2012 key broken - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 key broken

My key fob is breaking at the base of the key where the tiny screw is located. I found a blank key case for less than 10 dollars on the Internet. If I buy a replacement key case and put the electronics from the original key into the new case can I just have the new blank cut and start using it? In other words, are all the electronics located in the four button module or is there a chip in the key itself that will require programming?

2012 Touring in cherry pearl ...58006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:24 AM

Garage
I couldn't tell you for sure for a 2012, but that's what I did for my 2006, it works fine, and now I have two flip keys I'm very happy with. Understand that "electronics" means door lock remote and immobilizer chip.

Program 2005 Pilot Key

Key fobs not working

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(green);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)

Last edited by plplplpl; 03-25-2017 at 12:26 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:31 AM

All of the electronics are in the module, nothing in the key.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah68jsp View Post
My key fob is breaking at the base of the key where the tiny screw is located. I found a blank key case for less than 10 dollars on the Internet. If I buy a replacement key case and put the electronics from the original key into the new case can I just have the new blank cut and start using it? In other words, are all the electronics located in the four button module or is there a chip in the key itself that will require programming?

Yes this is exactly what you can do. Remove the guts, including the chip (look on YouTube for instructions) then get the key cut by a dealer.

2012 Pilot 4WD EX-L w/ Nav - Alabaster Silver on Black
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Ok, point of clarification then, is the "chip" located inside the four button module or in the base of the metal key where it is anchored to the back of the plastic shell?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 08:57 PM

Garage
Wedged into a little cranny inside the black shell.

As I mentioned in my first link, the immobilizer chip is a little tricky to dig out and transfer without damaging, so do it carefully, or better yet have it done by a professional locksmith you'll have to take it to anyway to get the key cut. Call ahead and find one that does these types of car keys, because not a lot of them do. That was actually the most expensive part, getting the key cut, for $40.

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
(green);
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Got it. Thanks.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:41 AM

Yes, that is what I did for my 2013 Pilot.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post
Wedged into a little cranny inside the black shell.

As I mentioned in my first link, the immobilizer chip is a little tricky to dig out and transfer without damaging, so do it carefully, or better yet have it done by a professional locksmith you'll have to take it to anyway to get the key cut. Call ahead and find one that does these types of car keys, because not a lot of them do. That was actually the most expensive part, getting the key cut, for $40.
Batteries Plus cuts them for $10
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:28 AM

I just got one at the dealer for $38, programmed and cut.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaltimes View Post
Batteries Plus cuts them for $10
Thanks, I didn't know that, I will call my local store and find out if they will cut a key I need for my 2011 Civic Si

2013 EXL
Alabaster Silver/w black leather interior
Full LED interior lights
Philips CrystalVision Ultra Headlight, Fogs & DRL's
Weathertech mats
Honda lighted running boards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: