Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

new factory remote starter

36K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  Im2c0oL 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This topic has been discussed. Get one from Viper for more control.:29:

#4 · (Edited)
I apologize!

That was definitely not my intention Rocky and I appreciate you calling me out on this.
Sh3lby_pilot the only limitation that I see and from reading threads on this site.
The Honda system once started needs to be shutdown before you can enter the vehicle.
Then another restart of course and away you go, but if this is not a problem the Honda
remote starter is the way to go. Hope I got that right.

#10 ·
That was definitely not my intention Rocky and I appreciate you calling me out on this.
Sh3lby_pilot the only limitation that I see and from reading threads on this site.
The Honda system once started needs to be shutdown before you can enter the vehicle.
Then another restart of course and away you go, but if this is not a problem the Honda
remote starter is the way to go. Hope I got that right.

OK, update. the instruction manual shows that he has an Avital 4003 in the car.

Using his original Honda key/fob and not an extra fob, he can start the car, then unlock it, then enter, key in hte ignition and drive off without having to shut down and restart (the apparent issue with the OEM starter.)

And the dealer installed it and he still has the valet key. Is that the way to go?

oh, BTW, after some negotiating issue, they "threw" in this system, valued at $900 per the dealer. I am that is a stealership tactic but....just FYI.

I've gotten quotes for a Viper 2 way 5300 for $550 to 650 installed. I am now going to see the link stated above. But considering what that Avital does, I wonder if the Viper is necessary.

COme ot think of it, wifey wants/likes a 2 way....

the research continues. But ...

with any aftermarket not installed by the dealer, has anyone had warranty issues?

#5 ·
thanks for the kind words. i like my viper 5900 on my 01 accord but the idea of the oem starter w/o disabling the factory immobilizer and keep the key button function is nice. I read the other thread about it having to start the car more than once is not good in the long run. I just thought honda might fix the issue since I saw the new remote is diff and has lcd screen.

if the function is not:
-remote start while door remains locked
-unlocked the doors
-put key in ignition II, step on the brake
-drive

still not worth gettin.

oh well, this might have been a good gift for wifey!

#8 ·
......but the idea of the oem starter w/o disabling the factory immobilizer.....
The Honda OEM remote start unit still disables the immobilizer during remote start mode - it's no different from how an aftermarket system does it with the proper data interface.

#6 ·
Great Gift.

Explain how the Honda setup works and let her make the decision.
Honda or aftermarket you'll definitely make points on this one.:31:

#7 ·
The OEM system stinks. Absolutely horrible....after you start the car remotely, you CANNOT unlock the doors until you stop the engine. If you attempt to use the key, the engine dies. Honda needs to take some time to study aftermarket remote starts, as well as the other OEM's remote starter systems.

Had it in the wifes Pilot for two weeks, and asked for my money back, dealer instead swapped it for a unit I would be satisfied with.

#9 ·
Hey all.

I've sat on not gettting a remote starter/alarm for the last year.

Then my neighbor just got his across the street 2 days ago. Same Pilot color but in touring, my sister ship ;)

. I dont think its the OEM since he said he can turn remote start it(with doors locked), then he has to use the key in the keyhole to unlock/enter and then can get just drive off. I did not see the engine quit. And he does it all from the original honda key Fob. So I assume it is indeed the OEM remote?

And its from the dealer. I'm gonna step outside and go check again but that is what it seemed like.

So if that is hte case, I am conufsed why NOT to get the OEM Honda.

Neighbor brought up a point that since its a new car, his first Honda and he does not know how "straight up" honda would be about warrantees, he just went with the Honda OEM since perhaps an outside aftermarket install would invalidate the warrantee.

Has anyone ever had issue with putting in an non OEm aftermarter remote start and having warranty issues?

#11 ·
To be fair (and sorry if this has been mentioned)...
If your intent is to install the RES yourself and you are NOT an everyday installer, I'd go factory. The factory remote starts basically come with a wire harness that simply plugs in. Other than having to remove panels (which you have to do either way), the OEM remote starts are **far** easier to install. Unlike with aftermarket remote starts, you do NOT have to "splice" into any wires, install any relays (which invariably includes a lesson on what relays are and how they work), etc.

HOWEVER... They do, as previously stated, have far fewer features. Additionally, the OEM remote start (again, previously stated) will shut the engine off if you unlock the doors, put the key in the ignition, open the hood, etc. Aftermarket ones (most, if not all) allow you to unlock the car using the remote, get in, and put the key in the ignition and the engine will continue to run (as long as you don't press the brake pedal).

I just figured it was important to note the significant ease of installation difference between OEM and aftermarket.

#12 ·
Aftermarket systems can be programmed to use the factory remote (i.e. hit the lock button 3 times to remote start). Dealers will sometimes subcontract a local shop/installer to do their aftermarket add-on stuff and then charge an outrageous price for it. From my experience the installation quality is usually subpar to MECP standards.

In regards to warranty issues.....if something OEM is damaged from an aftermarket part or installation then the warranty can be voided - but only on the part(s) that was damaged. So if the alarm caused damaged to the OEM immobilizer system then the warranty will be voided on just the immobilizer system. You will still have coverage on the engine, transmission, AC, etc.

#13 ·
so if the installer is MECP certified, I should be OK?

It seems the stealership is subcontracting out to an installer that comes to their shop(I know this as an employee there told me) but I looked at the installer's B+M site and its states they are MECP certified.

So what do you think? safe bet?

#14 ·
Being MECP certified is the first step. I would need to see examples of the work. I would also ask a lot of questions (i.e. Are all or most connections/taps soldered and the taped appropriately? Where is the alarm brain being placed? Where is the siren going to be mounted (should be out of sight and not easily accessible)? What immobilizer bypass module is being used? Where are the LED and valet switch going to be mounted?

In the end, the install should be as OEM-looking as possible with the only indication of an aftermarket system being the LED and valet switch. IIRC the newer DEI stuff integrates the valet switch and antenna.

#18 ·
Just quoted $399 +49 to give up key (or +75 to have module installed w/o giving up key) from Audio Planet NY for Viper 5901

Some internet searching shows questionable reviews as well as bbb.org poor rating.

seems might not be worth the price....

Im confused....w this remote start, are you allowed to turn on, unlock, insert key and drive off???

#19 ·
I had Avital 5303 (Viper family) remote stater installed on my 2011 honda pilot for $350. It has a range of 1500 feet and automatically lock the doors when the vehicle is remote start so no one can try to get in the vehicle while it's running. Nice thing about this, you don't have to turn off the vehicle to unlock the doors to get in...OEM you have to turn off the vehicle to open the doors.

#20 ·
@Xeption, yes you can start the car remotely, open doors and drive w/o engine shut off.

I just got another quote, from a dealer that installs them onsite at a stealership so I might go for it:

the cost to do the Viper 5701 2 way LED alarm & remote start is $399.99.

The Viper 5901 2 way LCD alarm & remote start is $499.99.

There is an extra charge for the remote start bypass which is required to complete the installation as well. We offer a universal bypass where you supply a valet key for $60.00 installed or we have another type of bypass that clones your key and you don’t need to give up your valet key for an additional $70.00 more.

We also carry an AVITAL 2-way alarm & remote start which is made by the makers of VIPER for $349.99 installed.

I am heavily leaning toward the 5701. The price for the 5901 is great at audioplanet above, but when I saw the bbb rating of F along with a few unfavorable interview reviews...I can't bring myself to go to audioplanet to save $100

#23 ·
I'mm seeing Viper Python and Avital are all the same parent company? So is there any real difference between any of these brands??
DEI is the parent and most of the alarms are the same at the core. You'll see more similarities in features and remotes between Viper, Python and Clifford. Also Viper and Clifford can only be sold installed through authorized dealers (in order to have a warranty). Certain Python and Avital models can be sold to the DIY market with warranty support. The prices you got on the 5701 and 5901 are in the "market range." I would ask what bypass module specifically they use. The latest and greatest that interfaces directly with DEI alarms via the D2D port is the Xpresskit DB-ALL. The installer can download the appropriate firmware to work with Honda's CAN bus.

#26 ·
The newer immobilizer bypass modules also can "learn" the car's door, hood and trunk triggers. In the past, installers would have run separate taps for all of the triggers - now you can have an all-in-one device if you will. Also the D2D compatilbility means that the module can plug directly into the alarm brain instead of having run separate wires. IMO, having these types of interface modules cuts down installation time and reduces error.

#30 ·
Just had an aftermarket shop install an avital 4113 for 239.00. Works great! Range is 1000ft. Door locks as soon as car is remote started. To unlock doors press the remote 2 times and the doors unlock. Engine continues to run, insert key and you are off. Avital is a dei product. Works well thus far. Warranty from the installer is 3 years or 36,000 miles.

#33 ·
#34 · (Edited)
I bought an after-market remote start for my car years ago while living in Wisconsin. It was awesome. The only negative was you had to have your A/C or heater/defrost left on, but it was very programmable. Anyone who lives up north knows that those cold nights can leave you stranded in the morning. This system could be programmed to start the car automatically every one, two, or four hours, and leave it running for 2, 4, 8, 18, 28 minutes before shutting down. (Important if you lived in an apartment and plugging in a block heater is not an option.) In addition, if you had started your vehicle and had to run back into the house, you could use the remote start, take your key out of the ignition (shut off the ignition), lock your car door, and run back into the house with your car (and heat or a/c) still running. I also used this so I could leave my car running while checking my PO box. The kill switch was the brake, so it would shut off when you tapped the brake. You could lock and unlock the doors, get in and out without it turning off. I don't think the Honda system is as programmable, but I could be wrong.

#35 ·
I didn't mean to change the topic to the issue of T-Taps, but I'm not comfortable with having them on my car, especially since I plan to keep it for 10+ years.

I've contacted the dealer and they are going to swap out the ignition harness with a new one from another Pilot once they receive their next delivery (get it before they ruin the rest of them). No spliced wires, no T-taps, exactly as it comes from the Honda factory.

It's common practice at this dealership along with every other one in the area to install these cheap aftermarket alarms to allegedly protect their inventory and keep their insurance rates down, but more likely it's to squeeze an extra $600 out of uninformed consumers by selling the alarm as an extra option.

I've heard the 3M brand ScotchLocks form a "moisture-resistant" seal when used with the corresponding male spade connectors (from their product literature) but I'm not so sure I trust it. Thin copper wire doesn't do so well when it's exposed to moisture and air, and I don't want to take this risk on a $30K+ vehicle.

#36 ·
Don't see why there would be a need to add an after-market alarm system. They come equipped with antitheft systems. I highly doubt an alarm would matter much in regards to insurance. Seems like it is nothing more than a gimmick to trap unsuspecting customers.

#37 ·
OK I have a question. I spoke with my local 2 Honda dealers about the remote start to be installed in my 2010 Pilot touring. They both pointed me to a local installer they refer the after market starters to. I went with a Compustar system. They did a good install. I was playing around with it and found a flaw. While the vehicle is locked and you press the start button. The lights flash then it unlocks the doors for about 5 seconds. Then they lock and it starts. I was concerned about this void in the doors being left unlocked.
The place that installed it said it was just the way the system has to get around the factory Honda anti theft system. I asked if the Viper ones operated the way and they assured me they use the same bypass.
Does anyone else have this happen or are they just blowing smoke?
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.