Updates to the NAVI system - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-29-2010, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Updates to the NAVI system

I own a 2010 Pilot Touring model with NAVI. Bought it in November 2009 and I just received a letter from Honda or someone offering an update to the Map for $185 with free shipping. When I go to their website, it doesn't look like a "good" site....not very straighforward anyway.

hondanavi.com/white

What have others here done about updating the NAVI system map data? Also are there more places to buy it than just from Honda and what is the cost, etc?

Thanks
hiramhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Save yourself the money. The nav is completely outdated and it will not offer many improvements. The most those updates usually do is add some POI, and maybe if you are lucky update a new road or two.
kasrhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiramhonda View Post
I own a 2010 Pilot Touring model with NAVI. Bought it in November 2009 and I just received a letter from Honda or someone offering an update to the Map for $185 with free shipping. When I go to their website, it doesn't look like a "good" site....not very straighforward anyway.

hondanavi.com/white

What have others here done about updating the NAVI system map data? Also are there more places to buy it than just from Honda and what is the cost, etc?

Thanks
Honda Navteq is the only game in town for the Honda Navi systems. The Pilot uses the "white" version, others have different colors due to differences in the nav systems and colors are not interchgangable.

Check to see which version you have to see is an update is worthwhile. My 2009 had a old version as it was built in 6/08. I purchased a new version this spring which was V4.91 the most current version is 4.92.

All said I will not buy another update as my 4 year old TOM-TOM has better info. I'll spend less than that $185 and get another Tom-Tom with LIFETIME map updates!
RSQ Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks, guys, you confirmed what I had thought...esp not to buy an update now..

Can you buy one at any time or do you have to buy them incrementally ? I might wait 2 or 3 years then take another look. We like having the built in system.
hiramhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiramhonda View Post
Thanks, guys, you confirmed what I had thought...esp not to buy an update now..

Can you buy one at any time or do you have to buy them incrementally ? I might wait 2 or 3 years then take another look. We like having the built in system.
You can update as you want and you can order them at any time from dealer or via the honda navteq e-store.
RSQ Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

With the amount of money people pay for Navi system...honda should offer free life time map upgrade. Tomtom and Garmin offer free life time map upgrade and more for alot less money.

Also I can step off an airplane in to a rental car with my tomtom or garmin and not drive my pilot cross country and get lost with honda stock navi.
maxummus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm in the same situation. I love my navigation system but I'm frustrated because when I drove off of the lot, my system was already years out of date. Now that I have an iphone I just look it up the address on one of the apps like around me or just google. Then I put the address into the Pilot. So far it has worked well. No need for update.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxummus View Post
With the amount of money people pay for Navi system...honda should offer free life time map upgrade. Tomtom and Garmin offer free life time map upgrade and more for alot less money.

Also I can step off an airplane in to a rental car with my tomtom or garmin and not drive my pilot cross country and get lost with honda stock navi.
AGREED!

I think it sucks, that I bought a 2009 vehicle with Nav, and Hondas NAV didn't have a major interstate highway on it! (355 extension if your in IL).

Now, 355 extension was done prior to my wife and I purchasing our 2007 Acura RDX with Nav. We were OK with the RDX not having the new 355 extension, seeing as it had only recently been completed. (11-12-2007 completion)

Two and a half years later we traded the RDX on the Pilot, and we find out still no update shpowing the extension. We travel it daily, and it is so annoying when we are trying to use the GPS and it keeps rerouting you because it doesn't recognize us as being on a road.

This HONDA is unacceptable. When I buy a 2009 vehicle, and pay as much as I did for the NAVI upgrade, the map database should be current. No excuses.

I called, explained my story to Honda, they refused to do anything to help me, besides offer the disc to me at full retail price
dieseldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

As with a few other things, Honda is being penny wise and dollar foolish. Almost as if they don't care if you buy a subsequent Honda as long as you buy the first one.
mobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

In case you guys don't notice it, the white NAV upgrade is on sale for $99. The Official Honda Map Update Site
Current: 2008 4WD EX-L NAV - OEM Tow Package - OEM Running Boards - Sirius conversion using OEM headunit and antenna - Vizualogic A-1250 Dual DVD Headrests - RGB converter for DVD on NAV screen - Hitch-Haul - Air Lift 1000 - USA-Spec PA15-HON2 - DEI 452T Auto Locks - Thule Crossroads and Cargo Box - Michelin Latitudes

Old: 2005 EX-L NAV
jcantanixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldad View Post
AGREED!

I think it sucks, that I bought a 2009 vehicle with Nav, and Hondas NAV didn't have a major interstate highway on it! (355 extension if your in IL).

Now, 355 extension was done prior to my wife and I purchasing our 2007 Acura RDX with Nav. We were OK with the RDX not having the new 355 extension, seeing as it had only recently been completed. (11-12-2007 completion)

Two and a half years later we traded the RDX on the Pilot, and we find out still no update shpowing the extension. We travel it daily, and it is so annoying when we are trying to use the GPS and it keeps rerouting you because it doesn't recognize us as being on a road.

This HONDA is unacceptable. When I buy a 2009 vehicle, and pay as much as I did for the NAVI upgrade, the map database should be current. No excuses.

I called, explained my story to Honda, they refused to do anything to help me, besides offer the disc to me at full retail price
Alpine makes Honda/Acura Navi systems. The alpine systems use Navteq maps. Honda really has no input into the Navteq map specifics, but you can complain about Honda specific missing info directly to Navteq: Link (see the last paragraph).
jl_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

So, can you buy one that has already been used on a different car or will it only update one VIN?
F4Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: