Ice Covered Hill (Atlanta) - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Ice Covered Hill (Atlanta)

Hi All.

Just some observations about my recent experience driving the Pilot (2011 EX-L RES FWD) on ice.

I live in a cul-de-sac at the bottom of a hill, in the Atlanta area.

Since Monday, I have enjoyed watching cars come down the hill into the cul-de-sac, just to watch them try to get back up the hill, which was covered in snow/ice.

After watching numerous of them spend hours trying to get up the hill, I decided to give the Pilot a shot...

It went right up without any hesitation or problems.

I wasn't expecting to be able to drive right up so easily with a 2WD Pilot.

Bryan
bnesti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like you fared better with your 2WD on ice than we did with our new 4WD in 18" of heavy snow. My wife came home from work early yesterday, before our plow guy had a chance to attack our driveway. Without even really thinking about it, my wife headed down the driveway, but made it only about 40' before mushing to a halt. Not her fault and not the Pilot's; just too darn much snow. I literally had to shovel the snow out from under the Pilot to get it going again, this time locked in 4WD.
dadurling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

you were lucky to drive up the hill because you had momentum and the weight of the vehicle is on top of the FWD system of your pilot. now, if you fully stop in middle of the hill and try to go up, I doubt you will be able to make it without the VTM4 AWD capability.
2006 evolution IX MR(RIP)
2009 black raven escalade hybrid
2011 sumatra black range rover sport hse lux
2013 santorini black range rover sport hse lux

http://www.doctorownedcars.com/
sblvro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadurling View Post
Sounds like you fared better with your 2WD on ice than we did with our new 4WD in 18" of heavy snow. My wife came home from work early yesterday, before our plow guy had a chance to attack our driveway. Without even really thinking about it, my wife headed down the driveway, but made it only about 40' before mushing to a halt. Not her fault and not the Pilot's; just too darn much snow. I literally had to shovel the snow out from under the Pilot to get it going again, this time locked in 4WD.
18" of snow. Now, that's some snow.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblvro View Post
you were lucky to drive up the hill because you had momentum and the weight of the vehicle is on top of the FWD system of your pilot. now, if you fully stop in middle of the hill and try to go up, I doubt you will be able to make it without the VTM4 AWD capability.
Good points. Probably right that I wouldn't have been able to stop on the hill, and then make it up.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default 2WD on the Atlanta ice

My 2010 EX 2WD worked ok on the frozen streets of Atlanta this week. The problem was when ever I had to stop while going uphill. In those cases the stock Goodyear Fortera tires would spin on the mostly icy surface. I drove my 2005 Accord on Tuesday this week and I believe it performed better than the Pilot.

Has anyone had better performance with a different tire on 2WD Pilots? At 30K miles the Goodyears tend to spin on wet pavement, especially in uphill situations. I'm not heavy on the gas pedal. I go easy on the gas to mantain maximum mpg in town. I usually get 17 mpg on average around the city in stop and go traffic.
GA Pilot Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

I live in Blue Ridge, and my 2010 4WD won't climb the hill in front of my house....with tire cables! I'm not a happy camper. I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me trade for something with true 4WD and 4-Low capability. My mother-in-law's '98 Blazer comes up with no issue whatsoever!
Turtle12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle12 View Post
I live in Blue Ridge, and my 2010 4WD won't climb the hill in front of my house....with tire cables! I'm not a happy camper. I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me trade for something with true 4WD and 4-Low capability. My mother-in-law's '98 Blazer comes up with no issue whatsoever!
Try a different set of tires before entirely trading in unless you depend on a true 4wd system.

I have about 2-3" patch of snow/ice in front of my driveway as well and a 20 degree slope. My 09' 4wd Pilot and 96' Land Cruser both equipped with Michelin LTX M/S can drive up effortlessly. My Audi (with quattro aka 4wd) and dedicated Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires can climb without a hitch, however my 01' Xterra even locked into 4wd and center differential locks has a ton of difficulty. My Xterra has Bridgestone Revo A/T tires.

Last edited by bdac2k; 01-14-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: grammer
bdac2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdac2k View Post
Try a different set of tires before entirely trading in unless you depend on a true 4wd system.

I have about 2-3" patch of snow/ice in front of my driveway as well and a 20 degree slope. My 09' 4wd Pilot and 96' Land Cruser both equipped with Michelin LTX M/S can drive up effortlessly. My Audi (with quattro aka 4wd) and dedicated Michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires can climb without a hitch, however my 01' Xterra even locked into 4wd and center differential locks has a ton of difficulty. My Xterra has Bridgestone Revo A/T tires.
As stated above Tires are key. The Fortera's are horrible in Snow. My Nokian WR2 SUV have no issues what so ever.
spikeitaudi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default 06 awd

Also in Atlanta and have praises for my "last gen" AWD Pilot after our recent snow and "icemageddon" this week...

Have newer Bridgestone H/L tires with around 5K miles on them and went EVERYwhere from dead stops on entirely ice covered hills (with some snow/rough areas underneath the icecap) to snow covered streets to emergency stops when the "other idiot" spun out in front of me. In short, flawless acceleration and actually found it safer to accelerate through situations in the few times I needed the anti-lock brakes.

I luvs my AWD.
edawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

I've come to the conclusion that the tires must be the problem. I can't wait for the Fortera's to wear out!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle12 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that the tires must be the problem. I can't wait for the Fortera's to wear out!
Good luck with that. I got 52,000 miles on the GY Integrities before I replaced them and they still had usable tread left. I couldn't take the noise and crappy handling anymore.
2007 Pilot EX-L AWD Nav Nimbus Grey, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Cargo Cover, WWong's pads, Blitzsafe Aux Input & Sirius Starbase, Splash Guards, Subframe Braces, DEI 452T auto door lock mod, Fumoto drain valve, Parrot 3200 Bluetooth, Polk db651s & db651, Michelin LTX M/S2

1999 F-250SD XLT SC 4x4 Black & Silver, Stainless Running Boards, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Sirius
macphanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphanatic View Post
Good luck with that. I got 52,000 miles on the GY Integrities before I replaced them and they still had usable tread left. I couldn't take the noise and crappy handling anymore.
Yeah, we had an '07 before this '10 and the Integrities did last forever. These Fortera's have about 23,000 on them, and they're almost done.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Fortera Tires not suited for snow/ice

For those who have issues the the Goodyear Fortera tire performance on snow/ice, please let Goodyear and Honda know.

I have issued complaints to both companies, and they state there are no issues. The Fortera tires are a click short of what I would call dangerous on snow/ice covered roads. The new Hankook Optimos on my Civic provide better grip on snow/ice than my 4WD Pilot.

I don't appreciate buying a 4WD vehicle $$$, only to have saftey compromised by a poor choice of tires by Honda. Equally disappointed by Goodyear, who's Corporate Headquarters, is in nearby Akron, Ohio, an area that gets a good amount of snow. Most of their tires fall short on snow/ice performance. Look at Tire Rack or Consumer Reports evaluations.

If you have a legitimate issue with these tires, make your voice heard!
snaggletooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
xGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
For those who have issues the the Goodyear Fortera tire performance on snow/ice, please let Goodyear and Honda know.

I have issued complaints to both companies, and they state there are no issues. The Fortera tires are a click short of what I would call dangerous on snow/ice covered roads. The new Hankook Optimos on my Civic provide better grip on snow/ice than my 4WD Pilot.

I don't appreciate buying a 4WD vehicle $$$, only to have saftey compromised by a poor choice of tires by Honda. Equally disappointed by Goodyear, who's Corporate Headquarters, is in nearby Akron, Ohio, an area that gets a good amount of snow. Most of their tires fall short on snow/ice performance. Look at Tire Rack or Consumer Reports evaluations.
Not to necessarily defend the Goodyear tires, but, let's suppose that it's your job to select tires for the Pilot.
From the list below (a CR test), which tires would you have chosen?
Attached Thumbnails
Ice Covered Hill (Atlanta)-cr_lt-suv_tiretest.jpg  
xGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: