Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Abnormal Tire Wear, Result of Bulletin 15-045 Front Suspension Rear Lower Arm Bushin

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dr bob 
#1 ·
I had a warranty replacement in reference to Bulletin #15-045 - Front Suspension Rear Lower Arm Bushing. I had one side leaking and the opposite side was cracked. This was just recently replaced under warranty. I had noticed an abnormal tear wear on one side - the outside of the tire is bald - the other tires don't look like this, but I also feel that they have worn more quickly than usual.
When I google the problem with the tire, I come up with the above warranty issue as a cause. I have less that 40,000 miles on my OEM Michelin tires (Michelin warranty would normally be 60,000). The issue was brushed off by the Honda dealer. Anyone else have this issue? I feel like the tires have worn prematurely.

#2 ·
I feel like i have the same issue you had. They recently did the 15-045A on my front tires in January 2017. When they did the maintenance, my tire tread was 7 both front tires. Today, 4/21/17, i brought my car in for maintenance and ask them to look at the tire wear prematurely. Honda dealer said both front tires wear off and unsafe to use. It's down to 4 & 2. How did it get from 7 to 4 and 2 on each side? The one that is 2 even have internal belts visible.

#4 ·
Have you come across more of this same complaint about 15-045A? The tire i have less than a year. It's warranty for 55K. This is unusual. When they replace the 14-045A, they never told or recommend us to get alignment check. That would have been helpful if they have told me. I will see if i can try to contact Honda Dealer who had done the work before i reach out to the Honda Corporate. Thanks @mclasser!

#6 ·
I have 38800 miles on my 15. Stock Michelins are worn evenly but almost at the wear bars. The Pilot has been aligned twice since new tire rotated every 5K, rebalanced one, and alway nitro. I was just writing it off as manufacturers tires being less of a tire.

Did you have the compliance bushings replaced? That's the OP's question.

#8 ·
I went back to Honda dealer today. Asking them did they ever check an alignment after they have replace #15-045 - Front Suspension Rear Lower Arm Bushing. Service guy said...no...it's not necessary...shouldn't effect the alignment when they replace that piece. However, they also did check break pad on my tire that same day they replace the #15-045 Arm Bushing on my car. Isn't it necessary to check the alignment after you remove the tires to replace the piece and check the break pad?

I insisted on having them redo the alignment on my car due to the fact that my new tire won't come in until next week. I don't feel safe driving this car and doesn't want to ruin the good two tires i have rotate to the front right now. I have learned today that Honda dealer doesn't always check the alignment when they did rotate the tires on every oil change. This is terrible! They should have at least check the alignment every time the tires came out of the car.

#9 ·
Alignment should hav been checked as part of the compliance bushing replacement. They removed and replaced a critical mounting for each of the the lower control arms, so alignment would certainly be at risk.

However, it's not needed when brake pads are inspected or tires are rotated. Neither taking tires on and off, nor looking through the backs of the brake calipers at the pad thickness poses any risk to wheel alignment.

---

All that said, K's 4Runner comes back from every major service at the Toyota dealer with an alignment report as part of that service. 25-30k Intervals for her "majors", each of which has some odd service attached beyond the basics. They have a drive-on alignment-check setup, separate from the guy who actually inspects suspension bits and makes any adjustments. You just drive on, and the rollers roll and spit out the settings. Much faster than my tired wrench-holding hands can even get the fixtures attached to the wheels when I do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.