Camping - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Camping

I've got a 2015 Honda Pilot. Does anyone sleep in the back while car-camping?

Is there any battery drain from leaving the rear tailgate up while laying in the back, that anyone is aware of?

And also, does anyone know if rainwater leaks between the open hatch and the interior of the vehicle (along the hinge area) or if it is channeled away and to the sides of the vehicle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

You've only got four or so feet of space back there so it's cramped but doable.
I car camped in my Defender last weekend in VT. Four feet of space plus folded down passenger seat.

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:30 AM

Since the seats fold down flat it is totally doable. Although the floor slants to the rear some. Hopefully one wouldn't find their feet hanging out in the wee hours.
I've laid in the back of our '15 and at 6'2" i wanted just a bit more room bit it was tolerable. There's almost as much legnth as in the back of our other vehicle, an '02 chevy tahoe.
Not sure about water shedding but you could experiment with a garden hose.
As for battery drain, you can switch to led bulbs (assuming they aren't now) and the draw will be very minimal.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Last edited by sabbatical; 03-25-2017 at 08:33 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
You've only got four or so feet of space back there so it's cramped but doable.
I car camped in my Defender last weekend in VT. Four feet of space plus folded down passenger seat.
Well, I was thinking with the second row down as well. That's about six feet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:35 PM

I do it quite often when fishing for a weekend. I've learned a few tricks.

1. I've learned it best to move the front seats all the way forward when time to sleep. I also move the seat backs forward so this gives me a lot more space.

2. I leave the smaller portion of the back seat up so I can use that area to sit, change clothes, put shoes on, etc. Also it is a lot easier to get in and out of the car for a potty break!

3. Behind the driver's seat, I put a camp pad down and then use twin sheets, blankets, pillows from home. I find them so much more comfortable than a sleeping bag...but I'm over 6' tall and hate being confined in a sleeping bag.

4. I've also drained the battery by leaving the radio on all night.... Don't do that.

5. I find this arrangement very comfortable and much better than a tent. Close the doors, lock it up, and enjoy the peace and quiet with no fear of rain or putting away a wet tent after a weekend.

6. If you lock the doors at night...don't forget that the security alarm will go off when you get out to go pee in the middle of the night unless you unlock the doors first with the key.

Anyway, it works great for me! Capacity of one adult in comfort.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:00 PM

Camping

I have an 07, Im over 6 foot tall and Ive slept in the Pilot many times. I agree with what others have listed. What worked best for me was two thick foam camping pads under me. That made it comfortable enough. The slant toward the back is just fine for me but might not work for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 20Piloteer07; 03-26-2017 at 09:03 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:01 AM

Leaving the rear tail gate up may cause it to get stuck in the up position. The Hydraulic pistons locks up and you'll need to push it upwards a bunch of times to coax it back down.

2013 Pilot Touring
White on black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: