2011 Sporadic transmission Shudder - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2011 Sporadic transmission Shudder

Hi, I have been experiencing the infamous Honda transmission shudder in my 2011 PILOT EXL.

Happens on light throttle between 25-40 mph. If I throttle up or down the shudder disappear. The problem started at 37,000 km. Went to dealer sure I could replicate it but I could not.

Before the test with a technician the car was parked at the dealer in an incline, then I could replicate it until next day.

Dealer checked fluid level and color/smell and it was within spec.

Read some forums and many indicate problems in the 3 and 4 pressure switch getting out of tolerance.

Bought the 2, 3, 4 switches changed the 2 and 3 and the problem seems to be gone ( I haven't been able to replicate it).

What gets my attention is that the old switches are within spec. (Built my own pressure switch tester with an air pump, continuity tester and tubeless tire valve).

2 & 4 on @ 27 psi off @ 17
3 on @ 33 psi off @ 23

Have been reading about Lubegard Red, it even is mentioned in a Saab service bulletin as the cure for shuddering.

Last edited by desco; 01-30-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:14 PM

My 2011 shudders also. Recently, on a highway when i had to accelerate quickly and pass a car, my car hesitated so badly that it could not "find" the right gear and it was a very uncomfortable feeling - scary until the car started moving.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

After changing the fluid switches the issue repeated again, car went to the 40K kilometers scheduled maintenance and as part of the maintenance the ATF was changed, Wonder if they used the new ATF DW1.

So far the shuddering seems to be one.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desco View Post
After changing the fluid switches the issue repeated again, car went to the 40K kilometers scheduled maintenance and as part of the maintenance the ATF was changed, Wonder if they used the new ATF DW1.

So far the shuddering seems to be one.
Check on your invoice to see if they did the PGM software update.

2009 DCP Touring, Navi & RES

2004 Acura TSX (bunch of mods b/c its fun)

2008 Ducati 1098 R.I.P.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moda_way View Post
Check on your invoice to see if they did the PGM software update.
Quick update...I drove this all weekend on the highway mostly and it is an apparent issue. Bucking/hesitation when ECO/VCM kicks on...the light kicks on going 80 MPH??? I shouldnt even notice a lack of power. Called the dealer and made another appointment to get this checked out. They are oblivious to the PGM updates or anything else going wrong with Pilots...they claim they never see it...BS. I am also calling American Honda tomorrow to get on this. This is outrageous. I am not getting stuck with a 1 owner 2011 with 19500K miles on it giving me vibration and bucking problems. Did anyone else call American Honda and report this?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Shuddering gone after replacing 4 qts atf with Dw1 new aft

2011 Honda Pilot EXL The best vehicle to keep a DIY busy and Honda autoparts selling...

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L ---2 set of front struts, 1 steering column, 1 rack & pinion, 3 sets of compliance bushings...and now rear engine mount) This will be my last Honda.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:34 PM

Hi desco: Has the problem gone away completely? DW-1 fluid is standard at my dealership and it's what I put in myself at 30,000 miles. So, I am on fluid batch #3 after the dealership changed it at 70,000 and its all DW-1, yet the problem happened this week when the cold front came through after turning a corner and while going about 25-30 mph. Not sure that the fluid is the solution. Thus my question.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Yes, my shudder dissapeared completly. A month ago I did the third change of 4 qts.

2011 Honda Pilot EXL The best vehicle to keep a DIY busy and Honda autoparts selling...

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L ---2 set of front struts, 1 steering column, 1 rack & pinion, 3 sets of compliance bushings...and now rear engine mount) This will be my last Honda.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

If your Pilots are operating on less than six cylinders, would be interesting if the vcm muzzle stopped the shudder.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 PM

My 2009 EX-L had a similar problem, felt vibration between 35-45 mph, level road surface and light throttle. Almost felt like running on road rumble strips.

I left it at the dealer for four days, insisting that they keep it until they're able to reproduce the problem. I had 96,000 miles at the time and I wanted the problem fixed before warranty ran out at 100K. The service manager finally managed to reproduce the problem and attributed it to a faulty torque converter, replaced under warranty. Pilot now has 108,000 miles and the problem is gone! I hope for good

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: