Rivnut install for running boards/side steps - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to derbyboy
Default Rivnut install for running boards/side steps

I installed side steps on my 2010 Pilot today. There are various posts about the homemade tool for the rivnut installation. At first I used a wrench to tighten the bolt that was way too short and did not lubricate the bolt as was suggested on some of the posts. It made the install nearly impossible. I changed my wrench to a longer 13mm x 15mm box end wrench and sprayed a small amount of lubricant on the bolt. I changed the washer from a small washer to a large washer. When making these changes, the rivnut installed like butter. The whole job including the torquing of each bolt was under 1 hour. My local Honda dealer wanted $445 plus tax and $140 labor for a total of $585 plus tax for the black side steps. I did the job for about $362. The steps were sent in a just a few days from Hondaacuraworld.com. Thanks for the great service from them! I would not hesitate to recommend them nor concern about rent/purchase of the rivnut tool described in Honda's installation sheet.

The cost of the homemade tool was less than $3.00 and did not have to mess with the outlay of the cost and shipping of the tool, waiting for the credit when you have to mail the tool back at your own cost. The homemade tool is a no brainer...
derbyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rivnut Tool purchase / rental
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rivnut_tool.jpg (93.7 KB, 1030 views)

08 VP AWD, AVS window deflectors, Grilletech grille insert & pillar chrome plates, Tomtom GPS, Huskies All Weather Mats & cargo trays.
bigdadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default 2009 Pilot EX-L Side Steps

Thank you for all your tips. i installed my side step and as everybody knows it is the rivet nut that is the main problem. I try body repair shop and they install the rivnut for a dozen of donuts. I walk in and ask if they know how to put it. Lucky they do. 5 minutes i am out the shop for free. I got them a donut cross the street and they all happy with it. I thought this will help with all the hassles and problems. I was gonna try the poor man tool but on my way to Home Depot i run to a body shop. Hope this will help.
elsan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I did the DIY job and it did not work out as planned. I went to a local shop and for $15 the guy welded them on for me. Being that I have no reason to remove the running boards I didnt see a problem. I did pose the question of "what if..." and he said that a good hammer and chisel would do the job.
leoskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: