2010 LX - add a backup camera? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2010 LX - add a backup camera?

New Pilot owner here and wondering how to add an EX-L style backup camera w/ rearview mirror monitor to the LX?

I have read that there is an unused 6 position wire harness located behind the sunglasses holder in the headliner. This can be used to power an autodimming rearview mirror. But, I don't know what the other wires in the 6-pin harness are for... do they signal when I am in reverse, do they run to the tailgate to transmit video (probably not), etc?

Any chance there is a wireless backup camera that has a rearview mirror monitor that doesn't "clip on" if there is no wire running to the back of the vehicle...

Thanks in advance for any replies.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There are several wireless units. This is just one. They still need power though

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5NvTL0Y...ew-System.html
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default back up camera

I suggest you go down to your Honda dealer and ask to try out a EX-L with the camera.

It is kind of a neat thing, but VERY distorted.
When parking, the view in the mirror will look like you have 20 feet to the car behind you when you are 6 feet away.

That said, it does provide a view that I thought I would never use.

I have not picked up a bunch of nudists from their balloon yet, though.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

I really only wanted it to use when I was hooking up the boat trailer. It just looked like it would save a lot of time when trying to line up the hitch.

I was hoping that someone knew the pinout information for the harness that is in the headliner, then I could make a better decision on which system to purchase. I have looked at a lot of the wireless systems and I would like to find one that looks the most "factory" (no wires snaking along the windsheild, no clip-on mirrors over the OEM mirror, etc)

Thanks for the replies
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Believe it or not a vertical flexy pole on the tip of the trailer works as a great guide.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
2bz

EX-L backup camera is fantastic for hitching up. Before last weekend I had never hitched a trailer before. Thanks to the camera I did it solo (no need for yelling back and forth to the wife).

Not sure what is needed or if it is possible to add to the LX but I would keep trying to find out if I were you.
2bz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I thought that the camera would make the trailer hookup a one-man job. I'm still trying to find some documentation on the wiring for the mirror that is not used on the LX. I know there is a 6-pin harness that is used for the OEM auto dimming mirror.

this link shows how to get to the harness when replacing the regular mirror w/ an auto-dimming one

http://www.handa-accessories.com/pilot/09mirror.pdf

I just can't find any documentation on the harness, and I don't know if there are any other "unused" harnesses in the headliner for the rearview camera mirror.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm a 2010 EX owner (purchased used) and am reviving this thread to see if any new information has surfaced about adding the backup camera. The Crutchfield link in this thread has expired, but I found this article referencing a wireless system from Peak Automotive. How to Put a Backup Camera on Your Older Car - Popular Mechanics
rjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was even more bummed that I dont have a backup camera when I learned that this is now standard on ALL Pilots starting in 2013.

Does anyone have the electrical book for 2012 that can tell me the function of the wires in the 6 pin connector that is located in the headliner for connection with the auto dimming mirror.

I would really like to have a wired connection to a rear backup camera and would like to know if any of these connectors run to the back for carrying the video signal on higher trim level pilots. Planning on a monitor/mirror to display.

2012 EX 4WD

Thanks
daviddebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

I added these two to my 2011 LX:
SecurView™ by Crimestopper
SecurView™ by Crimestopper

Works great, in the cabin it looks like it's part of the car. The license place thingy is hardly noticeable, especially on my black license frame.
pilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Pilot45 how hard was it to install the Securview mirror and camera. Plug and Play? Thanks
bnbhoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Electrically, yes - plug and play.

The hard part was running the wires through the car, tapping into the reverse light, and getting power to it up front. But I had no problems with the interface.

I tested the rearview monitor a few times as I was installing it, and it worked great. When I finished everything and it was fully assembled, the monitor has slight lines that go up the display, like on old TVs. I figure it's because of how I ran the wires for both the monitor and camera down the pillar, and then ran the monitor wires back UP the pillar (because there was so much wire). So I figure that's causing interference. But the minimal lines is fine, and a lot easier to deal with than running the wires again. But if I were to do it again, I would test it one more time before finalizing everything.

But yeah, it works great and looks and acts like a factory option, for less than $200. Now that I have it in there, I could not imagine parking the car without it. Complete game changer.
pilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

pilot45: Where did you order from? The Crimestopper website is terrible! Amazon has 0 reviews..

Here are links to the installation PDFs for each device. I couldn't find the exact models that pilot45 listed, they seem to have been replaced by newer ones:

License mount camera: http://crimestopper.com/Templates/20..._ins_rev_b.pdf

Rearview mirror/LCD: http://crimestopper.com/Templates/20..._ins_rev_a.pdf

Last edited by rjackal; 12-12-2012 at 07:03 AM.
rjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Crimestopper makes like 10 different license plate mount cameras! Some have useful features like IR LEDs for nightvision, or tilt-able camera... I'm gonna have to make a spreadsheet!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Well, here's my attempt to make sense of all the different license-plate mount and rearview mirror/LCD options that Crimestopper makes, since these are the varieties talked about in this thread and the ones I care most about.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VlGaUhqLXVRT2c
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: