Pic of plugs from 2009 Pilot - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pic of plugs from 2009 Pilot

I have attached a photo of the plugs that I removed from my 2009 Pilot EX-L today.

They have 40k miles on them and 158k on the vehicle.

Notice how fouled plugs 1 and 2 are. I had to take out #1 due to a misfire.

#1 Looks absolutely terrible. It was wet with oil and was grimy.

I took out my plugs from my 2002 Toyota Echo with 268k miles not long ago, and they looked as I would expect - just regular wear. Far and away better than the Pilot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_162035-600x1067.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	104162  

Last edited by PilotError; 03-19-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Change wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:47 AM

Garage
I've seen worse: Name That Engine Noise (Video)

There seems to be mounting anecdotal evidence that plugs have a tendency to back out in Pilots, and that re-torquing plugs to spec should maybe be a maintenance item.

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(green);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:49 PM

any excessive oil consumption? Do you have the VCM Muzzler installed?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

I did have excessive oil consumption (4 oz per week), but I installed the Muzzler in the last 5-6 days. I will check the oil level in a few more days.

Muzzler is working well. The ECO light has flashed just once two days ago.

The Pilot is my wife's vehicle. She told me today that it has more pick up now than it did before I put the Muzzler on and changed the spark plugs. I have recently changed the air filter and oil too. Basic stuff.

Last edited by PilotError; 03-20-2017 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Add more to the reply
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 PM

The Muzzler will likely fix the plug fouling. It may take a while before the oil consumption lessens, if it lessens at all. The oil consumption is probably due to dirty piston rings. One thing to note, is that many of these vehicles are under extended warranty for this issue. It's 8 years and unlimited mileage but you have to go in with a misfire code stored on cylinders 1, 2, 3, or 4. They will change the plugs and do a PCM software update and if it happens again they will replace the piston rings.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:28 AM

These are my original plugs changed out this past Sunday. Had 101,526 miles on them. What a pain getting to those rear plugs. I was able to torque all but #6. Also changed out my VTM-4 rear diff fluid. Another pain removing those 2 bolts even with a breaker bar, which is odd because I torqued those myself the last time. Now to bring it in for new timing belt and full brake job with new rotors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01681 - Copy_tn2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	107457  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: