Cracked Windshield - How can I tell if a replacement is acoustic glass? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Cracked Windshield - How can I tell if a replacement is acoustic glass?

I've been driving around with a cracked windshield for a very long time now. I simply have not had the time to get it fixed. At the same time the cost of an OEM windshield has not helped a bit.

I spoke to an auto glass repair shop guy and he told me that he could replace the windshield with acoustic glass for $300. That's a big difference from the $850 the dealer asked for. My question is, how would I be able to tell the difference from regular single layer glass? He mentioned that there would be code on the glass that has an A for acoustic. But how do I really know if this is true.

I would hate to pay to get the job done to find out that I did not get what I need.
leoskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

I went through the same thing earlier this year. My recommendation is to find a glass shop that sells/installs PGW branded windshields. PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) makes windshields for Honda and other car makers. They also sell aftermarket windshields that are OEM equivalent. I had my windshield replaced in May of this year with a PGW Soundmaster (it is noted as such in the bottom center of the windshield). As the name implies, the "Soundmaster" line is acoustically treated. It was $319 installed, so your $300 price tag sounds inline with mine. This windshield also has the same sun shield dots around the edges and behind the rear view mirror. It is just as quiet as the factory one.

Last edited by HenryBravo; 11-23-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: slight clarification
HenryBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I tried Safelite and they wanted $500 for the job. I found a local place that will give me a lifetime warranty for $265. They will come to my house and do the job. The guy told me that he uses PGW and Carlite glass. He also told me that there was only one option available for Pilots, acoustic. Not sure how true that is but I scheduled the job because of the warranty. He also mentioned to me that he does replacements for several DCH Honda dealerships in Central Jersey and the glass that has the Honda logo on it is the same thing that he uses but with out the logo. The difference in price can be 2 to 3 times more just for the logo. Ef that! I can deal without it.
leoskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Dealers always sub contract glass jobs and up the charge from the installer price to whatever Honda/their computer wants to charge
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had mine replaced about a month ago and also waited all summer to get it done since the dealer was charging so much. I took mine to Royal Glass and the acoustic windshield is exactly the same with all the markings and numbers with the exception that it does not have the HONDA name and barcode on the drivers side. I paid 287. Definitely worth the price!! and the savings....
Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I live in Michigan and I own 3 vehicle including the new 2011 Pilot and they're all fully insured. My 2008 Maxima had it windshield replaced and my 2005 Ford F150 windshield been replaced twiced and I have yet paid a penny or a deductible towards my windsield replacement. Isn't the same in most states with full insurance coverage?
maxummus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

A few extra tips for the archives:

This post has info about the Acoustic glass and installation process:
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/353094-post4.html

The two places I called both knew to ask about the Acoustic glass. They also ask about the auto dimming mirrors. I inquired about this and they explained the dot matrix pattern along the top of the factory window is there to hide the electronics in the dimming mirrors, so the replacements would have the same.
brianf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxummus View Post
Isn't the same in most states with full insurance coverage?
Depends on the insurance carrier and policy. A lot of us have high deductibles and glass replacement is below the deductible. Some policies have special provisions for glass coverage and/or will waive the deductible if you go with their glass shop or go with epoxy repair rather than replacement.

- Mark
whizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

my insurance, amica have the glass coverage and waives the deductible if it is done in their accredited shop(safelite) plus they give me a dividend(about $700) at the end of the year.
2006 evolution IX MR(RIP)
2009 black raven escalade hybrid
2011 sumatra black range rover sport hse lux
2013 santorini black range rover sport hse lux

http://www.doctorownedcars.com/
sblvro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Many insurance companies have a glass policy, but if you don't, a zero-dollar comprehensive deductible will cover the window. That's what I have to do. I used to own a Volvo and my comprehensive insurance covered the $700+ OEM windshield ever time it broke. Safelite was the installer. Admittedly, I have USAA (Military insurance) so my rates are going to be lower, but I only pay a buck-fifty extra a month to go down to zero-dollar comprehensive. Most companies shouldn't be too far off that. So worth it!
scampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

In Mass glass has Zero deductible unless you decide otherwise.

All other states have a deductible on glass unless you decide otherwise.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have AAA, and the deductible for windshield replacement is $100.
Totaled on 2/9/11 @ 100,700 miles - Spun out on the snow/ice covered highway and collided with the cable barriers.

roarkrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

If I remember correctly...only EX-L and Touring came with acoustic glass from the factory. EX and LX didn't.
2010exl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

im going through the same thing.we had a rock chip repaired about 2 weeks ago.it didnt look like they knew what they were doing by the way it looked afterwards.i called and he promised it was done right and would never crack.today it cracked about 8 in.in every direction.i called insurance back and asked them to send who they use.the lady asked what glass i wanted so i said original honda she took the vin and said she would check with ins.called back and said insu.will pay for honda oem and i owe nothing.it sucks our windshield cracked but lucky we have a decent ins.company.
saylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryBravo View Post
I went through the same thing earlier this year. My recommendation is to find a glass shop that sells/installs PGW branded windshields. PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) makes windshields for Honda and other car makers. They also sell aftermarket windshields that are OEM equivalent. I had my windshield replaced in May of this year with a PGW Soundmaster (it is noted as such in the bottom center of the windshield). As the name implies, the "Soundmaster" line is acoustically treated. It was $319 installed, so your $300 price tag sounds inline with mine. This windshield also has the same sun shield dots around the edges and behind the rear view mirror. It is just as quiet as the factory one.
Henry, have you noticed any increase in the cabin noise level after replacing your windshield?

I've just made a mistake and trusted my local shop. After they looked at the windshield codes, they concluded that the original windshield of my Touring was NOT sound treated. The second I closed the windows after replacing it, I noticed the level of noise wasn't normal, so that's when I started reading the specifications and learn about the "acoustic windshield with double-pane glass"..

I will call the shop and I'm confident they will take care of the issue, but now that I know it's such a big deal, I'm worried about the quality a non-OEM glass could deliver, even if replaced with a sound treated glass.

any advice?
Sabues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: