Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/)
-   2009-2011 Pilot (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/70-2009-2011-pilot/)
-   -   Remote starter/unlocking issues (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/70-2009-2011-pilot/23845-remote-starter-unlocking-issues.html)

YJHB 03-28-2009 12:03 AM

Remote starter/unlocking issues

Love everything about this kid mover w/toys for both adults and kids (they dont give me grief about getting in the car anymore; they love watching their little shows), but the remote starter is giving me fits. The doors will NOT unlock, no matter what I do, when I start the engine remotely. I even put the key in the door, but it my 09 pilot just won't let me unlock it until I use the engine starter fob to turn off the engine. Dangitall!! Oh, I should probably add that it was installed by the certified Honda technicians at the dealership before taking our new Pilot home last weekend. They told my husband it is a safety thing with Honda so you don't end up with someone running off with your car, but come on, it makes no sense to disable manual unlocking as well!! Is there any way to weasel around this??

hondas 03-29-2009 08:51 PM

unfortunately that is the way the OEM remote starter works. you have to turn the engine off with the remote starter fob, and then unlock the doors with the key fob remote and restart the car when you get inside. Toyota's OEM remote starter works the same way.

YJHB 03-29-2009 09:26 PM

AAAwww, such a shame. Oh well. Thank you so much for answering my question, I was starting to worry :)

bdac2k 03-30-2009 03:02 PM

Re: Remote starter/unlocking issues

Quote:

Originally posted by YJHB
I even put the key in the door, but it my 09 pilot just won't let me unlock it until I use the engine starter fob to turn off the engine.
You should be able to unlock the door with the key on the driver side when the Pilot is started with the Honda car starter. And as mentioned above, you will not be able to unlock the door with the keyfob.

YJHB 03-30-2009 05:21 PM

Re: Re: Remote starter/unlocking issues

Quote:

Originally posted by bdac2k

You should be able to unlock the door with the key on the driver side when the Pilot is started with the Honda car starter. And as mentioned above, you will not be able to unlock the door with the keyfob.

Uhm, I'm ohsostupid. The husband just demonstrated how to unlock it with the engine running (it shuts itself down, but it also really does unlock). I think, after so long with Acura/Honda and never unlocking a car door manually since the early 2000's, that I had actually forgotten how to manually unlock a car door. That is so sad, I am so embarrassed. Thank you so much for your answer, if it wasn't for you the husband would have thought all was well and I'd still be swearing at my new Pilot :rolleyes:

bdac2k 03-30-2009 05:28 PM

I have the Honda OEM car starter and it was installed at the dealer.

When you unlock the door manually with the key, after the car was started with the car starter, the engine will shut off.

Did you test unlocking the door manually while the engine was off? Perhaps the door lock is defective?

Odd that it won't let you unlock the car. I thought the door locking mechanism was mechanical.

YJHB 03-30-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bdac2k
I have the Honda OEM car starter and it was installed at the dealer.

When you unlock the door manually with the key, after the car was started with the car starter, the engine will shut off.

Did you test unlocking the door manually while the engine was off? Perhaps the door lock is defective?

Odd that it won't let you unlock the car. I thought the door locking mechanism was mechanical.

Lol, I was editing my previous post right when you were replying. Check it above, I totally changed it because the husband came home right after I submitted the unedited post, and when I told him what you said, he said, "you forgot how to unlock a car, didn't you." :jump3:

starbai 04-01-2009 02:31 PM

thats the dumbest **** I've ever heard. (not your error, the way the system works)

I was considering getting the remote start when i picked up my pilot, but if you've got to shut it off just to get into it, thats just retarded.

I get the safety feature of it, but it just doesn't make sense to have this system to me then, you'd have to start and stop and start the thing again everytime u use it... seem like worthless wear on the starter and motor to me?

I'd rather go with an aftermarket viper alarm which it seems that thats the route i'll be taking.

YJHB 04-01-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by starbai
thats the dumbest **** I've ever heard. (not your error, the way the system works)

I was considering getting the remote start when i picked up my pilot, but if you've got to shut it off just to get into it, thats just retarded.

I get the safety feature of it, but it just doesn't make sense to have this system to me then, you'd have to start and stop and start the thing again everytime u use it... seem like worthless wear on the starter and motor to me?

I'd rather go with an aftermarket viper alarm which it seems that thats the route i'll be taking.

There's something about the Pilot that makes it wiser to put the Honda starter in though; I don't remember what, but maybe someone else who knows more can help...I remember the garage guy saying that, maybe its a warranty thing? The thing warms up nice and quick before i have to walk my lazy bunz into the garage...i like the starter overall.

floatsum 04-01-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by YJHB

There's something about the Pilot that makes it wiser to put the Honda starter in though; I don't remember what, but maybe someone else who knows more can help...I remember the garage guy saying that, maybe its a warranty thing? The thing warms up nice and quick before i have to walk my lazy bunz into the garage...i like the starter overall.

the temp auto goes to 67.you dont have to leave temp controls on when you leave vehicle.its a double start though.

R6Pilot 04-02-2009 07:04 PM

I was thinking Honda starter vs. aftermarket and this is the nail in the coffin for Honda. Does anyone know what issues if any exist on aftermarket starters with an '09 Pilot? Sounds like this is something built into the brain of the starter, not the vehicle.

Should I be worried about the warranty by going aftermarket?

floatsum 04-02-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by R6Pilot
I was thinking Honda starter vs. aftermarket and this is the nail in the coffin for Honda. Does anyone know what issues if any exist on aftermarket starters with an '09 Pilot? Sounds like this is something built into the brain of the starter, not the vehicle.

Should I be worried about the warranty by going aftermarket?

if it is done correctly,an after market alarm can do no damage to the vehicle.therefor you can not void the warranty.

R6Pilot 04-02-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by floatsum

if it is done correctly,an after market alarm can do no damage to the vehicle.therefor you can not void the warranty.

I agree, I'm going for the aftermarket.
No need to get annoyed by adding another step when its really cold out or when its really hot. I'm always carrying fifty things to the car and never have a free hand to shut off, key in, then restart the car . . . . I would explode the first time I drop my drycleaning or my laptop on the ground.

N_Jay 04-02-2009 09:27 PM

I am really confused.

Aftermarket method:

1) Remote start car
2) Open door with key or remote
3) Insert key
4) Turn key 2 clicks to on
5) Drive away

Honda Method:

1) Remote start car
3) Insert key
4) turn key 2 1/2 clicks to start
5) Drive away

WTF is the big deal, no extra hands, no extra steps (besides turning the key a few extra degrees)

R6Pilot 04-02-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by N_Jay
I am really confused.

Aftermarket method:

1) Remote start car
3) Insert key
4) Turn key 2 clicks to on
5) Drive away

Honda Method:

1) Remote start car
2) Open door with key
or shut car off with remote and use keyless entry
3) Insert key
4) turn key 2 1/2 clicks to start
5) Drive away

WTF is the big deal, no extra hands, no extra steps (besides turning the key a few extra degrees)

I changed your Honda Method slightly

As I understand it and I have neither so I'm just going from what I've read in this thread.
If you have a Honda starter, you cannot open the door unless you key in manually which requires an extra hand when you get to the car or by shutting the car off and using the keyless entry.
If you have an aftermarket starter, it sounds like the keyless entry will work without having to shut the car off which will be much more convenient.

If I'm wrong, please let me know because that was the purpose of this thread . . . to better understand how it works before people waste hundreds on something that doesn't work the way they want it?

Perhaps I'm wrong