oil change - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default oil change

when should i change my oil or at what percent. the life says its 90% right now with 1,027 miles on the pilot. am i dIY guy never had a Honda vehicle thinking about going with mobile 1 synthetic. should i add some additives with the oil change too. or just the oil. or should i get the first oil chage from the dealer.
deep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

What does your owner's manual say?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
when should i change my oil or at what percent. the life says its 90% right now with 1,027 miles on the pilot. am i dIY guy never had a Honda vehicle thinking about going with mobile 1 synthetic. should i add some additives with the oil change too. or just the oil. or should i get the first oil chage from the dealer.
You don't need to change the oil until the MM (maintenance minder) says so, it will come on around 15%.

Also, if you are capable, go ahead and change your own oil. Mobil 1 synthetic (5w20) is a good choice. It isn't necessary to add any oil additives.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

When we bought our Pilot the salesman said not to come in to change the oil for the first time until it was at around 1%.We have about 2100 miles on it and the oil life is at 80%.After the first time he said to not let it get below 15% before having it changed.I plan on going synthetic for the entire life of the Pilot and going pretty much "by the book" as far as maintenence goes.
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I do mine at the dealer as they inspect everything and they throw also a car wash . I use M1 Syn on my 2 Hondas w/o any issues.

WW: 11 Pilot EX-L ASM 2WD, JDM Yellow Turn Bulbs, Crystal Vision Hi & Low Beams, 2500K Fogs Bulbs, Stage 2 LED conversion
DD: 06 Accord EX-L V6 6MT 4DR ASM, Honda MP3 Player, Honda DVD Player, JDM Yellow Turn Bulbs, 9006 Crystal Vision, 9005 2500K bulbs, 2500K Fogs bulbs, Stage 2 LED conversion, Euro Switchblade Key, TL RSB

rafael73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

It clearly states in the manual to wait until it drops below 10-15%.
But it doesn't state anywhere how to adjust for synthetic.
This is a mileage+use-based meter and not a viscosity meter (as I was led to believe)

Also I read in some places the oil filter is easily accessible by just turning the front wheels to the right, but the manual says we need to jack it up...sigh
mogambo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

When my wife got her oil changed for the first time in her pilot, the dealer failed to tighten the drain plug all the way. When I was crawling underneath to find the source of the leak, I noticed that the oil filter is right by the drain plug and looked very easy to get to. After our next oil change at the dealer, which is free because of their mistake the first time, I will probably just do it myself. It looks really easy and definitely easier than my civic that requires me to jack up the front and remove the right front tire to get to the filter, though not quite as easy as the S2000.
wickerbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

My only suggestion to DIY’ers is to buy some of the Honda aluminum washers for the drain plug. And only tighten to 29 foot pounds. I think you can reuse the washers a few times. If you can easily remove the washer from the bolt, use it. If you have to get pliers and a vice, use a new one.

If you don’t use the washer, and you over tighten, you might strip the threads on the pan.

Without raising the vehicle a little, you will have a hard time using the torque wrench on the plug.
mobro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wouldn't labor about whether you have it done at 15%, or 10%, or 1% or even if you run it over a bit. Just get it done at approximately the time it gets near 0%. These MM systems are just general algorithms for when it is probably the best tradeoff between maintenance expense and engine life and putting a fine point on it is not justified.

- Mark
whizmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just my 2 cents on this topic is change the oil after 1000 miles for any brand new engine. I was always told by professional engine re-builders and other mechanics that any new engine will have the most metal particles during this time. I go so far as to even drain and replace the differential oil as well on other vehicles because of the metal particles and a lack of a filter.

Synthetic oil during the break in is fine and I have not personally seen any problems in switching from conventional oil to synthetic but Redline oil is the only one that recommend 2000 miles before switching. Now before I start a war on which oil is better, Mobil recommends that their synthetic oils be changed at the mfg. recommended miles and Redline recommends the same but after the OEM warranty, you can go 10k to 18k or ONE YEAR !!!

Ok, MY OPINION, I use conventional oil, I change oil and filter at 3k-5k depending on the vehicle and the application. I have rebuilt my own motor and seen the insides and I will stick to what I know. Synthetic oil is great and I use it on one of my vehicles that tends to run on the hotter end where conventional oil tends to gunk up but the rest of my cars it's conventional oil because it's cheap and it has to be changed anyways.

Can synthetic oil out do conventional oil, yes in some applications but for most applications I don't think so because the oil still needs to be changed regularly. How do I know, smell your oil after 3k miles. Engine oil will smell like gas whether it is synthetic or conventional. Gas will contaminate the oil regardless and no filter or oil will be able to remove it other then changing your oil. You change the engine oil because it is contaminated, not because the oil is going bad. Engine oil is suppose to lubricate and carry away heat and contamination. The filter can only remove particulates and not the acids and other chemicals in the oil.
jeepersncreeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

This is scaring me off! I haven't went through my first oil change yet. My Pilot has 4500 miles and the Oil life states 60%... I used to change the oil every 3000 miles in all my vehicles, and I don't know if this is normal.
What should I do?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabues View Post
This is scaring me off! I haven't went through my first oil change yet. My Pilot has 4500 miles and the Oil life states 60%... I used to change the oil every 3000 miles in all my vehicles, and I don't know if this is normal.
What should I do?
The 3,000 mile oil change is a dinosaur of the past. You throw money down the drain if you continue it today. Trust what Honda tells you. Let it get down to 15% and you'll be fine.
KansasPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabues View Post
What should I do?

Yep, you're fine. I didnt change mine until 8800 miles
Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

I think it best to use some common sense. Dino oil 3,000 to 3,500 miles and Synthetic 7,500 to 8,000 miles. That is if you care about your car. If you’re going to trade it in 3 or 4 years and want to trash it out for the next sucker that’s your choice. I can tell you Honda don't care all they want to do is sell more Honda's and parts. If your engine trashes out while in warranty and it’s due to an oil problem like lack of changing (max.7500 miles) and proof (service receipt) You better have money saved up in the bank. Oil is cheaper than a new engine, protect your investment and don't be tight!

Last edited by chas22; 04-04-2011 at 11:50 PM.
chas22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas22 View Post
I think it best to use some common sense. Dino oil 3,000 to 3,500 miles and Synthetic 7,500 to 8,000 miles. That is if you care about your car. If youíre going to trade it in 3 or 4 years and want to trash it out for the next sucker thatís your choice. I can tell you Honda don't care all they want to do is sell more Honda's and parts. If your engine trashes out while in warranty and itís due to an oil problem like lack of changing (max.7500 miles) and proof (service receipt) You better have money saved up in the bank. Oil is cheaper than a new engine, protect your investment and don't be tight!
The only people that really recommend 3000 mile oil changes are the oil change places and don't tell me they have your best interests at heart and honda doesn't.
wickerbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: