long handled floor jack - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default long handled floor jack

Hello everyone,
I need a floor jack for changing tires and like the lightweight aspect of the tire rack item:
Tire Rack Aluminum Service Jack

However, it has a long handle and I only have about 3 feet between my cars and the garage walls. Anyone with long handled experience know if this will be a problem? Would I just need to turn the jack at an angle? Or would I be constantly fighting against hitting the handle on the wall?

Thanks, Eric
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Have used and owned both longer and shorter handled jacks over the years. The longer jack makes it easier if you're going to move the vehicle while on the jack, and for jacking-up from underneath the vehicle (like if you'll use the differential as your lifting point). I've run into space issues, but like you suggested, you just attack it at an angle.
Having said that, the shorter handle is much easier to use in tighter areas.
I'm sure you also read the reviews, but I thought this was interesting, "It’s a pretty big jack so if you’re planning on taking it to the Autocross or track day make sure you have the space. -Takes a few extra pumps to raise the car compared to others I’ve used."
'11 Dark Cherry Touring
gewf631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wonder if I could just cut the handle down, or if that would make pumping difficult. I won't be transporting the jack or moving the vehicle while jacked.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a full size jack, steel though, not aluminum. Franky, you'll be suffering with only 3 feet of clearance. As for cutting down the handle I think that's a nonstarter. These jacks are designed to lift fast, which means extra effort on your part. As for going in at an angle, it's doable but I've never felt it was very stable. Can you just work outside?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

nah, I live in vermont and my snow tire changeovers usually take place in late november on a slushy or snowy night or in march/april when it is still quite cold outside.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am of the semi-informed opinion that there are jacking points in the center of the vehicle that might allow the use of a jack from the front/rear of the car. Check the owners manual, maybe? There is a picture in this thread. 2009 Pilot Jack and Stand Points
Sorry if I'm missing the point. Front to back at least you could have the working end under cover.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Check out the selection of jacks at harborfreight.com:

Jacks - Harbor Freight Tools
fjpthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: