"P0746 - Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A Stuck Off". - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default "P0746 - Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A Stuck Off".

I got this code from Autozone for my 2006 Honda Pilot after I got a Check Engine Light and the blinking D. My engine performance is really bad especially I get shuddering alot especially in the first and second gear. What do I need to do? I did changed the transmission oil at 30,000 miles and a few days ago after I noticed bad performance on my transmission.
Is my transmission toast and need to replace with a new one?
tuanngnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here is what I got from the web when I googled for more info about this code for Honda:

P0746 - Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A Stuck Off

Symptoms:
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Transmission shift shock

Possible causes:
- Faulty line pressure solenoid valve
- Line pressure solenoid valve harness or connectors
- Line pressure solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid

Tech notes:
When the a transmission solenoid is stuck off, in most cases the problem is not the electrical part of the solenoid; the problem is foreign material obstructing the mechanical function of the solenoid or the flow of the fluid through the transmission valve body. If the transmission fluid is very dirty, it is recommend changing the transmission fluid and if possible removing the transmission pan for further diagnosis. Excessive debris or metal particles on the transmission pan could be an indication that there is a transmission mechanical failure and that the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

When is the code detected?
The gear required by the Engine Control Module (ECM) does not match the actual gear when driving

P0746 HONDA Description:
The line pressure solenoid valve regulates the oil pump discharge pressure to suit the driving condition in response to a signal sent from the Transmission Control Module (TCM).
Old 08-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

What to do next? Please let me know. Maybe I need to do 2X drain and fill transmission oil to see whether it helps or not. Call the Honda dealer tech to see what they say about this code. Call HOA for a possible new transmission replacement for a good will.

Since I got code from Autozone, I wonder do I need to visit Honda dealer for $100 fee to detect code?
Old 08-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

A 2006 with 44k? Bring it to Honda for diagnosis and ask for full reimbursement. Since you bought it new, they will likely cover it under goodwill as long as you can show that the tranny fluid was changed at the intervals required. The fee will be covered if any work is done.
jl_ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

The actual miles on my car is 43,502 miles. The dealer that I bought from told me that I have to pay $100 to do diagnostic through computer. I never bring to the dealer for changing oil because I did it by myself. I changed transmission oil at 30,000 miles and at a couple days ago. I bought 1995 Honda Accord V6 as a brand new and done all oil change by myself and it is still running well at 145,000 miles. This is really bad.
The reason I want to do it by myself is because I don't want to wait for an hour for an oil change.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanngnt View Post
The actual miles on my car is 43,502 miles. The dealer that I bought from told me that I have to pay $100 to do diagnostic through computer. I never bring to the dealer for changing oil because I did it by myself. I changed transmission oil at 30,000 miles and at a couple days ago. I bought 1995 Honda Accord V6 as a brand new and done all oil change by myself and it is still running well at 145,000 miles. This is really bad.
The reason I want to do it by myself is because I don't want to wait for an hour for an oil change.
The first tranny fluid change is due at 45K miles/3yrs whichever comes first. Was your 30K change done before 3 yrs? It doesn't have to be done at a dealer. Receipts for the fluid are helpful to prove it was done. I'd pay the $100 fee, let them diagnose, then request that Honda pay the whole thing because the mileage is so low. Nobody expects a tranny to fail in 43K miles. Honda has been very good about goodwilling issues that are not known problems. 2006 tranny failures are not known problems. That $100 upfront may save you $4K. Well worth it in my opinion. Even if the 30K change was after 3 yrs, I'd still go that route. Good Luck with it.
jl_ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl_ss View Post
The first tranny fluid change is due at 45K miles/3yrs whichever comes first. Was your 30K change done before 3 yrs? It doesn't have to be done at a dealer. Receipts for the fluid are helpful to prove it was done. I'd pay the $100 fee, let them diagnose, then request that Honda pay the whole thing because the mileage is so low. Nobody expects a tranny to fail in 43K miles. Honda has been very good about goodwilling issues that are not known problems. 2006 tranny failures are not known problems. That $100 upfront may save you $4K. Well worth it in my opinion. Even if the 30K change was after 3 yrs, I'd still go that route. Good Luck with it.

I think that I changed around 3 years time frame. I think I will pay $100 for the deal to do it; then ask Honda to pay for it.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Guess what! Honda Dealer will give me a new transmission with 12 months/ 12 thousands mile warranty; but I have to pay $532. Oh well, that is ok I am happy for it because I am out of warranty on bumper to bumper or powertrain. Any way, I am happy that they will replace my Honda Pilot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: