Chirp/squeak from steering column (2013) - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Chirp/squeak from steering column (2013)

Apologies if this has been covered, I couldn't find it in a search.
We bought an EX 4wd 2013 about 2 months ago. It was on a dealer trade so we never test drove the actual vehicle.
Shortly after getting it, any sort of bumps (I'm talking normal city driving) would produce a squeak, or chirp noise from around the steering column. It's the sort of thing if you hear it you keep hearing it and can't stop. Thinking that maybe it'll work itself out we let it go for 2000 miles (mostly smooth highway driving for that, so it wasn't much of a bother). Finally we took it in to the dealer...after some back and forth they said it was the combination switch and completely replaced it. They didnt say exactly what was wrong with it, but the unit worked. So replacing it i can only guess was required to get it to sit right? They also said that they took 3 other Pilots on their lot out and heard them "chirp". (They tried to play the "all pilots make this noise" card)
Anyways, the chirp is mostly better after the new unit, but still comes back on some bumps.

My questions:
Does anyone else have this problem? If so have you got your dealer to fix it?
It doesn't usually bother me, but it drives my wife nuts...so I'm sort of gearing up for another showdown with the dealer. Do you think this is a lost cause, or no way: a new vehicle shouldn't make obnoxious noises!

Thanks!
Keveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm having the same problem. Bringing it in to the dealer soon. Some days it is very annoying. just have not had the time to bring it in. First time in Honda. This is my third product.
chubtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine does the same thing when I turn the steering wheel to the right. I might take it back to the dealer before I need an oil change, it's annoying.
Unca Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Willing to bet that either plastic is rubbing or there is a bearing holding the column that is improperly lubricated. Since several people are having this issue, it might be more common than we think and become TSB territory.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wife just told me ours is doing this. Will get it checked out at dealer and post findings.
Scott18720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

This was a common problem on Honda Ridgelines just search Ridgeline steering wheel noise. In most cases the fix is to replace the cable reel.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Glad? I'm not the only one and I'm not crazy

I haven't taken it back in, call it laziness or fear Ill just get the run around. It'll soon drive me crazy enough to deal with it.

I too read about the cable reel but felt like it had something to do with turning the wheel (maybe that's not the case), I can say it chirps with just straight driving over bumps. Ill bring up the cable reel when I bring it back.
Interested to hear if anyones dealer actually fixes it for good though.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

FWIW

Wife just called after leaving dealership (Joe Morgan Honda). Said she was treated like royalty. No paperwork, no nothing. Free latte and some sort of danish.

Tech drove the car for 2 minutes and noted the squeak/chirp. Entered the info in some national Honda database and it told him to check some specific bolts that hold the dash to the frame. He told her the computer said this had been the diagnosis of other techs on various models newly delivered from factory. He found that some of these bolts were loose, and was able to locate where one was rubbing on some trim plastic. Tightened everything up, and a few minutes later she rolled out in a freshly washed ride...sans squeaks.

Since I don't know if our squeak is the same as yours (I never get to ride in ours), YMMV.

Good luck.

Last edited by Scott18720; 05-16-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Scott18720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had tons of squeeks and rattles in my dash and found some loose bolts under that plastic panel on the right side of the dash that faces the right door. The dealer also found that the radio was loose and they shimmed it up and installed some foam. These Pilots have issues with noises in the dash area. Apparently, if you methodically check every nut, bolt and metal to metal contact surface, you can eliminate them, but it is not a fast or easy process.
OEM nerf bars
OEM rear splash guards
2006 OEM 4wd emblem
Blacked out front and rear bumper garnish
OEM accessory rubber cargo mat
Garmin GPS
Full size spare on OEM alloy rim
Aftermarket tinted windows
OEM accessory fog light kit
OEM accessory cargo cover
Silver painted grill
Body colored door/side moldings
Acura stainless exhaust tips
KYB GR2 struts/shocks
Curt 13328 Hitch
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Resolved?

Just a quick note in case anyone comes upon this forum... I took it back to the dealer today. They had a regional rep around who helped diagnose the problem.
Best that they'd explain: they had to realign the steering column as it would rub on the car body in some place.
Only thing the maintenance slip says was realign steering column per bulletin. To me that sounds like some sort of known issue. Or maybe I don't know car lingo speak of "per bulletin"

Hopefully this resolves any other steering column squeaks out there in a timiler manner than mine.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Help!!!

Has anyone found a full resolution to this? We purchased a 2013 Pilot about 2 months ago and the chirping/squeaking is driving me insane. Most of the time it sounds like the noise is coming from under the dash on the drivers side, but then sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the back of the car somewhere. Took it into the dealer today to get it fixed and they said the front suspension bolts were loose and tightened them up which stopped the noise. I was driving for more than 2 minutes after the dealer and BANG the chirping is back! HELP!!!
moodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

I kinda suspect I have a similar issue with my 2013. Mine is a faint chirp like noise, but it really has only happened on snow packed roads which are bumpy etc. Around town I have not noticed it. The sound is coming from the dash area... My issue is that I suspect the dealer would have to drive on some of the same snow packed roads by my house to exactly duplicate the issue.
kruegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

My 2013 was doing this when I first got it, and like others have said it was noticeable over bumps in the road. I must say though that this noise seems to have disappeared - I don't hear it anymore now after 6000 miles. Maybe something loosened up? In any event, seems to be gone on mine. I was going to point it out to the dealer but I don't hear it anymore.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruegs View Post
I kinda suspect I have a similar issue with my 2013. Mine is a faint chirp like noise, but it really has only happened on snow packed roads which are bumpy etc. Around town I have not noticed it. The sound is coming from the dash area... My issue is that I suspect the dealer would have to drive on some of the same snow packed roads by my house to exactly duplicate the issue.
I think I have the same noise now on my 2012 Pilot, especially on bumpy roads, sounds like some bolt/plastic parts loose ... I am also suspect the dealer can duplicate the issue or just get back to me say they can not find anything wrong .... BTW, I also have another creaking noise in my dash board on cold weather...

Last edited by ajun217; 01-29-2014 at 10:31 AM.
ajun217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: