Acceleration Noise - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Acceleration Noise

Hi all,

I have a 2001 LX that has been making a high pitch rattling noise whenever I accelerate. It sounds similar to a rattling chain. I took it to the dealer, and they said its a sound present on all pilots. I don't hear it when others drive by. Am I looking at a transmission issue?
KansasPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Dealer must have just received a supply of BS.

What ever is causing it from intake to wheelhub, its not normal and needs to be fixed.

Go in and drive another 2011 Pilot with intelligent service guy not the first one. If you record the sound on your cellphone (video) of your car then the dealer sample, you'll just have more proof there is an issue.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

i posted a similar issue under "engine problems" thread, but have not had anyone reply with a possible problem/solution. i have a 2011 (700 miles) that does the same thing. it sounds like a chain when i accelerate, but is most noticeable in ECO mode when i am simply maintaining my speed. i am taking it in tomm. i am no car expert, but i know this is not "normal". chain noise is accompanied by increased engine vibration that is quite noticeable in the driver's seat. i will let you know what i find out.
ant-ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

loose heat shield or other part of the exhaust maybe? i know that isnt generally common on newer cars but you never know.
3rdrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

good point. never thought about that. however, that would not explain the engine vibration that goes with it.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

took my pilot to the dealer today and got what i expected. they said the noise is "normal" and that since there is no engine light on, there was no problem. receptionist at the service counter gave me the "your vehicle is brand new there is no way something is wrong with it" attitude. I did drive the vehicle with a technician riding and he said he noticed the noise, but claims it, as well as the sometimes rough shifting between gears, is normal for pilots and the odyssey. not sure i buy this, but i will let it go for now and see if it continues or gets worse. once i need my first oil change, it goes to another dealership to see what they think if it is still there.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Pretty much the same response I had from my dealer. I have a feeling its in the torque converter, but hopefully it really is nothing. I am logging my issues with Honda though.
KansasPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have the issue which started this weekend. My 11 Touring has only 30K miles on it. Not Happy
gumnaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

My 2011 has a similar sound. It's not a loud sound like a rattling heat shield or anything, just a faint sound like a chain is dragging underneath the car, and it's only during acceleration. I chalked it up as normal for the 2nd gen Pilot. I don't think you can hear it by observing from the outside; I can only hear it when I'm inside.

As an engineer, I am very picky about anything electrical or mechanical, however this sound doesn't have me worried one bit. First because there are multiple reports here of the same sound, and second because Honda has a pretty good reputation when it comes to warranty repairs. Read around and you'll see many cases where problems have been covered by Honda well outside the normal warranty period. Individual dealers can be annoying and cause grief, but at the corporate level Honda seems to be doing a good job at keeping customers happy and standing behind their products.
bassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassic View Post
My 2011 has a similar sound. It's not a loud sound like a rattling heat shield or anything, just a faint sound like a chain is dragging underneath the car, and it's only during acceleration.
Could this possibly be a light 'pinging' noise? Could you try a tank of premium fuel and see if there is any change?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

I tried a few tanks of the premium way back when. It did not work. When I test drove several new ones at the dealer, I was told they all had regular 87 in the tanks, like the manufacturer recommends and those did not make the noise mine did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: