrations or noise are relatively extreme, or there is a loss of cooling efficiency, this all falls into the category of "normal operating".
Pilot Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOne View Post
This all make sense.
The one I'm hearing are the fans as well, I thought it's not a problem and nothing can be done with it. Of course, you can replace it with aftermarket ... just saying.
It doesn't bother me enough to change out the fans with aftermarket. I just thought I would contribute my findings since it seems from other threads that even the dealers were stumped on the source of the AC humming.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbog View Post
It doesn't bother me enough to change out the fans with aftermarket. I just thought I would contribute my findings since it seems from other threads that even the dealers were stumped on the source of the AC humming.
I might have said it the wrong way, but please do note that I'm agreeing with you.
I'm referring to those who are bothered by the noise, that they can replace the fans if they want to.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOne View Post
I might have said it the wrong way, but please do note that I'm agreeing with you.
I'm referring to those who are bothered by the noise, that they can replace the fans if they want to.
It is very unlikely that replacing the fans would help. All the major manufacturers generally use quality parts-aftermarket stuff is not going to outperform factory parts save for rare cases and specific circumstances not really applicable here.
Pilot Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #29 (permalink)

More than anything, I was worried about the AC humming vibration noise, but it seems this issue is not widely spread. I will be going to the dealer this weekend and be on the look out for this specific issue before purchasing one.
jena_blondie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
skd

I just bought my 2nd Honda Pilot in January - I had a 2009 2WD Black Touring and just purchased the same color and trim for 2012. I think that the 2012 has improved on a number of things - electronics, grill look and a quieter drive for sure. Not so sure that my gas mileage has improved that dramatically.

The thing that is driving me crazy is the vibration and noise when the A/C comes on and off! I live in San Diego and have the A/C on most of the year. I find it very noticeable. I have had it in 3 times now and none of the repairs have worked. I was finally told on this past Friday - that there is no known fix for this but Honda engineering is aware that there is a problem. I understand that not everyone is experiencing this but if I could do it all over - I would done a test drive with the car that I was buying. I thought I knew what I was getting into b/c I was moving from a pilot to a pilot.

For my first couple of visits to service they made me feel like I was being overly sensitive to the sound/vibration - so I am relieved to see that it is being talked about on this forum and that other people are experiencing it. Love my Pilot otherwise - but be careful.
skd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: