b1 service code - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default b1 service code

So I took my 2009 Pilot in this morning for the b1 service code. I understood it to be an oil change and tire rotation. They told me it will be $92.00 for an oil change, tire rotation, undercarriage inspection, parking brake calibration, and some other things. Does that seem right? It seems like a lot of money for such a new car. Any thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

About $40 worth of BS there.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I log on to the Owners Link and got the minder below. If I can't feel any problems with the brakes and such, I am always wary about these 'inspections' by the dealer.

I would also like to see opinions of others.

Maintenance Minder B Scheduled Maintenance

Replace engine oil1 and oil filter
Inspect front and rear brakes
Check parking brake adjustment
Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots
Inspect suspension components
Inspect driveshaft boots
Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS/VSA)
Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
Inspect exhaust system#
Inspect fuel lines and connections#
1: If the message "SERVICE" does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.
#: See information on maintenance and emissions warranty on page 467 of your owner's manual.

Independent of the maintenance messages in the information display, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.

Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).

Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 only if they are noisy.

Maintenance Minder 1 Scheduled
Maintenance
Recommended service for your 2010 Honda Pilot:

Rotate tires

Independent of the maintenance messages in the information display, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.

Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).

Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 only if they are noisy
Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

$90 sounds pretty reasonable for a B inspection at a dealership. If the do all the inspections, they'll easily take an hour of labor. (They probably won't do most of the things on the list, but that's pretty much par for the course.)

If you want to get by more cheaply, I'd get the oil changed at an independent shop of your choice and look for one of the tire stores that does free rotation. But I'd pay $90 for car under warranty to have a "no questions asked" dealer service stamp on the records. And they'll probably wash/vacuum your car.

- Mark
whizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to samc

Lets do the math.

Oil change is usually $19.95 from any gas station or quickie lube?

I suppose tire rotation is about $15? Although I haven't ever paid to have it done and if you need to then you should put your hand under a hammer and swing.

And it's a new car so inspection from their point of view is like a guy with a flash light and 3 minutes to spare.

If you're one of those guys that doesn't like to get his hands dirty then by all means take it into Honda for the B1 maintenance but you're looking at a $91 oil change. Conventional oil....
samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by samc
Lets do the math.

Oil change is usually $19.95 from any gas station or quickie lube?

I suppose tire rotation is about $15? Although I haven't ever paid to have it done and if you need to then you should put your hand under a hammer and swing.

And it's a new car so inspection from their point of view is like a guy with a flash light and 3 minutes to spare.

If you're one of those guys that doesn't like to get his hands dirty then by all means take it into Honda for the B1 maintenance but you're looking at a $91 oil change. Conventional oil....
To expect the same prices at a dealership as at quickie lube places and tire shops is not reasonable. (And even the quick lubes are more than $20 last time I checked.) Dealerships simply have a lot more overhead and, on average, use better parts/materials, and do better work. Whether it's worth the extra is up to the customer, but $92 given the prevailing $120/hr shop labor rate at most dealerships makes this a reasonable quote.

- Mark
whizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default just brought mine in at 8,500 miles

I just brought mine in to my dealership for an oil change, tire rotation and multipoint inspection (whatever that is). They emailed me a coupon for $39.00 plus tax. The other dealership in town was $29.99 without the rotation.

BTW - I'm a 42 year old woman and I'm not rotating my own tires!!
a4men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, look what happened to this guy ($250.00): B1 Service 250$ - what the....? - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Crossbars (Dealer Inc.); Auto Day/Night Mirror (Dealer Inc.); Door Edge Guards; Running Boards with Lights; Protection Package (Dealer Inc.--Wheel locks, All-Season floor mats, Cargo Mat);
Window tint (Dealer Inc.); Trailer package--Hitch, Wiring harness and plug, Locking lynchpin, 2-inch ball; Adv. Cargo Net

1995 Toyoto Corolla DX

Power locks; Power windows; Rear window defogger/defroster; Factory Alloy Wheels; AM/FMCasette; TDS

2001 Toyota Camry LE

Dealer Package--Power locks, Power windows, AM/FM/CD/Casette, Cruise
pvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Typical Honda dealer sell up - This should cost no more than $50 at the most expensive of dealers. And they seem to send coupons out just before you are due for $39 for the whole thing.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Get an aerosol can of white lithium grease from Walmart and a flashlight.

Spray the grease lightly on all door hinges and the hood latch (under the hood). Use the flashlight to look between the wheel spokes to check the brake pad thickness.

There...you just did a more useful "B" inspection (aside from the oil change) than the Honda dealer did
2010exl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Wink Same here...

I just had the oil changed and tire rotation for 57.69... I had two coupons for the oil change I made the mistake of taking in the higher one! Of course they recommended the air filter to be changed for an additional 120!! but I'm holding off on that to see if I can find someone to do it cheaper!!!

Also my local dealer is open on Sundays and they give a bigger discount on Sundays!! (26.95 i think!) But I don't have a free Sunday in a bit...so weekday it was
Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilWho View Post
I just had the oil changed and tire rotation for 57.69... I had two coupons for the oil change I made the mistake of taking in the higher one! Of course they recommended the air filter to be changed for an additional 120!! but I'm holding off on that to see if I can find someone to do it cheaper!!!

Also my local dealer is open on Sundays and they give a bigger discount on Sundays!! (26.95 i think!) But I don't have a free Sunday in a bit...so weekday it was
Holy Cr*P! 120 for an air filter????????????? I'd bet an autozone dude would do it for nothing if you bought it from them and you don't own a long reach pillips screwdriver. If its the cabin filter you don't even need a screwdriver...
RSQ Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Im2c0oL Send a message via Yahoo to Im2c0oL

Any idea how to reset B Service 1 on the 2008 Pilot? I got it on -579 miles already, did all my inspection and good diy oil change.

RX330 AFS + TSX-R + Curve Shield | Hella Gen 3 55w | Osram CBI 5500k | Putco 2800k H11 Fog
Im2c0oL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to samc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im2c0oL View Post
Any idea how to reset B Service 1 on the 2008 Pilot? I got it on -579 miles already, did all my inspection and good diy oil change.
It's in the user manual. Goto the screen where
it shows the percentage 10%, now home that cluster button down for like 20 seconds. The number will start to blink. Release and then hold it in again for like 15 seconds. The number will reset to 100%.
samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: