Driver 1 & Driver 2 Key issue on 2011 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Driver 1 & Driver 2 Key issue on 2011

Hi all,

First time here because my wife and I just bought a new 2011 Pilot Touring. Let me say that I absolutely love the car and couldn't be more happy with it. We are about to have our first child and this vehicle will serve us well as we enter this new chapter in our life.

So we have had our car for almost two weeks now and something funny happened today. I typically drive the car, because my wife has a nice car already and my previous car was ready for a change.

I have and always use the Driver 1 key. But today, my wife took the car with her to work because she needed to have the cargo room for a function at work.

Well, after she returned home this evening, I went and got in the car to continue working on some of my settings, Bluetooth, etc. and when I started the car the maintenence minder screen showed DRIVER 2, instead of Driver 1. I thought this was funny seeing as though I have the Driver 1 key and was using it.

I went and got her Driver 2 key and tried that and guess what? It showed DRIVER 2 again.

Please note that up until today, the screen always said Driver 1 when I used my key. So I'm not sure if there is a setting that I can change or what....I did try looking in the manual and scrool through all the information screens in the Keyless Settings but I wasn't able to locate anything that might work.

I'm at a loss here on what to do. I can always go back to the dealership and talk to then about it, but I won't be able to do that until sometime next week and I thought I'd see if anyone here might have a suggestion for me.

Thanks for listening and for any help,
-Scott
SingnScott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Congrats on the new baby! We actually just bought a used 2009 Pilot Touring for the exact same reason. My last ride was a Jeep - will definitely miss it.

I've only had the vehicle for a couple of weeks but to answer your question, I've noticed the seat settings do not change on my 2009 using the different keys. If the last user was driver 2 and driver 1 plugs in, the car does say "Driver 2 settings are in place." I found that I need to manually press the driver 1 button on the door to get the seats to switch over to driver 1 settings.

I'm not sure if this is the expected behavior but it's what I've seen. Kinda makes the two key distinction a bit useless but maybe someone else can chime in on a fix if there is one.
kappaknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

IIRC you must unlock the door with your remote as each remote activates the key less memory settings related to that remote. Driver 1 and Driver 2 keys can be independently programmed to personalized settings using the Multi-Info Display and seat memory features.
RSQ Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 01:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

edit; RSQPilot beat me to it!

Ok, here's how it works;

Unlock the car with the button on your key and open the driver's door, the car will set itself to whichever key you used, the seat will move, settings will change etc. Done this way, everything works as expected.

Counter intuitively, if you just start the car with a given key, it will not change the car settings to that key. You have to use the button to unlock, then open the driver's door with the key.

So, if you unlock the car with key 2, then get in and start it with key 1, the settings will remain set to key 2. And confuse you

I think the car behaves this way because the key number is tied to the keyless entry transmitter, not the immobilizer RFID chip (which is what the ignition lock reads). So until you press a button on the keyless entry fob, the car can't actually _tell_ which key you're using.

Dermot

Last edited by theirishscion; 06-10-2011 at 03:15 AM.
theirishscion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you all! I was starting to wonder today when I got in the car at lunchtime and leaving the office it did say Driver 1. And I wondered if it had something to do with locking and unlocking from my key. That appears to be it.

It certainly is a little confusing but now that I get it, all is well. Live and learn something new every day. What will tomorrow teach me?

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm sure I'll be back soon.
-Scott
SingnScott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ah... thanks for the info guys. Since I don't lock the car in my garage, that explains why it doesn't change when I'm at home.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Used 2009 Touring never recognizes Driver 2 Transmitter

Hi Guys, I am new to the thread and would love to get some feedback from experienced owners as the dealer I purchased through has proven to not be of much help. When we purchased our 2009 Pilot Touring about 2 months ago we were handed a single transmitter, labeled "2". I was NOT happy about this because one of the many features called out with the vehicle was the driver memory positions triggered by the specific transmitter, so I fought to have the dealer cover the cost of an additional transmitter labeled as "1". Once I had both transmitters in hand I worked with the manual to program both 1 & 2 memory positions but note that no matter what transmitter we use it ALWAYS lists "Driver 1" on the display. I brought the car back to the service dept. at the dealer AGAIN and they had no good answer for me and promised to research it. After one week of waiting on them they came back and said that my particular vehicle must not include this aspect of the feature and that both transmitters will only trigger the "1" position. The manual states very black and white that there are 2 memory positions each of which can be assigned to the associated transmitter and triggered when used for the Touring model and does not list ANY exception. Does this sound right to any one, or is there an issue with my vehicle?

Thanks in advance for the response.
madball2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball2011 View Post
Hi Guys, I am new to the thread and would love to get some feedback from experienced owners as the dealer I purchased through has proven to not be of much help. When we purchased our 2009 Pilot Touring about 2 months ago we were handed a single transmitter, labeled "2". I was NOT happy about this because one of the many features called out with the vehicle was the driver memory positions triggered by the specific transmitter, so I fought to have the dealer cover the cost of an additional transmitter labeled as "1". Once I had both transmitters in hand I worked with the manual to program both 1 & 2 memory positions but note that no matter what transmitter we use it ALWAYS lists "Driver 1" on the display. I brought the car back to the service dept. at the dealer AGAIN and they had no good answer for me and promised to research it. After one week of waiting on them they came back and said that my particular vehicle must not include this aspect of the feature and that both transmitters will only trigger the "1" position. The manual states very black and white that there are 2 memory positions each of which can be assigned to the associated transmitter and triggered when used for the Touring model and does not list ANY exception. Does this sound right to any one, or is there an issue with my vehicle?

What kind of a stupid dealer is this? It just boggles my mind how so called "experts" in Hondas have no clue what the heck they are doing to diagnose a problem. This is why I don't trust the dealers to do anything on my cars anymore, unless it's something that requires heavy duty tools that I don't have... definitely never let them touch my electronics!!!

Ok. back to your problem... there are likely only two explanations for your problem. Either your Driver 2 fob is not "linked" to the memory function on the vehicle... (see back of fob for instructions involving pressing both lock/unlock at the same time), or the other reason is that your Driver 2 fob is really a driver 1 fob and at some point, someone swapped the shells so that it says Driver 2.

I know the shell swapping is kind of unlikely, but I had a friend buy a used Acura RL and the exact same thing happened. He had a driver 2 fob that always says driver 1 in the vehicle. The easiest way to test this theory is to borrow someone's (or even the dealer's) driver 2 fob and program it to your car to test. It doesn't take long to do and will definitely tell you if it's the fob that is the problem.
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Swapping the shell may be likely. There is a valid reason for it - changing the battery on the FOB. If both were done at the same time for whatever reason, they could be swapped accidentally.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball2011 View Post

(edit; Dang, redundant response is redundant)

I call shenanigans on your dealer. All touring models have the feature, no exceptions

Here's my theory; the 2nd hand #2 key that came with the car actually contains a #1 transmitter module in a #2 key-shell. The transmitter modules (the bits with the buttons on them) are factory set to #1 or #2 and can't be changed. The key-shell has the physical key attached, and the immobilizer RFID chip, and a #1 or #2 laser etched in the back, but doesn't actually have anything else specifically #1 or #2 about it. Perhaps the previous owner broke both keys in different ways and amalgamated them into one working one, who knows. Anyway, that's my bet on what's happening.

Good luck getting the knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers at the dealership to understand that though. I assume this isn't an actual Honda dealership? I'm pretty sure even on a bad day, they could work that out.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

You can actually check this pretty easily if you open up the key using a #0 screwdriver. The transmitter inside will say FOB #2 or FOB #1.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

When you are programming the keys, will the phone you have connected to the Pilot remember which one to sync? For example saw both me and my wife are in the car and we have our phones...will the car sync my phone because I am using my key or will it try to sync both?
pinzg35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

As far as I can tell, the Hands Free Link system pays no attention to which key you're using. As best I can tell, it tries to connect to the same phone it last connected to for preference, and if it can't find that, it'll try to connect to any other phone it recognizes. So if my wife starts my car, it'll try to find my phone, fail, then find hers. Quite annoying. Easy enough to fix, just hit the bluetooth talk button and say "Next phone" and it'll see what else it can find. If you want to know which one it's connected to, I think the command is "Status" or "Phone status"
Old 06-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theirishscion View Post
As far as I can tell, the Hands Free Link system pays no attention to which key you're using. As best I can tell, it tries to connect to the same phone it last connected to for preference, and if it can't find that, it'll try to connect to any other phone it recognizes. So if my wife starts my car, it'll try to find my phone, fail, then find hers. Quite annoying. Easy enough to fix, just hit the bluetooth talk button and say "Next phone" and it'll see what else it can find. If you want to know which one it's connected to, I think the command is "Status" or "Phone status"
would be nice if it would recognize the key being used but i guess this "last synced" feature isn't bad either.

thanks, i'll try those commands.
pinzg35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: