Remote Start - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rsbell
Default Remote Start

I just had the remote start installed on my 2009 Pilot w/Touring, and have run across what appears to be a completely stupid issue:

I can start the engine with the remote fine (VERY handy in 100+ degree heat here), but I cannot unlock the doors while the engine is running! So, if I want to actually get in the car, I HAVE TO TURN OFF THE ENGINE, then unlock the doors!

What's the point?!

Am I missing something, or did I just waste $1,000 on a completely useless item??!!
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Getting my Pilot license

Default redundancy?

Can you bypass it with the key to open the door?

Maybe this is a second layer of safety to prevent someone from stealing the vehicle while it is running cause I'm sure there is a primary safety feature that has to deal with the lack of a key in the ignition.
MK23666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rsbell
Default Re: redundancy?

Quote:
Originally posted by MK23666
Can you bypass it with the key to open the door?

Maybe this is a second layer of safety to prevent someone from stealing the vehicle while it is running cause I'm sure there is a primary safety feature that has to deal with the lack of a key in the ignition.
The remote will not unlock the doors while the engine is running. Manually unlocking the doors with the key turns the engine off.

The engine cannot be started unless the doors are locked, so there is no danger of someone stealing the vehicle. The only thing I can think of is that if the doors could be unlocked while the engine is running, then the vehicle could conceivably be driven without the ignition key since the car would be running already.

It really seems to defeat the purpose of the remote start function...

Old 06-18-2008, 05:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Medic721 Send a message via AIM to Medic721 Send a message via Yahoo to Medic721

Bring it back to the installer. They will have to look up the specific application and provide a 'work around' that allows you to unlock the doors after a start. it may require a new remote instead of using the one on the key.

-Mike.
2006 EX-L Nav, Billet Silver, Honda Hitch, ATF Cooler, PS Cooler, Honda Towing Harness, Honda Rear Mud Flaps, Catch-All 5 Piece Set, Rear Sub-Frame Kit, Honda Cross Bars, Spare Cup Holder, Factory Service Manuals, ScanGauge II, Softride Pull Pin Bike Rack, Poorman mp3 input, G-Net Navi Video adapter, AirLift 1000 kit.
Medic721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: Remote Start

Quote:
Originally posted by rsbell
What's the point?!

Am I missing something, or did I just waste $1,000 on a completely useless item??!!
That's why, what I really want is Remote Control. That way, I can completely avoid ever getting in the car at all.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I just had the remote start installed on my 2009 Pilot w/Touring, and have run across what appears to be a completely stupid issue:
. . .
Let me guess.

It is an aftermarket remote start (because I don't believe Honda sells on), as such it is completely up to the installer as to how well or how poorly it works.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Honda dealers do sell one but I am not sure what brand the hardware is; not Honda I am sure.

But, for $1000 they owe you a fully functioning system!!

I recall the 2007 Toyota factory installed remote starts forced you to turn off the car and restart it in order to drive it. Really stupid design but it some how made it to market.

In our T&C the remote start works just as it should. When you remote start the doors all lock but you can unlock them from the key fob. When you are ready to go you just put the key fob in the receiver and go. The DVD system even starts playing when you remote start so the kids can watch whatever they are watching before you are all in and the key is in the receiver.
deparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

it depends on the brand and its capabilities. I installed a compustar on my 6-speed manual evo and you can do either remote start or turbo timer or both. with the turbo timer, you actually have to lock the doors using the remote and with just the remote start, it locks it for you automatically as soon as you close the door. so, it is probably an install issue.
2006 evolution IX MR(RIP)
2009 black raven escalade hybrid
2011 sumatra black range rover sport hse lux
2013 santorini black range rover sport hse lux

http://www.doctorownedcars.com/
sblvro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by deparson
Honda dealers do sell one but I am not sure what brand the hardware is; not Honda I am sure.
I don't care if dealers sell it.

If it is aftermarket, then it is aftermarket.
$1000 is ridiculous.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Honda does sell an OEM remote start system, part number 08E92-SZA-100. College Hills Honda has it on their website.

According to their FAQ, the Honda system shuts off the engine when the doors are unlocked. This is for "additional security and safety" .

see the links below:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hon...ccessories.htm

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...testartfaq.pdf
*Moonroof Visor* *Roof Rack Crossbars* *Aftermarket DVD Player & Headrest Monitor System* *Generic All-Weather Floor Mats* *Center Console Cup Holders* *Full Size Spare* *Weathertech Cargo Liner* *Rear Splash Guards*
NJGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by NJGuy
Honda does sell an OEM remote start system, part number 08E92-SZA-100. College Hills Honda has it on their website.

According to their FAQ, the Honda system shuts off the engine when the doors are unlocked. This is for "additional security and safety" .

see the links below:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hon...ccessories.htm

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...testartfaq.pdf
Interesting.

Most systems shut off the engine if you attempt to put them in gear without the key in the ignition.

Seems like a poorly thought out solution.

Wonder if it was rushed to market.

Tim, Thoughts??
Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

I can start the engine with the remote fine (VERY handy in 100+ degree heat here), but I cannot unlock the doors while the engine is running! So, if I want to actually get in the car, I HAVE TO TURN OFF THE ENGINE, then unlock the doors!

What's the point?!

That doesnt make sense that you can not unlock the doors. I have a viper alarm with remote start and I can start the car whether or not the doors are locked of unlocked and I can unlock or lock the doors while is is running in remote start mode. That is weird that yours is like that.
2007 Honda Pilot LX, Billet Silver (metalic), Tinted windows, rear splash gaurds, roof rack/cross bars, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector, pioneer stereo with Ipod cable in glove compartment-AVI midrange front speakers with 2 inch tweeters and JL coaxial speakers in the rear-JL 2 channel amp and a JL 4 channel crossover amp-12 inch JL subwofer, crago tray, cargo net, Tralier Hitch, viper alarm with two way remote and remote start, Light sensored auto on & off headlights with auto on when windshield wipers are used.

2007 Honda Pilot, LX, 2WD
2001 Hyundai Elantra
1998 Honda Civic, Hatchback
lizzy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Oh and my whole system.... Alarm system with remote start only cost $600
2007 Honda Pilot LX, Billet Silver (metalic), Tinted windows, rear splash gaurds, roof rack/cross bars, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector, pioneer stereo with Ipod cable in glove compartment-AVI midrange front speakers with 2 inch tweeters and JL coaxial speakers in the rear-JL 2 channel amp and a JL 4 channel crossover amp-12 inch JL subwofer, crago tray, cargo net, Tralier Hitch, viper alarm with two way remote and remote start, Light sensored auto on & off headlights with auto on when windshield wipers are used.

2007 Honda Pilot, LX, 2WD
2001 Hyundai Elantra
1998 Honda Civic, Hatchback
lizzy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

I checked into remote start when I bought the Pilot. The salesperson explained that the Honda remote start does what you describe, turns off engine when you try to get into the car. For that reason this dealer was installing Audiovox remote start for about $500 to $600. They quoted me a price of $800 installed for the Honda system.

I wouldn't say that what you have is a total loss, it still allows you to cool off or warm up the car before you get into it, its just a pain in the .... to start the car again.
waahuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Re: Re: redundancy?

Quote:

The remote will not unlock the doors while the engine is running. Manually unlocking the doors with the key turns the engine off.

The engine cannot be started unless the doors are locked, so there is no danger of someone stealing the vehicle. The only thing I can think of is that if the doors could be unlocked while the engine is running, then the vehicle could conceivably be driven without the ignition key since the car would be running already.

It really seems to defeat the purpose of the remote start function...

Does your remote look like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remote_start_fob.jpg (36.4 KB, 1209 views)

OEM Running Boards, Window Visors & Other Misc. Accessories
Kenwood DDX7015 (Double-DIN Unit), KNA-DV4100 (Nav Unit), Directed 9" Overhead DVD/Monitor, Autopage RS-855LCD, AutoIntelligence BlueConnect (Handsfree Bluetooth Car Kit)
ED27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: