Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2005 Honda Pilot Timing Belt

69K views 55 replies 14 participants last post by  MelloStang 
#1 ·
Hey folks I am getting ready to do the timing belt on my wifes 2005 pilot it hit 80k for mileage but the years are adding up to the nervous point for me. I was curious as I plan to do the job myself if AISIN is the same as the factory parts I called the stealership for a price and was getting close to 700 beans in just parts for me to do it with the tool for the crank bolt, i sourced a crank bolt tool for 20 bucks and then found rockauto listing AISIN belt kit for a hair over 200 with water pump and all and heard they are OEM. I just want to make sure I am not getting some halfway part , with the interference motor I am trying to make sure the parts are quality. Does anyone have any thoughts on the parts? and should i do the water pump, it has never run hot or leaked? Thanks in advance for any and all advice you guys gave me good tips on the vtm a while back so i came back to see what the folks who love their Pilots think.

#48 ·
That's the dilemma I'm having right now. Our 2005 Pilot has slightly more than 90K miles, and in November we'll have had it for 7 years.

I can't decide if I should go ahead and have the timing belt changed in a couple months or wait another year.

#6 ·
I just picked up a 2006 Pilot with 140,000 miles. I don't see any evidence of the belt being done in Carfax or judging by the condition of the fasteners in that area of the motor. I don't think it's ever been taken apart. I picked up a kit on Amazon as well, including water pump for about $280 I think.

I am sure that under the right conditions, these belts can last for a very very long time. But the damage caused by a broken belt is pretty catrastrophic, so better to be safe than sorry.

#7 ·
thanks for the advice folks , I was on rock auto and one of the kits listed had the belt tensioners and waterpump from AISIN for 200 and some odd dollars i just didnt want to get some make shift parts, thanks again for the input, I had tossed the idea around for a bit about letting it go another year but the back of my mind says if i dont the engine erupts and I should have known better. Off hand I looked at the write up on the timing belt on here but no where do I see how to get the tension off of the belt itself is the bolts on the pulleys eccentric and backing off?

#9 ·
I believe I have to pull out the right side motor mount to do the job from what i can see if so I will definetly take a close look at it thanks! What did the dealer end up running you on price for the job if you dont mind me asking?

#10 ·
OEM Honda timing Belts are typically made by Gates/Unitta
OEM Tensioner bearings are Koyo
OEM Hydraulic tensioner is Aisin
OEM Water pump is Yamada

The Gates kit includes all those same exact brands of parts except the water pump. The pump in the Gates kit is made by Gates. It's a good pump with perfect fit. Also the pulley is machined stainless steel rather than black coated like Yamada. This kit is a good deal IMO and I trust it.

To relieve belt tension, all you do is unbolt the tensioner. It's only held in by two small bolts. Once they are out the old tensioner just falls off and the belt goes full slack.

BTW: Don't forget to get 2 gallons of blue Honda coolant from your local dealer. It's about $30, but it's worth it.

#17 ·
motor mount

Ok, that pretty much answers it! Great pic BTW. So the right upper MM is removed to thread the belt. So that leads me to another question. If this MM is often replaced because of wear, what about the other MM(s) that normally are not removed for MX. Seems like they would also be worn/in need of replacement. All things being equal...

#15 ·
I am not too sure I was going by the seat of my pants and what not so far the parts are on the way and this saturday weather permitting i will be doing it in the driveway. I was thinking of picking up the Chiltons manula this week for the torque specs mostly I dont have any of them for any of the bolts or which ones will need the loctite.

#16 ·
I agree that the Honda manual will likely be more informative than a third party manual.
I just picked up a service manual for 2006/2007 at HandA.com for about $58. Should arrive today in the post.

#18 ·
It's possible, but it's not easy to inspect the others. There are 4 or 5 more down in there. The two lower trans-mounts are easy enough to see attached to the subframe if you slide under the car. But the front & rear engine mounts are quite tricky.

Again the OEM shop manual would explain everything for your specific year car. It's like 1200 pages of just that year Honda Pilots.

#23 ·
Even taking the cover off, it is going to be difficult to determine whether it was changed.

I just did my timing belt and water pump replacement in my garage. The car has 140,000 miles and I just got it.
I couldn't see any evidence of the bolts having been removed in the past and I don't have the car's history so I decided to do it. Labor is free for me, because I do the work myself, so I just paid for parts and fluids - around $300 because I elected to replace the coolant and power steering fluid at the same time.

The only thing I can find that might indicate whether work has been done is a stamp on the water pump. I'm guessing it is a date stamp. it says "05" over "11" (written like a fraction).

My car's build month is November 2005, so I am suspecting that the water pump is the original. The replacement water pump I bought had a stamp showing "12" over "06" - which could mean the water pump was manufactured in June 2012.

The belt itself looked to be in decent shape, as well as the idler pulleys and the hydraulic belt tensioner. I am installing a genuine Honda belt that says "Honda" on it. The belt I took out has no markings on it at all. Either it is a replacement belt or the Honda marks all wore off.

#25 ·
thanks i have a few questions tho, the parts i have in reference to those directions state that the water pump o ring should be replaced and the one i have has the garsket already in the right place but has no o ring or area for one, as well as the directions saying 6 1mm bolts for the water pump and mine has 5 and the 3 holes for the mount bracket. Also it shows the crank bolt and says to reassemble but doesnt give a torque rating when putting the crank bolt back on, I would hate to be putting the bolt in and break the bolt inside the crank because i went to tight.

#26 ·
The torque valve for the crank bolt is 180 lb.ft.

The OEM water pump should have a large odd-shaped rubber o-ring for a gasket (#4 below). It fits into a groove in the water pump. My instructions are specifically from the 2003 shop manual. They are 100% applicable to the 2003 & 2004 models. Anything beyond that could have minor differences, but I'm quite sure the 2005 model is no different when it comes to the pump. Here is an image from the 2005 Honda/OEM parts catalog for the Pilot.

If you have an aftermarket water pump that came with a crush-type flat gasket, then use that only and don't worry about the o-ring type gasket. Though personally I would be concerned using any water pump that wasn't identical to the OEM water pump.

#27 ·
Best internet site for for ACTUAL Honda part numbers is www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. The dealer is majestic Honda in Lincoln, RI. All my parts for my '04 Pilot was $425 shipped. Belts, pulleys, water pump, crank oil seal, everything you can think of.

#28 ·
i have the pressed rubber gasket but when they say O ring i am thinking of a small O ring like the one for the il dipstick tube, the gasket shaped like the pump is far from an O ring so if thats what the directions were driving at thats weird to me that they refer to the one on the dipstick and the one shaped as the water pump as both being O rings.

#29 ·
Also does anyone know of the torque on the crank bolt? the pats I have are an Aisin pump and hydraulic tensioner the two pulleys are Koyo and the belt is Mitsuboshi. cost was 212.00 and arrived the next day I also have a new engine mount for 26 bucks I am swapping out to save the drama, I have to run to Silko on rt 44 tomorrow and get some antifreeze and i am good to go for saturday.

#30 ·
Also does anyone know of the torque on the crank bolt?
Read the 1st sentence of my previous post. :eek:

As for the coolant, only use the blue Honda stuff.

And HondaAutomotiveParts.com is FAR from the best online Honda parts dealer. FAR FAR FAR. Hidden fees and poor service and refusal to fix something they messed up. OEMAcuraParts.com is easily the best service in the business. They always handle any issues that come up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.