Sluggish acceleration issues. - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sluggish acceleration issues.

I am having a pretty bad hesitation issue or more of a loss of power below 2700 rpm. Basically starting off from a light or pulling out in traffic when I give it from light - 3/4 throttle it does not want to go anywhere. It surges while barely accelerating and then around 2700-2800 rpm its like someone flicked a lightswitch on and it takes off like a bat out of hell. Its getting to the point where I want to get rid of the truck because Ive almost been hit a few times pulling out in traffic. I have my homemade vcm muzzler (100 ohm resistor) installed and I feel like this might be unrelated but when I took it off for a week, this issue was way less noticeable. Also ive noticed on warm up cycle it does not happen at all and its way worse when the truck has been idling for awhile or its very hot out. Ive scoured the internet for people with anything like this problem and have found nothing. I have reset the ecu several times with no changes. I have used our matco scanner at work to relearn ckp pattern, and the adaptive throttle learn. I get no misfire codes or any other cel other than a coolant temp code when the seasons change 2 separate times over the past year. I took it to my friend at honda who updated the pcm and still no change. It is a 2012 with 60k miles, k&n drop in filter, 2" lift, 31" tires. Any suggestions or theorys would be appreciated. I love everything else about the truck but it is very annoying. Please help piloteers!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1471827051399.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	92841  

Last edited by Hardface; 08-23-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:01 PM

Garage
Do you still have stock tires? Try driving with them and lower your ohms. CEL never comes on at 82 ohms. Off topic questions. Your front grill, what method did you use to black it out. Also the bumper trim did you install yourself?

Last edited by Bluensleepy; 08-21-2016 at 09:13 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluensleepy View Post
Do you still have stock tires? Try driving with them and lower your ohms. CEL never comes on at 82 ohms. Off topic questions. Your front grill, what method did you use to black it out. Also the bumper trim did you install yourself?
I do have them. Ill try that. I had the grille painted and I will soon be painting the headlight housings. I did install the bumper trim. I found it on ebay.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 09:56 PM
xGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardface View Post
I am having a pretty bad hesitation issue or more of a loss of power below 2700 rpm. Basically starting off from a light or pulling out in traffic when I give it from light - 3/4 throttle it does not what to go anywhere. It surges while barely accelerating and then around 2700-2800 rpm its like someone flicked a lightswitch in and it takes off like a bat out of hell. ...
It is a 2012 with 60k miles, k&n drop in filter, ...
Any suggestions or theorys would be appreciated.
K&N Air Filters?

2003 EX
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:37 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to pilotscotinky Send a message via Yahoo to pilotscotinky
i have the same issue with mine. it seems to be better this week, but it's a serious safety concern. you may want to take it in and see if you are due for the PCM update. honestly, it's about to get traded for a new Highlander.

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

K&N Air Filters? I thought maybe the k&n had contaminated the maf sensor so I swapped it and the map sensor out from a know good pilot with no change. Maybe I will try a stock filter just to cover all bases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotscotinky View Post
i have the same issue with mine. it seems to be better this week, but it's a serious safety concern. you may want to take it in and see if you are due for the PCM update. honestly, it's about to get traded for a new Highlander.
Im glad to hear im not the only one in the world with this problem. I did have the pcm updated and no change. Do you have a vcm muzzler on your's?
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 11:23 PM
AVC

Exactly the same issue. Since I bought mine '12 in 2015. Noticeable in warmer weather with A/C on. My wife complianed about it last week.

When it happens pretty much no throttle response until RPM's get to 2500 or so, then it's like, as you describe, someone flipped a switch.

Not immedietaly suspecting a fuel system issue, since that wouldn't suddenly fix itself every time at 2500 RPM.

Will be pulling the EGR valave to inspect. Maybe pop the intake plenum cover to inspect.

I've ordered a new set of Iridium plugs, half expectig the issue to be residual effect of running 50k miles with that $##$! VCM activated. It beem "Muzzled" for about 20k miles.

===================================

'12 Pilot EX-L
'08 Highlander
'02 Highlander
'03 Pilot EX (departed)
'01 Civic EX (departed)
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVC View Post
Exactly the same issue. Since I bought mine '12 in 2015. Noticeable in warmer weather with A/C on. My wife complianed about it last week.

When it happens pretty much no throttle response until RPM's get to 2500 or so, then it's like, as you describe, someone flipped a switch.

Not immedietaly suspecting a fuel system issue, since that wouldn't suddenly fix itself every time at 2500 RPM.

Will be pulling the EGR valave to inspect. Maybe pop the intake plenum cover to inspect.

I've ordered a new set of Iridium plugs, half expectig the issue to be residual effect of running 50k miles with that $##$! VCM activated. It beem "Muzzled" for about 20k miles.
I had the same thought of what could it be since above 2500 it runs perfect. Its feels like it the ecu is pulling the timing below 2500 rpm. Ours had 38k miles when we bought it and has been muzzled for 22k miles. Thank you for sharing! and please post any results or lack of results.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 06:40 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to pilotscotinky Send a message via Yahoo to pilotscotinky
not muzzled

Mine is not muzzled, yet.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:29 AM

One possibility is that your VCM is stuck "on"

What you are describing is similar to what happens when one of the VCM solenoid oil pressure switches goes bad. The vehicle sets a p3400 code and runs in 3 or 4 cylinder mode all the time.

As a test, I would suggest the following:
Remove the muzzler
Disconnect the oil pressure switch on the VCM solenoid.
There are 2 of these. One on the drivers side of the rear cylinder head, and one on the passenger side of the front cylinder head. Disconnecting either one will shut down the VCM operation, and will most likely set a check engine light if you don't have one already.
See if the vehicle runs better.

Report back and let us know how this worked out.

2010 Pilot EX-L, 2009 VW Jetta, 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:50 AM

Try turning off the "Eco" mode. Since I turned mine off, the car and AC performance has improved greatly.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:09 AM
xGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenspilot16 View Post
Try turning off the "Eco" mode. Since I turned mine off, the car and AC performance has improved greatly.
How is that done on a 2012 Pilot?

2003 EX
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010exl View Post
One possibility is that your VCM is stuck "on"

What you are describing is similar to what happens when one of the VCM solenoid oil pressure switches goes bad. The vehicle sets a p3400 code and runs in 3 or 4 cylinder mode all the time.

As a test, I would suggest the following:
Remove the muzzler
Disconnect the oil pressure switch on the VCM solenoid.
There are 2 of these. One on the drivers side of the rear cylinder head, and one on the passenger side of the front cylinder head. Disconnecting either one will shut down the VCM operation, and will most likely set a check engine light if you don't have one already.
See if the vehicle runs better.

Report back and let us know how this worked out.
I dont have any check engine lights but I will try this anyways to rule it out. Thank you!
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 PM

Garage
When was last time you checked or changed your spark plugs? I notices a difference after I changed mine.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardface View Post
I dont have any check engine lights but I will try this anyways to rule it out. Thank you!
Also make sure the engine oil level is correct. Low oil level is listed as a possible cause of the P3400 code related to the operation of the VCM solenoid. (I know you don't have any codes stored but this is related to my earlier post)

2010 Pilot EX-L, 2009 VW Jetta, 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: