2011 Pilot Compliance Bushings - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile 2011 Pilot Compliance Bushings

Hello All,
I just had my Pilot in the dealer (Earnhardt Honda in Avondale, AZ). Brought it there Sat morning to have a wheel alignment done because I had just installed new tires. Michelin LTX MS/2 (255/65/17) Found out that the front compliance bushing were bad. 42000miles and I actually had noticed one of them leaking in my garage a few weeks ago. Did not know these bushings were oil filled till dealer told me. Anyway, dealer wants $637 to replace the bushings (parts included) plus $120 for an alignment. I checked into doing it at home and decided not to. Dropped it back at the dealer this week and told them how I saw many other Pilot owners having the same issue, complained about there not being a recall or TSB on the topic specifically. I also mentioned that I know the new parts have been updated so Honda knows about the issue. All in all the dealer did me a solid. The service writer Chris S. went to bat for us with Honda and got the warranty dept to split the bill with me. Out the door for the bushings changed and alignment with tax (10% in AZ) was $417. I was happy with the service at Earnhardt Honda and I still love my Pilot. Thanks Chris.

I should mention this is the 3rd major issue with this vehicle. At 5k miles we found the propeller shaft (hanger bearing) bolts were loose. One bolt was missing completely and one was backed out about half way. Same dealer fixed it no problem. At 15k found the left front wheel bearing was shot and making a lot of noise. Dealer repaired under warranty and did an alignment. Still love the Pilot (nicest car I have owned so far and the first SUV as well). I want it to last for many years after I have paid it off. Hope this is it for a while.
Anthony496 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like you got a good deal, it's unfortunate that this bushing problem is as bad as it is for Pilots that are only 2 years old. How long until we hear about a wave of 2012 owners with bad bushings just out of warranty?

Anyone know what model year has the updated parts?

My 2010 is in the shop right now for this problem...
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Bushings or engine mounts. Bushings are rubber and metal. Engine mounts have fluid in.
Sounds like dealer doesn't know what they are talking about
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Bushings or engine mounts. Bushings are rubber and metal. Engine mounts have fluid in.
Sounds like dealer doesn't know what they are talking about
Rocky, please see this thread for more complaints about the same issue on '09-'11 Pilots, along with pictures. There is clearly fluid leaking out of these control arm (compliance) bushings.

Wheel and Brake vibration - lower control arm bushing
Old 10-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Our 09 pilot is now at 110k miles. About 15k miles or so ago we finally solved the steering wheel and brake shutter problem by replacing both of the compliance bushings and I had the replaced rotors turned for piece of mind (I replaced the stock rotors initially thinking they were warped - the replacement ones were not warped). They (the compliance bushings) are fluid filled (Rocky, you sound like the service guys at our Hardin Honda stealership - man, I hate that place) and in the early 09's they are a different design. I did the work myself and separating the lower control arm from the steering knuckle wasn't too difficult, but I pierced both the steering knuckle boots - which they do not sell replacements for unless you buy the entire aluminum lower control arm for some gawdawful amount per arm (I found that a '68 Chevy Nova steering knuckle boot fits pretty damn well).

We almost pulled the trigger on a low mile used 2011 Pilot last night ($24k, $1k down and lower payments - and it was silver with black leather instead of this "show all the dirt grey" and beige leather we have now) until I read this post. Sigh. I guess we'll wait to pay this sucker off, continue to drive the wheels off of it and trade it in on another 4Runner. We'll see when the "new" bushings go out. Oh, my letter to American Honda was met with a very pleasant "sorry, we can't help." Bury your head in the sand, Honda. We bought our last of your vehicles . . . .

Last edited by Shamus; 10-10-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Shamus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Shamus - I'm impressed that you did it yourself. That was my plan, Bought the parts and set aside a Saturday morning to do it. But once I saw that weird upside down ball joint I chickened out.

I'm with you on the disappointing quality. It was my goal to buy a brand new car once before I retired. Honda was the gold standard for quality in my mind. But it seems like every TSB that was published for Pilots were about a problem I was having, and then some that weren't discussed. Once the warranty expired I had to start deciding what to fix, and what to live with. I think Honda is being short sighted with the declining quality. The perception of their brand reputation is what allowed them to charge more. They are quickly spending the good will they built up over the decades.
mobro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: