Tip on replacing brake pads and rotors -- 09 Touring - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Tip on replacing brake pads and rotors -- 09 Touring

So -- for the edification of the net and Pilot owners -- I post the following:

My 09 Pilot Touring with 79K on the clock was really vibrating when slowing from highway speeds. It got to the point that the whole car was shaking like a leaf at any application of the brakes at speed. Added to that my dealership service told me about 20K ago that my brakes were "worn out" and needed to be replaced. So I bought the parts and waited for that tell tale metal on metal scraping sound. The only problems is it never happened. No scraping or anything because when I pulled the pads and rotors -- they still has 3mm of life in the rear and 5 mm of life in the front. So much for my dealer being honest. The truth is they were vibrating but it is not clear if stock rotors were warped or whether it was due to pad material buildup. I can't recut the front rotors as I had a difficult time getting them off and kind of "damaged" them in the process.

Long story short the fronts were not as smooth as I hoped; but the rears came off like a charm.

First of all -- I did not take pics of this process like I should have. For that I apologize. If you go to youtube you can find a good vid on this with a Gen 1 Pilot that covers the process quite well.

You will need an impact screwdriver to loosen the 2 low quality and soft phillip head screws that hold the rotors in place.

After removing the caliper slide bolts, phillips head screws and caliper bracket -- the front rotors do not simply slide off. At least mine did not. A BFH loosened them but did not allow them to slide all the way off. I needed to thread bolts into the threaded holes and essentially push them off. After that the process was quite straightforward for the fronts.

The rears, on the other hand, slid off quite easily. Don't forget to take the rubber grommet for the parking brake adjustment hole and put it in the new rotors.

FWIW I used aftermarket rotors from rock auto and they had almost identical markings/measurments as the stockers. Don't see the need to pay 2-3X as much as Honda parts. I mic'd them out and measured runout and all specs were very close to identical between stock and afermarket. YMMV.

Hindsight being 20/20 I would have not used the BFH to get the front rotors off and would have had them cut (there was plenty of meat left on the rotors) and thrown new pads in there.

Also -- I got the ceramic beck-arnley pads and can say that after 1000 miles they feel exactly the same as the stock pads.

Hope this helps.

-Dan C.
smoker324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the write-up, Dan! Good info when my time for a brake job comes around...

-- RIP --
'08 Element SC 5-Speed Rootbeer Metalic
'92 Accord EX 5-Speed
Opentoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker324 View Post
Hindsight being 20/20 I would have not used the BFH to get the front rotors off and would have had them cut (there was plenty of meat left on the rotors) and thrown new pads in there.
-Dan C.
thx, dan, for sharing!

regarding replacing vs recutting... I too was going to go the recut route as the rotors seemed to have plenty of meat left.... but after calling 3-4 shops they wanted $25/rotor to recut - whereas new nonslotted/dimpled were only $10-20 more. I decided to replace to prolong "time til next rotor change"... what are other folks here doing?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
nytennisaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytennisaddict View Post
thx, dan, for sharing!

regarding replacing vs recutting... I too was going to go the recut route as the rotors seemed to have plenty of meat left.... but after calling 3-4 shops they wanted $25/rotor to recut - whereas new nonslotted/dimpled were only $10-20 more. I decided to replace to prolong "time til next rotor change"... what are other folks here doing?
</p>
I haven't cut rotors in a long time. The cost difference between cutting rotors and the cheapies I've bought for old cars isn't worth the time and energy. Factory rotors for the Pilot, however, are $112 each. So, I'll probably turn them once.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

yikes. if I was paying $112/ea for factory rotors I would def cut/turn them once... but by default I presumed that aftermarket was better/equal to factory - for less money.

nytennisaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytennisaddict View Post
yikes. if I was paying $112/ea for factory rotors I would def cut/turn them once... but by default I presumed that aftermarket was better/equal to factory - for less money.

Agreed, but I'm going factory for my "new" vehicles. Over time I think it will pay off. I used to work parts and there are indeed a lot of good aftermarket parts for better prices. I'm just going to stay factory for the Pilot.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

What do you guys mean by "cutting" the rotors? Do you mean resurfacing? SUV's are prone to having these vibrating issues as the mileage racks up when braking. All it needs is resurfacing of the rotors. I have the same problem right now but have been putting off resurfacing the rotors.
'08 Lexus GS350 ML/NAV (Garage Dust Collector)
'07 Nissan Altima SE V6 (Traded for GS350)
'05 MBZ SLK55 AMG (Lemoned)
'03 Nissan 350Z Performance (SOLD)
babymsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymsv View Post
What do you guys mean by "cutting" the rotors? Do you mean resurfacing? SUV's are prone to having these vibrating issues as the mileage racks up when braking. All it needs is resurfacing of the rotors. I have the same problem right now but have been putting off resurfacing the rotors.
I assume they mean resurfacing too, but, this assumes the rotors are not warped from overheating (happens a lot especially if towing)...

2008 Acura TL / Nighthawk Black Pearl
candrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymsv View Post
Yep, that's what I mean, at least. I suppose it's slang. To resurface, you put the rotor on a lathe, and a blade moves across the rotor as the rotor is spun. Hence, "cutting." I've also heard it called "turning" and "machining" (machining is probably the most accurate description).

Here's a great video:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: