2005 Pilot, low mileage - Replace Timing Belt? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2005 Pilot, low mileage - Replace Timing Belt?

Should I consider replacing the timing belt, water pump, etc. since the car will be 7 years (driving) this August (assuming the standard is 7 years or 105,000 miles)? The car has almost 70,000 miles on it.

The car see's low mileage each year. So could I go to 100,000 or is 7 years really a definitive time to replace all this stuff?

Note: It's been garaged most of the < 7 years

Thanks for your time,
Douce
Douce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

7 years or 110,000 miles means 7 years or 100,000 miles.

Not 7 years and 100,000 miles.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have an '04 with 85K on the odometer... Just this past weekend had changed the timing belt, water pump, belt tensioner, 2 cam seals, 2 v-belts, and coolant. Timing belt tension was loose and the water pump bearings made a slight clicking sound.. Your situation may vary belts may have not degraded as much since parked mostly in the garage but other things may need attention. I'd have it done if I were you- cheaper than performing repairs.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

You can argue either side of this - nobody has any hard data. I tend to think the mileage limit is probably a little more important than the time limit, but that's just my gut feeling.

My 2006 is at 60K miles and six years, so I'll hit the seven-year mark in a year or so with only 70K miles. The car is garaged, driven conservatively, and I live in a moderate climate without much industrial pollution, so I tend to think the calendar degradation should be less than average. So I'll probably fudge a year or two and replace it at 8-yrs and 80K or 9-yrs and 90K, but I doubt I'll go out to 10.5 years where I'll be at 105K. I may not have the car that long and I bet most potential buyers, if they pay any attention at all, are probably going to pay more attention to the 105K rather than the 7-yrs.

IOW, I'm going to compromise between interpreting the rule rigorously and ignoring it all-together.

BTW, there is another thread on here discussing whether it even makes any sense to replace the water pump at 105K when you do the timing belt, so I don't think worrying about this component at 70K is a huge consideration. And the water pump is going to "fail safe" and probably give warning signs before I goes. The big reason to be conservative with this maintenance is because of the fail-catastrophic nature of the timing belt.

YMMV.

- Mark

Last edited by whizmo; 04-10-2012 at 11:25 AM.
whizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think the issue is that while many people focus on the mileage limit, there is absolutely no information saying the age is not just as if not more important.

Look at what is happening in the tire industry, where we all worried about tread wear as a gauge of life, and now we are finding that tires over about 6 years old are becoming unsafe.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

I changed the Timing belt, waterpump, oil seal and drive belts last weekend, my Pilot is a 2003 with 105000 on it, the old timing belt and waterpump was in good condition not cracks at all. As someone said there in no guarantee you run the risk.

One good point of changing early is some of the components won't be rusted on as bad if you change now compared to another few years.

If you do change go with the honda (gates) timing belt, do not use a cheap belt.
Edd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Its a good practice to change the timing belt, water pump, belt tensioner, 2 idlers, crank and cam seals at the 105k mile interval. All these components are critical to prevent engine damage should a belt or water pump malfunction occur. After seeing several timing belts with little wear up to 140k miles it does NOT preclude that all the other components are in good working order. The water pump could leak or seize and cause the timing belt to fail. The Honda 3.5L is an interference engine; the valves will hit the pistons during belt breakage. It's worth the cost and peace of mind. I would not go over 120k miles on any timing belt ever. Honda recomends this service at 105k miles for "normal" service. It's not worth the risk of a complete engine replacement for the $800-900 procedure.
1mdmadv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mdmadv1 View Post
The water pump could leak or seize and cause the timing belt to fail.
I've never ever heard of this happening.

- Mark
whizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizmo View Post
I've never ever heard of this happening.

- Mark
That exact sequence of events happened to a co-worker's 4 cyl 16V Prelude a number of years ago. It resulted in a rather expensive valve job in addition to the timing belt and water pump replacement.
2007 FourWinns 190 Horizon Red on White - 4.3L 190HP Volvo-Penta GL/SX - Options: Bow & Cockpit covers, Bimini Top, SunSport Seating, Flip-up Bolsters, Depth Sounder, Upgraded Steering Wheel.
mgbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default If you are interested..

I was going to do the timing belt / water pump maintenance on my 03 pilot, but never had the chance. Wife wanted a newer SUV so we traded it on a new one.

I still have all the parts sitting in my garage. I have a post in the classifieds if any wants to save a few bucks for the parts required.

Timing Belt (J35A4) and lot 03-06?
meijee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: