Headrest: too far forward? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Headrest: too far forward?

Hey All,

I've had my new 2012 Pilot for a few months now and I love it! I'm constantly reminded of how awesome and polished it is.

But there's one thing that's been bothering me: the front seat headrest seems to push my head forward too much. I've never had this happen in any other car, even other Hondas. The bubble shape to the headrest sticks out so far that I can't help but touch it. I never realized this before buying our Pilot, but apparently I prefer to hold my head up on my own. Now, unless I slouch exceedingly or recline the seatback to gansta-lean angles, my head is constantly in contact with the headrest in a fashion that I prefer to reserve for giving my eyes a rest at stoplights.

Is this just an "Feature" of modern car luxury? Always having your head supported? Or maybe it's just happening to me because I'm 6'7" and am so limited on space in the car as it is.

Has anybody else noticed or experienced this? Have any ideas for mitigating the issue?

Candeo
2012 Pilot EX-L 4WD, Crystaline Black
candeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

This topic came up before...and if I remember correctly, the mfg of many types of autos
now have the headrest more forward than before...to reduce whiplash results in the event
of being rearended, etc. I guess the theory is less travel distance ='s less vertebrae
trauma.
And supposedly a mechanism in the back of the seat to sense your wt shifting back during
a collision from the rear... pushes that head rest to meet your head...even before it (your skull) normally would connect with that head rest. Hope that makes sense.
Yeah, I miss having a gap there too to lean my head back a bit to loosen up the 'ol noggin. I raised the height of it hoping it would help. Not really so far.
Of course, I miss rolling down the windows by crank too.
Better safe than whiplashed I guess.
refotsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

My wife had that problem. The salesman suggested we put the headrest in backwards! It worked; however, the purpose of the headrest would have been largely defeated.

Our plan was to take the headrests to an upholsterer and have them reshaped to suit. That is, take them apart, remove some foam and stitch them back together. The salesman had agreed to cover the cost. Fortunately, reshaping was not required as my wife quickly adapted.

Possibly reshaping is something you could try?
GMul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by refotsirk View Post
This topic came up before...and if I remember correctly, the mfg of many types of autos
now have the headrest more forward than before...to reduce whiplash results in the event
of being rearended, etc. I guess the theory is less travel distance ='s less vertebrae
trauma.
And supposedly a mechanism in the back of the seat to sense your wt shifting back during
a collision from the rear... pushes that head rest to meet your head...even before it (your skull) normally would connect with that head rest. Hope that makes sense.

No one cares that you used AutoGuide.com Free App
scooterboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think the intrusive headrests are an excellent example of 'Lawyer-Engineering' - where the form does not follow function but is wholly meant to foil ambulance chasers.

Yes, the problem exists in my EX 4WD. My wife complains bitterly about how the headrests push her head too far forward. Our EX passenger seat is rigidly mounted except for fore/aft slide adj.

We briefly thought of swapping the front & middle seat headrests, but the rods are different widths apart, making them unswappable. Another example of 'Lawyer-Engineering' designed to thwart defeat of poor, anti-lawsuit-design.

I think I will take the front headrests to an upholstery shop and pay to have them re-shaped and re-coverd. I bet I can get the job done locally for less than $100.

Last edited by CO_PILOT; 08-02-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: add more blab
CO_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

I agree that they are too far forward. They are father forward than in the 2011 pilots. I noticed it the second i sat in the seat.... moving it higher helps some but not completely.

2003 TL Type S - Parrot MKi9200, Cargo Tray
AJCHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

TMI???....but interesting...
Procedures for rating seat/head restraints

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res...nts.aspx?honda
RSQ Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: