2011 Pilot-Biggest Complaint - Page 2 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by theirishscion View Post
Actually, I don't know if you've got stuck yet, but thus far I'm amazed at just how capable the damned thing is off-road, especially considering it's basically a minivan with a hairy chest. That said, I've mostly just been experimenting on sand and gravel and extreme slopes with loose surfaces. Bit of ice work as well. No mud or deep water as of yet.
Agreed. I've had it on the beach (in Daytona, in heavy rain) and in deep, unplowed snow. No issues with either my 2005 or 2011. It's not a rock-crawler, but it's been very competent in just about every situation I could put it in. If I wanted a Jeep, I would have bought one.

2010 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD (traded)

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium - Ruby Red Pearl

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (traded)
cwa107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJac View Post
... also dont like the slight shutter when the ECO kicks in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Agree there. It wasn't all that noticeable when I first bought it, but as it breaks in (currently at 17K), it's much more noticeable and frequently annoying, particularly when it happens in tandem with shifting or the AC compressor kicking on.
There are 2 TSB's that address that problem. both are related to the VCM and the fuel injection. let me see if I can find them

WW: 11 Pilot EX-L ASM 2WD, JDM Yellow Turn Bulbs, Crystal Vision Hi & Low Beams, 2500K Fogs Bulbs, Stage 2 LED conversion
DD: 06 Accord EX-L V6 6MT 4DR ASM, Honda MP3 Player, Honda DVD Player, JDM Yellow Turn Bulbs, 9006 Crystal Vision, 9005 2500K bulbs, 2500K Fogs bulbs, Stage 2 LED conversion, Euro Switchblade Key, TL RSB

rafael73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

In order of annoyance:

1. ECO shudder (if there is a TSB that addresses this, I'll be overjoyed. Thanks Raf!)

2. road noise

3. mileage (can't really complain)

HOWEVER, there are many more things I love about the truck that far outweigh these annoyances.

2011 Honda Pilot Touring -- Mocha Metallic
sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

scratch happy plastic.

lack of a convenient trip button, i hate reaching through the steering wheel to get info.

roof rails, but crossbars are not included.
Black Interior
dvs1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Tire noise, numb steering, too soft suspension, lack of low-end engine torque which means constant shifting, mediocre towing capability, mediocre mileage considering its weight and power, low-rent interior.

- Mark
whizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

I love my 2010 Pilot.. my only real complaint would be that the instrumentation cluster is annoyingly bright. The fact that the speedo/tach aren't white numbers illuminated on a black background but instead are black numbers on an entirely lit up white background just gets too bright for me at night. I have the brightness turned down quite a bit, but the rest of the buttons on the dash are barely visible. It would be nice if the brightness of the gauge cluster and dash could be adjusted individually.

Other than that I love this vehicle. Yeah gas mileage ain't great, and my interior air circulation button doesn't work anymore (taking it in within the next week or two).. but the thing is great. 21K miles and very happy with it.
Old Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

Exclamation TSB Update

There are 2 TSB that might help when ECO activate/deactivate.

1: TSB 10-063 200911 Pilot: MIL Comes On With DTC P0300 Thru P0304 (Supersedes 10-063, dated June 10, 2011, to revise the information marked by the black bars)

One or more spark plugs may be fouled, and the MIL comes on with at least one of these DTCs: P0300 (random cylinder misfire detected), P0301, P0302, P0303, or P0304 (No. 1 thru No. 4 cylinder misfire detected).

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace any fouled spark plugs, and update the PCM.

Applies To: 200910 Pilot ALL
2011 Pilot 2WD From VIN 5FNYF3H..BB000001 thru 5FNYF3H..BB045976
2011 Pilot 4WD From VIN 5FNYF4H..BB000001 thru 5FNYF4H..BB080760

2. TSB 11-033 Engine Oil Consumption; MIL May Be On With DTC P3400 and/or P3497 (Supersedes 11-033, dated June 11, 2011, to revise the information marked by the black bars)

The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the MIL
may be on with DTC P3400 and/or P3497 (VPS Stuck Off Bank 1/Bank 2)

The VCM (variable cylinder management) function may repeatedly switch on and off during certain light throttle operation, at cruising speeds, on flat roads. This frequent switching can contribute to increased oil consumption. The updated PCM software improves VCM timing during very light throttle operation which may reduce oil consumption. DTCs P3400 and P3497 occur when the oil level drops to a point where line pressure can no longer support
continued VCM operation.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI software.

VEHICLES AFFECTED
200810 Accord V6 A/T ALL
2011 Accord V6 A/T From VIN 1HGC.....BA000001 thru 1HGC.....BA005824

2010 Accord Crosstour ALL
2011 Accord Crosstour 2WD From VIN 5J6TF1H5.BL000001 thru 5J6TF1H5.BL001719
2011 Accord Crosstour 4WD From VIN 5J6TF2H5.BL000001thru
5J6TF2H5.BL003438

200810 Odyssey EX-L, Touring ALL
2011 Odyssey From VIN 5FNRL5H..BB000001 thru 5FNRL5H..BB062427

200910 Pilot ALL
2011 Pilot 2WD From VIN 5FNYF3H..BB000001 thru 5FNYF3H..BB045976
2011 Pilot 4WD From VIN 5FNYF4H..BB000001 thru 5FNYF4H..BB080760
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pilotfouledplug.pdf (88.2 KB, 694 views)
File Type: pdf pilotoilconsumption2011.pdf (119.7 KB, 841 views)

WW: 11 Pilot EX-L ASM 2WD, JDM Yellow Turn Bulbs, Crystal Vision Hi & Low Beams, 2500K Fogs Bulbs, Stage 2 LED conversion
DD: 06 Accord EX-L V6 6MT 4DR ASM, Honda MP3 Player, Honda DVD Player, JDM Yellow Turn Bulbs, 9006 Crystal Vision, 9005 2500K bulbs, 2500K Fogs bulbs, Stage 2 LED conversion, Euro Switchblade Key, TL RSB

rafael73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJac View Post
Too much interior rattling for me. i have a consistant rattle that sounds like it's coming from the passenger side rear door or B pillar. also dont like the slight shutter when the ECO kicks in, and the doors sound kinda hollow and cheap when you close them too hard. other then that i like my Pilot.

When the ECO kicks in? Maybe my ECO does not work because I always see that light come on and never hear anything. What I HATE is that when someone calls, the number is displayed in message center INSTEAD! of callers name. I have hundreds of numbers on my phone, I cant possible know who it is. The only thing I miss from my FORD EXPLORER. Displays name of caller on NAV screen.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #24 (permalink)

I don't have a problem with anything as much as I have a problem with the glove box's protrusion into the passengers leg area. This wasn't apparent until we went on an 800 mile trip to Washington, DC. over the weekend. It would be one thing if it were soft, but the damn thing is rock hard! I don't want to imagine what would happen to someone's legs in the event of an accident! I also think it's annoying that the calls don't display the person's name, but I don't have that in my pilot, only in the crosstour. I hate responding with that anonymous "Hello?" when it only gives you someone's number. That's what made me stop using it. Especially when someone important, someone you know, is calling you...giving that anonymous hello is almost like not caring about who you are talking too.
iggibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #25 (permalink)

I have a few complaints, some of them are small but check them out. I have had the car for 17k so far and no issues. If they only spent a little more money on sound dampening materials and better inside components ths car would be stellar!

Negatives:
- Loud on the highway, doors don't seal well, make sure you hit above 65mph
- cheap plastic everywhere
- arm rest on drivers door has hard edge to it

Positives:
- tons of room and smart storage useage, love the under floor storage, all of my towing needs fit in there.
- Tows better than my 2006 4 runner.
- Very nice comfortable ride
- traction ctrl and 4wd are great, no need to put in and out.
- getting avg of 21-24 on the highway.
- 3rd row folds flat, doesn't matter if you never use it.
- 2nd row folds flat to carry large items.
- Back up camera in mirror is nice!
cwessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #26 (permalink)

I have an '11 Touring. Overall, it's very nice, but some things bug me:

Multi-Information Display: The least intuitive setup system that I've ever seen
Lackluster navigation system. The first GPS system that I've seen that didn't offer the 'fastest' route as a choice.
Parking sensors. The rear has 4 sensors all along the bumper. The front only has two on the corners-none on the forward edge of the front bumper to let you know how close you are to something in front of you.
BillMorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:18 AM   #27 (permalink)

Door locks. Hate them. I'm a Toyota guy (wife's SUV) but can't #2 make a less intrusive locking mech? If you auto-lock then auto-unlock when in P. Or when you pull the handle (ala Toyota) this should unlock the door. Positive note, the Pilot is holding up well as a kayak/paddle board, mountain bike hauler. Hope it holds up as nice as our TSX although the build quality does seem un-Honda, fit and finish wise.
3longdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3longdogs View Post
Door locks. Hate them. I'm a Toyota guy (wife's SUV) but can't #2 make a less intrusive locking mech? If you auto-lock then auto-unlock when in P. Or when you pull the handle (ala Toyota) this should unlock the door. Positive note, the Pilot is holding up well as a kayak/paddle board, mountain bike hauler. Hope it holds up as nice as our TSX although the build quality does seem un-Honda, fit and finish wise.
Are you saying that pulling on a handle of a locked door should automatically unlock it? Kind of confusing to understand, but that just seems dumb if that was what you were saying. The point of a lock is to not let the door handle pull from opening the door. Plus, there are a few different ways you can program your Pilot to lock/unlock via the manual. The way I have it, it unlocks all the doors when the tranny is put into park or when the engine is turned off. That's as safe as it can get without being too "impending."

Last edited by iggibar; 08-20-2011 at 01:49 PM.
iggibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #29 (permalink)

Slightly under powered. I test drove the highlander which has more power. However, we needed something bigger. Glad we got the pilot. So far, it ha been great
Yukselk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizmo View Post
Tire noise, numb steering, too soft suspension, lack of low-end engine torque which means constant shifting, mediocre towing capability, mediocre mileage considering its weight and power, low-rent interior.

- Mark
Then why did you get it? Didn't you see these issues when you test drove or did you not do any research? Just trying to understand.
Yukselk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: