When to replace timing belt? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy When to replace timing belt?

According to driverside.com, 2009 pilot ex 4wd, replace timing belt at 60k miles.

2009 Honda Pilot Manufacturer Service Schedule and History - DriverSide.com

Is this correct? I thought 100k miles was standard.
rlelina is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator
 
humanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 4,067
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid
It's been 105K or 7 years for 2003-2008, not sure about the newer ones.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<------------ click here first, n0oB!!!
humanoid is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:14 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WA State
Posts: 2,765
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It is 105K/7-yrs for the 1st gen and I've not heard of any changes for the 2nd gen. I know nothing about driverside.com, but I'd guess they simply have it wrong.

- Mark

Edit: I just did a little investigation about driverside.com and I'd be a leery of their motives. For example, this article seems to indicate that one of their goals is to sign up garages and drive extra service business their way:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...IL03/306159881

At face value, they're recommending fixed-mileage service intervals for a Pilot in direct contradiction to where Honda recommends using their MM system. There is a great deal of resistance in the car service community to giving up fixed-mileage schedules because it typically results in less unneeded maintenance.

Further Edit: The above URL seems to now be requesting a login credential (weird that it didn't earlier), but here's what the article says:

LOS ANGELES -- A new service-oriented Web site is targeting gun-shy consumers holding onto their rust buckets instead of buying new cars.

DriverSide.com is shelling out maintenance advice and connecting consumers with dealership service departments and independent repair shops.

DriverSide.com, of San Francisco, ran a beta Web site until its official launch, which was scheduled for last week. It currently has about 25 dealerships as clients as well as about 1,000 independent service shops. It also has set up virtual garages for about 250,000 customers.

DriverSide's business case focuses on increasing dealerships' back-shop business, CEO Jad Dunning says. Pilot dealerships have seen a 30 percent increase in service visits from customers responding to DriverSide listings, as well as 25 percent more service revenue from those customers.

What's more, Dunning says, a majority of new customers were those considered lost to the dealership -- people who hadn't been to the store in more than one year.

When a dealership signs a contract with DriverSide, the dot-com team creates a virtual garage for each customer, detailing his or her car's vehicle identification number and repair history. It then establishes an automatic e-mail generator to notify the customer about maintenance schedules, including discount coupons and other incentives. It also notifies the customer about safety recalls or service bulletins.

DriverSide is pairing with independent quick-lube stores for similar services. But once a consumer's virtual garage belongs to a dealership, that owner's records cannot be used by a competing outlet, says DriverSide director Jeff Bell. Bell is a former Chrysler sales executive who left the automaker in 2006 to join Microsoft Corp.

The dealership pays DriverSide a flat monthly fee, Dunning says.

Last edited by whizmo; 04-27-2012 at 02:24 AM.
whizmo is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
 
Rocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Red Sox Nation
Posts: 12,515
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This same conversation occurred in another thread recently. Isn't that weird?
I recall that severe schedule maintenance in pre MM vehicle does call for TB replacement at 60k.

2005 Pilot Exl Res 2016 CRV Touring
Rocky is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Registered User
 
ON DUTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 154
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's still 7yrs or 105k miles under normal driving conditions.

-2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD Alabaster Silver
20" KMC Rockstar Wheels 265/50R20 Nitto Terra Grappler
Readylift Lift Kit
ON DUTY is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Registered User
 
Arizonaadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 250
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
At 7 years we'll have about 42k on the odo. That's going to be a painful repair bill at 42k. Might be time for the new hybrid pilot by then anyway.

Current Vehicles: '11 Pilot LX 4wd; '10 Subaru Outback 3.6R; '02 Honda Shadow 750;
Pilot v. Outback:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Arizonaadam is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the research Mark. I just assumed these sites are trustworthy. I guess my safest bet would be to check against the printed manual.


Quote:
Originally Posted by whizmo View Post
It is 105K/7-yrs for the 1st gen and I've not heard of any changes for the 2nd gen. I know nothing about driverside.com, but I'd guess they simply have it wrong.

- Mark

Edit: I just did a little investigation about driverside.com and I'd be a leery of their motives. For example, this article seems to indicate that one of their goals is to sign up garages and drive extra service business their way:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...IL03/306159881

At face value, they're recommending fixed-mileage service intervals for a Pilot in direct contradiction to where Honda recommends using their MM system. There is a great deal of resistance in the car service community to giving up fixed-mileage schedules because it typically results in less unneeded maintenance.

Further Edit: The above URL seems to now be requesting a login credential (weird that it didn't earlier), but here's what the article says:

LOS ANGELES -- A new service-oriented Web site is targeting gun-shy consumers holding onto their rust buckets instead of buying new cars.

DriverSide.com is shelling out maintenance advice and connecting consumers with dealership service departments and independent repair shops.

DriverSide.com, of San Francisco, ran a beta Web site until its official launch, which was scheduled for last week. It currently has about 25 dealerships as clients as well as about 1,000 independent service shops. It also has set up virtual garages for about 250,000 customers.

DriverSide's business case focuses on increasing dealerships' back-shop business, CEO Jad Dunning says. Pilot dealerships have seen a 30 percent increase in service visits from customers responding to DriverSide listings, as well as 25 percent more service revenue from those customers.

What's more, Dunning says, a majority of new customers were those considered lost to the dealership -- people who hadn't been to the store in more than one year.

When a dealership signs a contract with DriverSide, the dot-com team creates a virtual garage for each customer, detailing his or her car's vehicle identification number and repair history. It then establishes an automatic e-mail generator to notify the customer about maintenance schedules, including discount coupons and other incentives. It also notifies the customer about safety recalls or service bulletins.

DriverSide is pairing with independent quick-lube stores for similar services. But once a consumer's virtual garage belongs to a dealership, that owner's records cannot be used by a competing outlet, says DriverSide director Jeff Bell. Bell is a former Chrysler sales executive who left the automaker in 2006 to join Microsoft Corp.

The dealership pays DriverSide a flat monthly fee, Dunning says.
rlelina is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unfortunately, afaik, the printed manual for the 2009 does not give you a "normal" schedule. From the owners manual:

"Replace timing belt and inspect water pump
If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110F, 43C), in very low temperatures (under 20F, 29C), or towing a trailer, replace every 60,000 miles"

Otherwise you have to wait and rely on the MM to tell you. Anyone seen a reliable schedule for all maintenance items for normal driving?
pilot2009 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Registered User
 
candrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonaadam View Post
At 7 years we'll have about 42k on the odo. That's going to be a painful repair bill at 42k. Might be time for the new hybrid pilot by then anyway.
You might conisder some online research as this could be a DIY repair. I own a 2008 TL (same motor albiet a lot more HP) and there are a few threads for DIY timing belt kits that are OEM for under $300.

Heres a couple of threads to get you started BUT YOU WILL NEED TO VERIFY THAT THESE PARTS WILL WORK ON YOUR MOTOR.
Timing Belt Special still going strong @ $299 shipped - AcuraZine Community

A-122: DIY - 105k Service: Timing Belt, Water Pump, Spark Plugs, Thermostat *PICS* - AcuraZine Community
candrews is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Super Senior Member

 
jl_ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 4,293
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot2009 View Post
Anyone seen a reliable schedule for all maintenance items for normal driving?
Just google the 2005 Pilot Owners manual and check out the maintenance schedule listed. It was the last year without the MM.
jl_ss is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WA State
Posts: 2,765
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I do find it interesting that for Pilots with the MM system, the only spec'ed replacement schedule for the timing belt is either when the MM says so or at 60K for "severe service". There is no calendar-based recommendation in either the owner's or service manual. And I don't think the MM has any real-time clock and doesn't track calendar time. From this, I'd gather that Honda has no calendar-based replacement recommendation for the timing belt if the Pilot has the MM system.

I would be interested if anyone has noted when service "4" (plugs and timing belt) trips on their high-mileage Pilot with the MM system. Does it occur at exactly 105K or does it change up/down based on operating conditions?

- Mark
whizmo is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Zionsville, IN
Posts: 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MM 4 prompt at 99k

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizmo View Post
I do find it interesting that for Pilots with the MM system, the only spec'ed replacement schedule for the timing belt is either when the MM says so or at 60K for "severe service". There is no calendar-based recommendation in either the owner's or service manual. And I don't think the MM has any real-time clock and doesn't track calendar time. From this, I'd gather that Honda has no calendar-based replacement recommendation for the timing belt if the Pilot has the MM system.

I would be interested if anyone has noted when service "4" (plugs and timing belt) trips on their high-mileage Pilot with the MM system. Does it occur at exactly 105K or does it change up/down based on operating conditions?

- Mark
Ok, Noob here, first post and hoping I did it right.

Mark - We've owned our 2006 Pilot for just under a year now and the MM 4 (14 to be precise) came on last week at just over 99k.

What's the general opinion here -- have the dealer do it or can the local guys handle it well enough?

Thanks!
Indy_Jimbo is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Registered User
 
candrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Jimbo View Post
Ok, Noob here, first post and hoping I did it right.

Mark - We've owned our 2006 Pilot for just under a year now and the MM 4 (14 to be precise) came on last week at just over 99k.

What's the general opinion here -- have the dealer do it or can the local guys handle it well enough?

Thanks!
Depending on your comfort level it is a DIY project so any competent non-Honda mechanic should be able to do the replacement. That being said you should make sure whoever you use does not cause any warranty issues. If you decide to DIY check out my earlier post for a source for parts. Just make sure you order the kit/parts for a Pilot as opposed to the TL.
candrews is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: WA State
Posts: 2,765
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm a pretty good DIY mechanic, but I'm going to leave the timing belt to the professionals - it just appears to me that it is one of those things where there is a fair bit of opportunity to mess something up and where having special tools, techniques, and experience can make a fairly difficult job much simpler.

I also plan on taking mine to the dealer as I suspect they have mechanics who do this repair on a regular basis.

I will shop around for a "deal".

- Mark
whizmo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome