Timing Belt on 2005 Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Timing Belt on 2005 Honda Pilot

Hello,
I dropped my 05 Pilot EXL today at Local Honda dealer for wheel alignment. My car has 55K miles on it. Service rep is recommending to replace timing belt. I thought timing belt is due for replace around 105K miles. He said, no it is 6 Yrs or 100K miles. Dealer cost to replace timing belt is steep, around 1K. I need help from experts here. Should I go ahead and replace the belt or wait for car to hit 100K miles?
Thanks for your time!!
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Opinions vary. Honda say 7 years or 105k miles, so according to Honda yes you need a change. However, over on the Honda Ridgeline forum some have run their belts as high as 180k miles. As you probably know it is an inference engine and a belt breakage is a problem. But I have never seen a belt breakage report on this forum.

Personally, I would not have it done. I would wait. I think this belts are a lot stronger then Honda lets on. However, that's a risky position. I had mine done at 90k miles (7 years) and the belt looked in great condition - that may not mean anything.

Even if you do decide to get the belt done shop around for prices. That work can be done for a lot lower.

Last edited by 97trophy; 05-01-2013 at 11:01 AM.
97trophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Read this timing belt + water pump - 7 yrs vs. 105,000miles
......... and then place your bet.
ltp646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

Why take the chance of being stranded in the middle of nowhere when your timing belt breaks? Just get it done, whether at the $tealer or at a local mechanic's shop.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Changed my daughters timing belt, seals, water pump and so on at 83k and 8 years of age. The belt looked fine. It was an easier decision for me as I was just out the parts and the time. As others have said there are few reports of failure but I don't know that I would post if I had rolled the dice and lost.

I'd look for a trustworthy independent shop if you do decide to have someone change it. The job is not at all difficult. I'd never done a timing belt on a Pilot and took 3-4 hours.
vanduker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all. I started shopping around. One independent shop would do it for 399. They said they are going to use Honda's OEM Parts. Looks like that's the way to go.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Planning to replace 2004 timing belt this weekend. A quick question:
Do you use sealant on water pump rubber gasket?
Service manual does not say it. However, the Gates kit instruction says to apply sealant on the gasket.

Thanks in advance.
billyrusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a 2005 and just shy of 90,000 , no rush ... maybe have a look at the belt if you are a real worrier but I have done many belts and have no concerns on time... my 2002 Highlander is due maybe next year. If you are a hard driving speed demon more stresses but your mileage does not indicate that. I would wait and find a good indy when you get to 105.
1993 Mercedes 600SL

I am lost when there is no grease under my finger nails.
playstrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would get it replaced for peace of mind but $399 sounds like just the belt and no tensioner, water pump or the other items that should be replaced at the same time while everything is apart already.

To Billyrusa, I would follow the Gates instructions since you are using a Gates water pump/kit. Regardless, I don't see how adding sealant will hurt anything as long as you do not use too much and as long as the rubber seal is properly seated.
OEM nerf bars
OEM rear splash guards
2006 OEM 4wd emblem
Blacked out front and rear bumper garnish
OEM accessory rubber cargo mat
Garmin GPS
Full size spare on OEM alloy rim
Aftermarket tinted windows
OEM accessory fog light kit
OEM accessory cargo cover
Silver painted grill
Body colored door/side moldings
Acura stainless exhaust tips
KYB GR2 struts/shocks
Curt 13328 Hitch
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have replaced my 05 Pilot TIMING BELT at 104675, the belt and the new one can not tell any different. do at 105000 not sooner.
Celtickaro-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

I had the timing belt changed in our 2007 Pilot at about 98,000 miles.

We plan on keeping the Pilot until it has about 170,000 miles on it (sell it in 2014) - it has 149,000 miles on it now. It matters little whether the timing belt is replaced at 98,000 miles or 110,000 miles. We needed to do it only once so we made it as convenient as possible when we had a coupon and did not need the vehicle for a few days.

If you're only going to have to pay for a particular service once why put it off until the last minute or mile?
1975 Jeep CJ5
1975 Honda XL 350 motorcycle
TomStromie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

I have an '04 EX and am planning on getting this job done as well, mileage is right at 145,000. My driving habits are very mild and put mostly highway miles on it. My dealer here in Pensacola is going to charge $980.00 for everything.
hp2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp2004 View Post
I have an '04 EX and am planning on getting this job done as well, mileage is right at 145,000. My driving habits are very mild and put mostly highway miles on it. My dealer here in Pensacola is going to charge $980.00 for everything.
Here's another example of the durability of Honda's factory timing belts. Yeah, 7 years/105,000 miles is the recommended change interval but they'll last substantially longer than that. Years ago I changed the TB on my '98 CRV at the seven year mark but I had racked up 125,000 miles on the factory belt at that point. The belt looked almost brand new.

We bought our '05 white EX a little over two months ago and it now has 106,000 miles on the odometer. I'm gonna buy the complete Gates TB kit from RockAuto in October and I have little worry about it breaking in the meantime. I can't say I'd wait 9 years and 145,000 miles to do it but anything in the ballpark of the recommended interval isn't a big risk in my experience and I've changed a handful of TB's in my Honda's over the years.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
I would get it replaced for peace of mind but $399 sounds like just the belt and no tensioner, water pump or the other items that should be replaced at the same time while everything is apart already.

To Billyrusa, I would follow the Gates instructions since you are using a Gates water pump/kit. Regardless, I don't see how adding sealant will hurt anything as long as you do not use too much and as long as the rubber seal is properly seated.
I would not use sealant. It may interfere with proper seating of the integrated gasket. You can put a bit of vaseline on it to help it smoosh into the right place but I would not use RTV. Modern gaskets do not require additional sealant.
SeaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Agreed, no sealant. The factory didn't use any.

FWIW I used a all OEM kit I got of off Ebay for about $370. Pump, Belt, tensioner, idler, cam shaft seals(which I forgot to replace, DUH!)
microcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: