Runs bad on highway in eco mode - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Runs bad on highway in eco mode

I have a 2012 exl with res that runs weird on the highway in eco mode. It when holding a steadyspeed on the highway it hickups or runs rough very slightly like i took my foot off of the gas and then reapplied it. no cheak engine light. took it to honda and they said this was normal. also my gas milage has not been over 17.7. Wondering if anyone else has this problemand what kinda milage your all getting
mgreeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did you take it for a test ride BEFORE you bought it? How did it run during the test drive? ECO mode will produce a slight vibration because it's only running on 3 cylinders.
2010exl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

I also get a hiccup or kind of jerk on the freeway, when I drove for 200 miles yesterday but I dismiss it as being part of the road suspension since it doesn't bother me as much. But I've gotten at least 23 mpg at 75mph. And before reaching 3/4 gas, I've driven 130 miles already and not past 3/4's yet. I can expect this car to reach 500miles a tank, I hope.
yoko kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko kai View Post
I also get a hiccup or kind of jerk on the freeway, when I drove for 200 miles yesterday but I dismiss it as being part of the road suspension since it doesn't bother me as much. But I've gotten at least 23 mpg at 75mph. And before reaching 3/4 gas, I've driven 130 miles already and not past 3/4's yet. I can expect this car to reach 500miles a tank, I hope.
Thats sounds about right... On occasion, on our '12 Ex-l.. we go to San Diego from L.A and back, which is about 260 mile round trip.. consuming about 1/2 tank. I raised up my tire pressure a bit to 36-38 psi all around which helped out a bit
Arubs12exl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

I see my ECO light go on and off all the time. I cannot detect any difference in the ride or the engine. I am very light on the pedal also.
DrkAmber2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkAmber2012 View Post
I see my ECO light go on and off all the time. I cannot detect any difference in the ride or the engine. I am very light on the pedal also.
Pretty much sums up my experience. I can feel a slight hesitation as it goes from eco to normal sometimes when I step on the gas but I think its normal. I use cruise control most of the time so I wonder if this makes a difference?
dball711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

When in ECO mode, the car is NOT necessary in less than normal number of cylinders. You won't notice anything actually. ECO mode means that at whatever speed you're in, the car is in its most efficiency on consuming gas.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

I also have the exact same issue. As soon as I get to a constant speed, the eco light comes on & I get a noticeable shall I call it " vibration", or a light stuttering? I get it at all speeds, but is most noticeable on a smooth stretch of road driving @ 65 MPH. Also as soon as I step on the gas & the eco light goes out, the stuttering/vibration stops, as well as letting off the gas, the stuttering/vibration stops. I am very light on the peddle & my best average MPG has been 23. To Yoko Kai, I could see 23 MPG @ 75 MPH if it is all down hill with a strong tail wind

2012 EXL Dark Cherry Pearl, Black Leather

Last edited by mr_brookside; 03-15-2012 at 04:16 PM.
mr_brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuratler View Post
When in ECO mode, the car is NOT necessary in less than normal number of cylinders. You won't notice anything actually. ECO mode means that at whatever speed you're in, the car is in its most efficiency on consuming gas.
Yes.....ECO mode does mean that the engine is running on fewer than 6 cylinders, either 3 or 4 cylinders is all that is being used to run the car.
That's why you feel the slight shudder.
2010exl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

yeah, the shudder seems to be a common thing...i've seen it mentioned numerous times in my short time as a member here....ours does it as well...i most often feel it at lower/medium speeds, usually trying to drive with a light foot say anywhere between 25-50mph....it can be a little annoying at times....but out on the Interstate it seems to do just fine...we've made a couple 1,200+ mile round-trips to MS and back with pretty smooth sailing
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default It's a known event

The Honda dealer service advisor told me it's perfectly normal, and "Honda has known about this since 2009".

I feel a slight shuddering at times with my LX. No big deal to me, unless it gets stronger in the future.
Unca Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to ldburroughs

To be honest, I'm not sure you should feel anything when it switches into ECO mode. I've owned a 2011 and a 2012 Pilot and we also have a 2011 Odyssey with ECO mode and have never once experienced a shutter or hesitation. It shouldn't jerk or hesitate at all if everything is working properly. Then again, maybe I just don't notice it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L (traded in for 2012 Honda Pilot)
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L (traded in for 2011 Honda Pilot)

Last edited by ldburroughs; 05-02-2012 at 05:38 AM.
ldburroughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default same on my 2012 Touring

See the thread by used2b1 on the subject of vibration in ECO mode.
USED2B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

I had a 2012 DCP EX-L w/ RES that was purchased on March 24th with 5 miles on the odometer. We did not test drive this vehicle as we had test driven several others that worked great and this one was on the rack in front of the dealership. Immediately my wife and I noticed the hesitation/shuddering with the engine especially when travelling on a flat road in "ECO" mode and then climbing a freeway overpass or hill. The hesitation/shuddering was very noticeable. I figured maybe the engine just needed a "break-in period". Three weeks later still doing it. Took it in for service on April 13th and told they tested the gas and it was ok. They did a treatment to the engine ???? (my wife took the car in so I don't know what they did). They also said to change the brand of gas that we were using (Valero at the time) even though the gas tested ok. Next day the problem was worse. We took the vehicle back on April 14th and have not gotten the vehicle back since. The service manager said they received guidance from Honda, replaced several parts (he didn't say which ones) and have not been able to isolate the problem. Finally last week a Honda engineer was flown in to look at the vehicle and said the vehicle needed the drive shafts replaced. He flew out, they replaced the shafts and guess what...it didn't work. During this span we have had several meetings with the service manager and a managing partner of the dealership, which I'd like to add have been very helpful and accommodating (they provided us with a rental during this time and made our May payment). Finally on May 12th we received a call from the dealership letting us know that Honda is taking back the car and providing us with a new vehicle. I picked up what we had left in the vehicle on May 14th and was told that we should be able to take delivery within the next week or so. Hope no one else has to go through this.
mas2172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

mas2172, that's a horrible story, but I am glad to hear they are making it right. It also sounds like they have treated you well (providing a rental and making your payment). I wish you the best with your new Pilot.
pointech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: