2012 Pilot sluggish from stop - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 Pilot sluggish from stop

bought this Honda last fall, its an EX L with 111,000 miles..........i Love it..........great vehicle imo.

but one little problem that has been present since i purchased it, the Engine is sluggish when i want to accelerate, i'm not sure if it's more noticeable from a stop or not, one person suggested the Mass Air Flow sensor may need to be cleaned, i did that today, still have a problem.

I have no codes, i did the 100,000 service with the new belt, water pump, Plugs, Filters, ect.

the sluggish engine will only last a second or tw, maybe up to 5 , then it's like the afterburners kick in and it runs great. I hate to take it to a Honda store, i could end up replacing all kinds of parts and still not fix the issue..........

any ideas...........if i left out any descriptive terms, let me know, i like to fix these issues myself, if i can save the money..........

thanks for your time, and i do enjoy your Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:44 PM

Have you tried installing a VC Muzzler? My 2013 is much more peppy with it installed, plus there are many more benefits to the health of the engine also.

2004 Pilot EX-L
2013 Pilot Touring
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

When did you last replace the ATF?

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggerland1 View Post
Have you tried installing a VC Muzzler? My 2013 is much more peppy with it installed, plus there are many more benefits to the health of the engine also.
no i haven't, i have read a little about those, both pro and con. maybe i need to read more to understand the benefits better.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
When did you last replace the ATF?
ok, i gotta plead guilty here, what is an "ATF"?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddie01 View Post
ok, i gotta plead guilty here, what is an "ATF"?
maybe Automatic Trans Fluid? if so, yes it was serviced shortly after i purchased the Pilot, but to ask , why would that cause the problem i mentioned?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:45 PM

I agree with @Chiggerland1 . Sluggishness from a stop sounds VCM-related. Muzzle that bad boy and be surprised by how smooth this engine is when not bogged down by VCM.

Also, do you use Top Tier gas? Try throwing in a bottle of Techron the next time you fill up.

2013 Pilot EX-L 4WD: 40K miles
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
I agree with @Chiggerland1 . Sluggishness from a stop sounds VCM-related. Muzzle that bad boy and be surprised by how smooth this engine is when not bogged down by VCM.

Also, do you use Top Tier gas? Try throwing in a bottle of Techron the next time you fill up.
Top Tier? do you higher octane or maybe Shell or BP vs joes corner station. Will try the Techron

am reading more about the Muzzle...........there is a memeber here that produces one and sells it? is there a link to his product?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddie01 View Post
Top Tier? do you higher octane or maybe Shell or BP vs joes corner station. Will try the Techron

am reading more about the Muzzle...........there is a memeber here that produces one and sells it? is there a link to his product?
i'm reading the information provided by verbatim, seems most are very happy with his solution, lengthy discussion, informative. Sounds like a possible solution to my problem.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 10:10 PM

FWIW, you are right at the edge of Timing Belt Replacement, and some other services that get done around the same time. The timing belt alone won't affect the performance the way you describe, but the new plugs that typically go in about the same time will. The timing belt is a serious service, $$ enough that cars on the verge of due sometimes get sold off before the MM code pops up. Check your service history and see if you might be a victim of this habit.

Otherwise, I vote ++ for the muzzler. It seems to solve a few driveability issues. I do have to admit that I didn't seem to suffer from any off-the-line lag that couldn't be solved by pressing harder on the skinny pedal when needed. The Hondas seem to need some engine RPM to make serious launch power. It's short on low-end torque compared with other cars in the fleet, but in the end it's enough better on fuel to make up the difference. Push harder on the pedal and see if it helps. Don't be afraid of letting the engine rev some; it's designed that way on purpose.

dr bob

2013 Touring in Alabaster Silver with black inside. Has LED interior lights now, full rubber mats, and the deluxe running boards added.

In the high desert of central Oregon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

My thought on the transmission fluid ATF, if prior owners failure to change it could be stopping the transmission from dropping into first. Too much dirt in the system affects its performance.

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr bob View Post
FWIW, you are right at the edge of Timing Belt Replacement, and some other services that get done around the same time. The timing belt alone won't affect the performance the way you describe, but the new plugs that typically go in about the same time will. The timing belt is a serious service, $$ enough that cars on the verge of due sometimes get sold off before the MM code pops up. Check your service history and see if you might be a victim of this habit.

Otherwise, I vote ++ for the muzzler. It seems to solve a few driveability issues. I do have to admit that I didn't seem to suffer from any off-the-line lag that couldn't be solved by pressing harder on the skinny pedal when needed. The Hondas seem to need some engine RPM to make serious launch power. It's short on low-end torque compared with other cars in the fleet, but in the end it's enough better on fuel to make up the difference. Push harder on the pedal and see if it helps. Don't be afraid of letting the engine rev some; it's designed that way on purpose.
yes, i did the Belt along with the other 100K service items, Plugs, filters, water pump, etc.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

thanks all for your help.........

i just signed up to your forum yesterday.........
since i am new, i guess i can't send a pm to verbatim. i wanted to inquire about purchasing a Muzzel, but i guess i can't in a PM. Rules?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

2012 Pilot sluggish from stop

Sorry yup a few more posts will open up you pm ability. Spammers once spammed via PM in another forum, so AutoGuide dropped the curtain

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

thanks Rocky, i noticed that Verbatim posted his email in the other forum about his invention, the Muzzel, so i sent him an email. Sounds like a great fix for this little problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: