Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

LED Interior Light Kit Install (2013 Pilot) Lots of Pix

115K views 225 replies 108 participants last post by  IceRing 
#1 · (Edited)
I ordered an LED Interior Light Kit plus license plate from Amazon for $35.26...free shipping. Here is the web page: Honda PILOT White Interior LED Package (11 Pieces) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Tools I used:
1. A Putty Knife with masking tape
2. Gloves to protect new and old lights from getting finger oil on them. When removing any kind of bulbs you want to prevent body oil from getting on the bulbs.

Here are the pictures.
Putty Knife

Glove

LED light Kit from Classy Autos Luxautos@hotmail.com

Front Passenger OEM light

Too Remove place putting knife in where there are two tabs and pry outward. To reinstall pay attention to tab location then push back into door. It will snap into place.

Passenger OEM Door light removed

Passenger LED and OEM light comparison

Front Left Map light Removal. Place putty knife into the right side of the left map light and gently pry outward. To reinstall place the left side of the housing in first then push the right side in. It will snap into place.

Left Map light partially moved (OEM light)

Map light Housing

My fingers would not fit in the small area to remove the OEM light so I used the putty knife. Came out with little effort.

Map Lights with LEDs installed

Map LED lights compared to other OEM interior lights

2nd Row dome light removal. Place putty knife in the light housing and gently pry outward. Just light the map lights they will come out with a little bit of effort. To reinstall place tab end in first then push in, they will snap into place.

Cargo Light removal. Place putty knife in the middle of the back housing piece further from the on/off switch. Gently pry outward. To reinstall place the tab end in first then push up and it will snap into place.

All interior LEDs installed.

License plate OEM lights. To remove place putty knife to the out portion of the housing and pry outward. These take a tad bit more pressure to remove. To reinstall place inner portion tab end first then push up and it will snap into place.

License Plate LED lights

All interior LED lights are on! What a huge improvement over the OEM dull white lights!!!

Total install time was about 15 minutes.

See less See more
#3 ·
For only $32...the difference is literally night and day. I am extremely pleased and my wife is very happy. Now she wants me to do our Accord. We were both hesitant at first but when we saw a picture of an LED installed we had to give it a shot. So glad we did because the interior is so bright now. For instance when we walked out of Ross this evening the Pilot was not hard to find once we pushed on the unlock button on the remote. We could see everything when you got in. You will be very pleased with the LEDs. It looks awesome and is a very functional upgrade.

#108 ·
So glad we did because the interior is so bright now. For instance when we walked out of Ross this evening the Pilot was not hard to find once we pushed on the unlock button on the remote. We could see everything when you got in. You will be very pleased with the LEDs. It looks awesome and is a very functional upgrade.
OP - Excellent thread with great instructions. Installation was Breezy.

I used something like this that i bought from Sherwin Williams

Multi Putty tool

#4 ·
In another post, the person suggested putting tape on the back of the LEDs used in the map lights. He said if they made contact with anything the lights would short and burn out.
Your thoughts?

Also, some posters state that when they replaced the license plate lights, it ahead a negative impact on the quality of the picture on the backup camer.

What is your opinion / experience?
Thanks.

#10 ·
I just ordered the full kit on Amazon ($35.26 total) and two pair of the visor led's. This is the Amazon description on the visors I used:
SUPER BRIGHT White Vanity LED Light bulbs Mirror Fuse Sun Visor 3-SMD 6641 (A Pair)
by Classy Autos
Total cost with shipping for two pairs of the visor leds was $13.54 from Classy Auto - already received shipping notification and I only ordered yesterday.
Can't wait to install!

#12 ·
I ordered an LED Interior Light Kit plus license plate from Amazon for $35.26...free shipping.

Tools I used:
1. A Putty Knife with masking tape
2. Gloves to protect new and old lights from getting finger oil on them. When removing any kind of bulbs you want to prevent body oil from getting on the bulbs.
Nice writeup with photos! :29: It makes a wonderful improvement!

Couple comments, I think the body oil on bulbs problem only applies to halogen bulbs, and $35+ is steep for these bulbs - the 16 LED festoons I just got off ebay were less than $1.50 and the wedges bought separately off Amazon were a better deal.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Thank You for the Thumbs Up.
I did alot of research and looked at the feedback of the sellers who sold off of Ebay and one guy (and out of country sellers) had 40 negative feedbacks. They ranged from not getting the product to the lights not working. That is definitely nothing I want to deal with. So members can try their luck with the Ebay products or stick with the positive feedback of Classy Autos products.

Also the cost difference is a few dollars. I would prefer to get the LEDs from a US Seller...not Hong Kong. So here are the prices I found on Ebay.

16 SMD 31 mm Festoons $12 for 2. So you will need to get one more of those...maybe another $5.
White 31mm 16 SMD LED Festoon Dome Car Light Bulb Xenon HID | eBay

Door and overhead lights. $10
10 Pieces Xenon White T10 168 194 5 SMD 5050 3 Chip Wedge LED Light Bulb Deal | eBay

Total Price on Ebay for US sellers with good feedback is roughly $27. As OldMDXer mentioned you can save a few bucks by buying off of Ebay or you can buy from Classy Auto who has gotten all 5 Star ratings on Amazon.

#17 ·
One note on the Festoon bulbs, the 16 LED ones from ebay have a warmer white color and not the blueish white of the wedge ones I used.

I had purchased these Festoons from Amazon - Oracle Lighting 31MM6LSMDW Cool White 31mm 6 LED SMD Festoon Bulb - Pair : Amazon.com : Automotive
which were very well made and do have a matching blueish white light, but I wanted more light output for the cargo lamp and I really didn't like the stark bluish light in the map lights (could hardly see the garage door button) so I used the 16 LED ones and am keeping these as spares.

(I'll edit my last post to clarify this because I know many of you want all the bulbs to match.)

#19 ·
Got mine installed this evening... Only 1 problem I encountered. When I went to install one of the door courtesy/step lights, the socket pushed thru and I had to use a small pair of hemostats to pull he socket back into place. Took a bit of patience, but I got it without having to remove the whole panel from the door to get to the socket.

#20 ·
I can see that happening if you apply to much force. This is not to say you did because I have no idea how the bulb socket is mounted to the door panel.

Good piece of advice, like mdlinkous implies ensure the bulb is inserted into the bulb housing then push it in. Hopefully what happened to him doesn't happen to anyone else.

#27 ·
I dont think my socket was properly installed... it pushed thru way to easy. The white plastic socket looks like it pulled thru to the housing and twisted into place.

I was about ready to post on here about someone looking up in the service manual to see if they could tell me how to remove the piece.... with patience and persistence, I finally got it.

The pictures were very VALUABLE to this thread... it made popping the lens off much faster and assured me I was popping them off at the right points...

#22 ·
Installed my Classy Auto LEDs last night... I agree with the others, this is a very VERY nice and inexpensive upgrade. However, I am embarrassed to say that I didn't even know I had a cargo light until I was trying to figure out where that 3rd festoon was supposed to go. Evidently we've been using the twin cargo area dome lights only. Lol'd at myself !?!?

A big thanks to 1stTimerHonda (friend and fellow forum member) for getting us this kit for Christmas... hope you find your Pilot in 2013 brother and Semper Fi!

#26 ·
Interesting....nice link but after looking at the item description they do not include Visor LEDs. The description says 11 bulbs included in the kit but the title of the auction says 13 pieces. When you add up all the lights in the desciption it equals 13. BUT.....they list 4 door lights. If you look at our Pilot (At least 2013 EX 4wd) the front passenger doors have 1 light each but the rear passengers do not have lights....they are red reflectors. So those 2 extra bulbs ment for the doors are not the type that go into the Visors. I wonder what they are used for?

The 2011 has lights on all four doors.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#24 ·
Ebay Light Kit

I ordered an LED Interior Light Kit plus license plate from Amazon for $35.26...free shippingQUOTE]

I ordered a set off of ebay from Cinci, OH that included the license plate 13 pcs for $35 they worked great, no effect on the back up camera.

Here's the link : Xenon White Honda Pilot Interior LED Package Deal 2009 2011 13 Pieces 66 | eBay
Interesting....nice link but after looking at the item description they do not include Visor LEDs. The description says 11 bulbs included in the kit but the title of the auction says 13 pieces. When you add up all the lights in the desciption it equals 13. BUT.....they list 4 door lights. If you look at our Pilot (At least 2013 EX 4wd) the front passenger doors have 1 light each but the rear passengers do not have lights....they are red reflectors. So those 2 extra bulbs ment for the doors are not the type that go into the Visors. I wonder what they are used for?

#25 ·
The eBay narrative does NOT indicate that these will work with 2012 or 2013 models.

This part is compatible with 3 vehicle(s).
Notes Year Make Model Trim Engine
2011 Honda Pilot All All
2010 Honda Pilot All All
2009 Honda Pilot All All

#56 ·
LOL all the lights should have worked as long as they are festoon bulbs. Check sylvania/osram guide book for reference. Pretty sure, they are all cross-reference.
OP, you need to install the LED reverse bulbs as well. You're gonna love it.

#28 ·
Got mine installed.
A little gingerly at the start though. I guess I started with the wrong lights (front map lights). I have to go back and review this thread before proceeding. LOL.
And once I changed the first one, the rests are so easy.

Thanks again for the pics.

#29 ·
This looks like something I should do as well but I don't get wanting to illuminate the plate even more for a couple of reasons. Record-keeping/ big brother/easier tickets and out of state tags have the possibility of attracting unwanted attention.

Also, if I'm parked in a dark isolated, unfamiliar place, I don't want to have a spotlight on myself for any extended period of time with bright interior lights, which also keeps you from seeing your surroundings. Lock the doors and cut the lights as soon as possible for safety reasons.

#31 ·
Ordered the kit from Classy autos. 1 for the Pilot 1 for the TL.

Worked great and looks great. The Pilot kit still comes with 2 LEDs for the rear doors which no longer have lights (way to go cheap Honda!). So now I have 2 extra LEDs in case I ever need to replace any.

The lights looked so different even my 3 yr. old daughter noticed as soon as I opened the door to put her in the car seat, "oohhhh new lights" "they're blue", they're actually white, but compared to how yellow the old ones looked I could see how she'd go with blue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.