2012 Oil Question - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2012 Oil Question

I'm a bit old school and would like to use a "dino" 5w20 instead of a synthetic 0w20 in my 2012 Honda Pilot. I live in central California so am not subjected to extreme temperatures. My wife does, however, make several short 10 mile round trips to the High School daily which probably qualifies as severe use. My plan is to take the factory fill down to 10-15% for break-in purposes, than change the oil at 50% MM intervals. More than likely that will equate to OCI's between 3,500 - 4,000 miles.

Any thoughts?

Matt
HangtownMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

That's just a waste of perfectly good oil. The days of 3K mile oil changes gone the way of the dinosaur. You can go at least 5K miles on dino oil with no worries. Don't try to out-think the MM. It takes many factors into consideration when determining the life of the oil. You'd get at bit better mileage with 0w-20 too.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
xGS

Given those short trips, you'd be better off with 0W-20.

Why apply "old school" thinking to a new car and second guess the manufacturer's recommendations?
xGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

There is nothing wrong with what you're planning, but it is probably overkill. If it helps you sleep at night, go for it. But if you're overkilling, I'd begin by not leaving the factory fill in as long as you are. If there is anytime to do an earlier oil change, it is the first one. (And no, I'm not a believer that the Honda "break in oil" is anything special or that it needs to be in there longer to do a proper break-in.)

- Mark
whizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Don't try to out-think the MM. It takes many factors into consideration when determining the life of the oil.
That is true, but it doesn't know if the engine is using dino or synthetic.

I know there are a gizzillion threads on this topic elsewhere, and I've read a lot of them. What confuses me is the manner in which Honda makes their recommendation for the 2012 Pilot. They specifically say to use 0w20 and than go on to say you "may" use synthetic. I've yet to find a 0w20 dino.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Only place so far I know to get dino oil in 0-20w oil is at the dealer
pntballgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

So the cost of servicing the Pilot had in 2012 gone up as the dealer will claim that to meet Honda fluid vicousity recommendation you HAVE to use synthetic.
No much for ant theoretical dollar savings from higher mpg
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
So the cost of servicing the Pilot had in 2012 gone up as the dealer will claim that to meet Honda fluid vicousity recommendation you HAVE to use synthetic.
No much for ant theoretical dollar savings from higher mpg
The "official" Honda 0W-20 oil is a synthetic blend, just like 5W-20 has been for several years - so nothing has really changed except for the winter viscosity.

Last edited by HenryBravo; 12-05-2011 at 09:19 AM.
HenryBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pntballgunz View Post
i bet most dealers use 5w-20 dino oil. there's really no incentive for them to use more expensive synthetic 0w-20. nobody will be able to know the diff.

last month i took in my dad's crv for a recall and had them do an oil change while it was there and they invoiced "5w-20" even though 2010 and up crv's use 0w-20. i didn't make a stink of it cuz my dad only drives a couple thousand miles a yr anyway. bottom line is dont expect any dealer or shop for that matter to do more than the minimum for you, especially for things you won't be able to tell the difference on. that's just the nature of the biz.
mrcheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I know Amazon has Mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic.

6 pack is ~$52:
Amazon.com: Mobil 1 96995 Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil - 1 Quart, Pack of 6: Automotive Amazon.com: Mobil 1 96995 Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil - 1 Quart, Pack of 6: Automotive

I haven't made it to my first change yet, so I haven't started shopping for oil.
shaggymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggymatt View Post
I know Amazon has Mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic.

6 pack is ~$52: Amazon.com: Mobil 1 96995 Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil - 1 Quart, Pack of 6: Automotive

I haven't made it to my first change yet, so I haven't started shopping for oil.
5.1 qts jugs of M1 @ wally world is about half that....also O'Rielly auto has their labeled 0W20 on sale frequently reg price is =/- $5.50/ qt...
Wally world will let you use competitors coupons and/or price match other's adv's price....

Last edited by RSQ Pilot; 12-05-2011 at 12:52 PM.
RSQ Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

That is true! I was having my wife's 2011 Accord in for an oil change at Carmichael Honda in Sacramento, which is the "handa.com" for internet sales. The Accord calls for 0-20W and the invoice said 5-20w. I'm sure it was dino oil too and not the synthetic blend. That is where I also saw the 0-20w dino oil for something like $3.50 qt.
pntballgunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
That is true! I was having my wife's 2011 Accord in for an oil change at Carmichael Honda in Sacramento, which is the "handa.com" for internet sales. The Accord calls for 0-20W and the invoice said 5-20w. I'm sure it was dino oil too and not the synthetic blend. That is where I also saw the 0-20w dino oil for something like $3.50 qt.
Interesting discussion link from the CR-V forum on 0W-20 Honda Oils....it may help you understand the diffferences...
Honda ow-20 Fully Synthetic or not? [Archive] - Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
RSQ Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

I appreciate all the replies.

Is anyone currently, or planning to use 5w20 in their 2012 Pilot?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizmo View Post
There is nothing wrong with what you're planning, but it is probably overkill. If it helps you sleep at night, go for it. But if you're overkilling, I'd begin by not leaving the factory fill in as long as you are. If there is anytime to do an earlier oil change, it is the first one. (And no, I'm not a believer that the Honda "break in oil" is anything special or that it needs to be in there longer to do a proper break-in.)

- Mark
Whizmo. I'm old school and have always done the 1st oil changes pronto. However, the Owner's Manual of my 2007 Accord specifically said not to drain the factory fill early. This bothered me and I cheated a bit. Unfortunately my Accord burns a bit of oil. I've attributed this to the early change. I'm not sure if that is why or not, but I find it interesting that the 2012 Pilot's Owner's Manual makes no mention of avoiding the early 1st oil change.

I could probably save myself a lot of unnecessary concern if I'd just take the manufacturer's recommendation. But like I said, I'm old school. I always think they have a different agenda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: