05 Pilot lifted on 31s - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 05 Pilot lifted on 31s

Here is a few pics of my pilot. Just put on a Ready Lift lift kit 2" and General AT2 Grabbers 235/85/16 E load. Meyer Home Plow. I will install in a few weeks. I do have a Comptech supercharger laying around from my acura TL that will go on at the end of winter.Wife wanted a pearl 2011 touring so i inherited this. I can never leave anything alone. Little about me.I've been a honda certified tech for about 11 years. Last car was a 01crv with 31" tires and a 2 1/2" lift(no motor mods complete turd, but looked cool), a few civics ranging from stock x-cross to 00 hatch vortech supercharger with custom cog belt drive at 19psi at 12:1 compression making 535whp.
Attached Thumbnails
05 Pilot lifted on 31s-dsc_0057.jpg   05 Pilot lifted on 31s-dsc_0058.jpg   05 Pilot lifted on 31s-dsc_0060.jpg   05 Pilot lifted on 31s-dsc_0059.jpg  
vadersi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

That is just fantastically cool. I think if you are serious about adding a snail or a kompressor, you'll quickly develop a very attentive following on the forum. There's been quite a bit of sad conversation around here recently about the lack of go-faster bits available for the Pilots.

Be very nice to have an actual certified Honda tech around as well. Welcome
theirishscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

With theE load tires. They weight in at a 49lbs apiece making the pilot a little slower And not stop as fast. Haven't decided on the brakes yet. I'm looking into different calipers that may be close enough to modify. I highly recommend the lift kit. It is a little pricey but it took factory spec alignment just as Ready Lift said Good color directions. Some minor things aren't included in the directions. I'll have more pics when I put the PLOW on. Even only being AWD should make a great little plow vehicle with the tires. Tranmission will hold up great added 2010 Crv tranny filter with 2011 touring cooler.87,000 miles on her.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Bit off topic, but what camera did you take the pics with? The color/clarity is great!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nikkon D90
Old 10-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
xGS

On what basis did you choose the General Grabber AT2 tires?
xGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Those Generals are well liked in the Land Rover crowd as excellent AT tires.
Hats off to you from me as I work on a chassis up rebuild of my truck

Last edited by Rocky; 10-09-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
xGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post

Those Generals are well liked in the Land Rover crowd as excellent AT tires.
Yet those Generals received a last place rating from Consumer Reports relative to 13 other tires.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

I must be missing the bad reviews. Tirerack.com reviews seem to be the closest in real customer reviews on tires as the same as the customers i deal with. Everyone I know who as kumo , bf goodrige, Goodyears have all switched to the grabbers. I swapped the 05 pilot tires out for them at 15,000 miles put 245/70/16 on. And just took them off at 89,000 miles and still have 1/2 tread. Had them on the crv. For the money by far the best tire. I live in Ohio and they are assume in the snow and slush. The only down side is if you do not rotate and rotate them every 10,000 miles they will get choppy and not last. They are a little noisy but not bad, but what you expect from a knobby tire. This is all my experience and opinion.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
xGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadersi View Post

I must be missing the bad reviews. Tirerack.com reviews seem to be the closest in real customer reviews on tires as the same as the customers i deal with.
Currently #7 in the Tire Rack customer opinion survey.
Consumer Survey Results By Category

Dead last in the Consumer Reports 2008 tests (posted on landroverworld.org):
Attached Thumbnails
05 Pilot lifted on 31s-cr_at-tires_2008.jpg  
Old 10-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Your consumer report survey is from 2008 first year they were really introduced. Like any company they make changes and updates. I know back then they had a huge problem with balancing them and keeping them balanced. I Never said they were the best for everyone and like I said like the survey says Noisy was one of the complaints and cornering. I don't think I'm looking for a well cornering tire in the size 235/85/16 weighing in at 51lbs. each even though if I put the 80psi of air in them they would be hard as a rock. I'm not here for a pissing match over whats the best or worse. Just what works best for my specific needs.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
xGS

Quote:

Your consumer report survey is from 2008 first year they were really introduced.
Tire Rack customer reviews for the Grabber AT2 go back as far as early 2006.

Quote:

I know back then they had a huge problem with balancing them and keeping them balanced.
Balancing problems are a result of either poor quality control by the tire manufacturer or inadequate equipment and/or operator error on the installation end.
A (properly used) Hunter GSP9700 takes all the guesswork out of optimally mounting and balancing a tire/wheel assembly.
If the resultant road force is still too high, then there is a lack of uniformity in the tire (or wheel) due to insufficently tight quality control limits during production.
Tire traction is largely a function of tread pattern and compound, not balance.

Quote:

I don't think I'm looking for a well cornering tire in the size 235/85/16 weighing in at 51lbs. Just what works best for my specific needs.
So, why do you want such big, heavy tires on a Pilot?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGS View Post
Tire Rack customer reviews for the Grabber AT2 go back as far as early 2006.

Balancing problems are a result of either poor quality control by the tire manufacturer or inadequate equipment and/or operator error on the installation end.
A (properly used) Hunter GSP9700 takes all the guesswork out of optimally mounting and balancing a tire/wheel assembly.
If the resultant road force is still too high, then there is a lack of uniformity in the tire (or wheel) due to insufficently tight quality control limits during production.
Tire traction is largely a function of tread pattern and compound, not balance.

So, why do you want such big, heavy tires on a Pilot?
XGS, before anyone buys tires they should consult with you. You seem to be the tire expert. He's done something different with his Pilot. Instead of giving the guy a hard time, how 'bout a .

Back on topic. Vadersi, how do you find the ride with the E load tires? I have E loads (Toyo Open Country AT) on my Tundra, and the ride is a bit punishing. I'd like to stay with the E load rating because they are good for towing, but maybe another brand is in order.

Looking forward to pics (and maybe a video ) of your Pilot with the plow!
dustino8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'm no tire expert but what I can tell you is I had grabber 245/70/16 on before and now have e load 235/85/16. Between the 245 and 235 the 235 has less road noise and goes through the standing water alot better. Sure it's do to the smaller contact area. This is my first E load tire and when I first put them on I had 60psi and the were brutal. Now I am running 36psi and they seem normal. I may drop them down to 30psi this week. With the thicker sidewall I think they will be fine. You can also feel the thicker sidewall in cornering and that they do not role. I did have these tires on for a week before I put the lift on and the rubbed a little past 1 turn on the steering wheel. You could get away with just pulling the front splashield forward if one did not want the lift but wanted the bigger tire.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm still undecided on the lower trim....I've got a silver Pilot myself and can't decide if I like it or not. Interesting on the good review from the lift kit, everything seems like good quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: