2012 Touring starts hard or takes 3 tries to start - Page 8 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #106 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantyGal View Post
Just to add my experience, I picked up my new Pilot Touring 4WD on 2/29/12 and both my husband and I have experienced the hard start issue at least once per day...sometimes it starts right off, other times it takes 2 tries to get it started. While it seems like this is a common issue and doesn't appear to leave anyone stranded, I am disappointed with my first Honda and their supposed reliability. I traded in a 2010 Infiniti EX35 with 50,000 miles and I never had one single issue. I also drove a 2005 4Runner which was completely error-free for 60,000+ miles. I love the handling and space of the Honda, but having starter problems after day one and quite a few rattles (visor, which again seems to be a common complaint), I am disappointed. I expected better quality from Honda. Not sure I would recommend this vehicle after experiencing starter issues from day one. I drive 80 miles per day and I can't afford to have an unreliable vehicle. I chose Honda because of its reputation for quality and reliability. So far it's been a miss for me. I still love how it drives, I just don't have confidence in it now. Sorry!
I know it's only been about 3 days but I would recommend making an appointment with your dealership. From what I read on here, it sounds like honda is aware of the issue and could very well issue a fix soon. By bringing it to the attention of your dealership service dept. you may get more information about the issue leading to better piece of mind and you may get notification if/when a fix is issued.
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #107 (permalink)

I jsut watched the video and dang, that is bad. My advice would be to document all of your visits and make sure they give you a proper write up of your described issue on the work order. Also, make sure that it's documented that they are aware of the issue that your brought up and that they were able to duplicate it but are unable to solve the problem. It seems like this is on its way to being lemoned. I would suggest you begin looking into lemoning the car assuming that they're not able to solve the issue within (I believe) it's osmething like 3 or 4 reasonable attempts to correct the issue.
halfmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #108 (permalink)

I just got my new 2012 Honda Pilot back from the dealership today because it did the crank, but not start problem twice. Of course they didn't fix anything and told me to video the sound it was making when it wouldn't start so they would have an idea of how to fix it. I have had 2 Hondas before this one and I loved them. I am thoroughly disappointed with the Pilot after this experience. Don't get me wrong everything else about my car I love, but if you're going to leave me and my 4 year old strandad somewhere....NO THANK YOU!!! I'm glad to know it's not just my Pilot.
fairmel80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #109 (permalink)

Anyone have any successful resolution on this issue?
robertc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc View Post
Anyone have any successful resolution on this issue?
Ever since we started using the "flick" method to start the car per the manual we have never had the issue repeat itself....so hopefully we're in the clear.
duffycoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffycoug View Post
Ever since we started using the "flick" method to start the car per the manual we have never had the issue repeat itself....so hopefully we're in the clear.
The 'flick' method did NOTHING for me...
bpmoen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #112 (permalink)

Just a quick update, I now have 1200 miles on my Touring and the hard start issue seems to have gone away after experiencing it multiple times the first week. Could be due to the warmer weather or just everything settling in, but so far no continuing issues. Even the annoying visor squeak is gone! Hoping it's a good trend! I love how the Honda handles! Looking to add some pinstriping to the DAM...looks a little bland.
MantyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #113 (permalink)

Update on our 2012 Pilot starting problem.
The local dealer acknowledged there is a problem with the vehicle. They said that Corporate Honda is aware of the problem and currently investigating it. Another dealer says that they expect more information from Corporate Honda by the end of March.
I experienced another extended start anomaly on March 2. Captured it on video.
We have tried starting the vehicle following the procedure in the owner’s manual (turn to Position III and release) and also pausing in Position II prior to turning to Position III and releasing. We have experienced extended starting events using both methods.
~ 3700 miles on the vehicle now.
skicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #114 (permalink)

Well, not glad to hear you are experiencing the problem, but definitely glad to hear that Honda has FINALLY acknowledged that there is a problem and hopefully will get it fixed. Best of luck to all with getting this issue resolved soon. Please report back here with your experiences. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #115 (permalink)

Anyone have any news to share about a potential resolution of this issue?
Old 04-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #116 (permalink)

Add mine to the list with the starting problem :-(

2012 EX-L picked up less than two weeks ago. Went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. Happened when I tried to start for the trip home.
karlpenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #117 (permalink)

Crossing my fingers, no starting issues on our 2012 Touring. We picked it up March 31st and it starts every time.
my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #118 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Im2c0oL Send a message via Yahoo to Im2c0oL

I see two 2012 used with 800miles and 200miles was offered when I was shopping last week, I think maybe those were buy back vehicles from lemon law... Any ways I feel happy to hold back my upgrade to 2012, I found a good deal on fixing my transmission torque converter so I'm keeping it till they resolved all the issues and hopefully by the time i'm ready for upgrade they will have a better redesign on the Pilot with AWD.

RX330 AFS + TSX-R + Curve Shield | Hella Gen 3 55w | Osram CBI 5500k | Putco 2800k H11 Fog
Im2c0oL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #119 (permalink)

Just a quick update since my last post. Now at 3700 miles we have not had another single starting issue for the last 2 months. Is it just a break-in period issue? Can't say... I have read where others have had the starter problem, and then say it goes away once they get a few thousand miles on the motor.

Here's is a re-cap of our experience. Day one had starter turn over for about 7 seconds, and then fail to start. Second turn of the key started right up. This happened about 8 times over the next two months. Then didn't happen for about 2 months. Happened again 4 times over the next week, and now hasn't happened for another 2+ months. Let's hope it is gone now.
NJEPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJEPilot View Post
Just a quick update since my last post. Now at 3700 miles we have not had another single starting issue for the last 2 months. Is it just a break-in period issue? Can't say... I have read where others have had the starter problem, and then say it goes away once they get a few thousand miles on the motor.

Here's is a re-cap of our experience. Day one had starter turn over for about 7 seconds, and then fail to start. Second turn of the key started right up. This happened about 8 times over the next two months. Then didn't happen for about 2 months. Happened again 4 times over the next week, and now hasn't happened for another 2+ months. Let's hope it is gone now.
For us, it happened exactly once - the day after we drove it home. But since ours was on the showroom and had been de-energized and jumped again repeatedly, I figured it was probably more that than any other problem. Bought in late Dec of 2011, here we are 4 months later and it hasn't happened since.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: