Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door

I replaced three of these actuators (2 front and 1 rear) over the weekend on a 2003 Pilot.

Expect to set aside at least 1-2 hours on the first replacement, lesser time on the ones afterwards. Be careful not to push parts in directions that they shouldn't be pushed in. Don't break any plastic parts/metal rods or connections - take your time.

1. Remove the plastic tab under the inner door latch.
2. Open the 2 small black colored screws.
3. Carefully swing the door latch attachment out by moving it down and out. Remove the rod and the electrical connection - there's a slot to press and pull-out.
4. Use a flat screw driver to carefully pry the window opening plastic area (its one piece and includes the cup holder). Remove the electrical connection - there's a slot to press and pull-out. Open the screw beneath the arm rest.
5. Use a flat tool (I used a metal putty 5-in-1 tool) to slide between the door metal and plastic areas - pull the plastic buttons/connections off, you'll hear them pop. Slide the door out.
6. Gently open the white plastic sheet about a quarter of the way from the top right down so you can reach in the actuator area (near the door latch - at the end of door with 3 screws). Open the window guardrail, if its in the way - use a 3/8 bolt.
7. Use correct amount of force, without stripping them, open the 3 screws at the door latch.
8. Take a good look at the connections inside. Open the electrical connections (two of them) on the lock actuator.
9. Gently but forcefully (without breaking any plastic or other parts), push the metal connectors back and carefully remove the door lock actuator assembly from the door.
10. Replace with new actuator and assemble in reverse.

To Yeshua be the Glory!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door-img_8463.jpg   Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door-img_8464.jpg   Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door-img_8470.jpg   Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door-img_8467.jpg   Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door-img_8468.jpg  

Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door-img_8469.jpg   Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door-img_8472.jpg   Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door-img_8473.jpg   Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door-img_8475.jpg   Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door-img_8480.jpg  

Last edited by lkb179; 07-19-2011 at 02:46 PM.
lkb179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

Thanks for the write-up and pics!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Great writeup!

It appears you replaced the right rear (passenger) side actuator.

Do you happen to know the part #?
I ask because my Wifes Pilot needs the RR actuator done and all the part #s I see are for the right front only.

Jeff
JCturboT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCturboT View Post
Great writeup!

It appears you replaced the right rear (passenger) side actuator.

Do you happen to know the part #?
I ask because my Wifes Pilot needs the RR actuator done and all the part #s I see are for the right front only.

Jeff
Just look it up on HondaPartsNow.com. This way you can either search by your vehicle specific info, or even your vin number. Sometimes they change things and part numbers could be different from one year to another

It's a very good site to look stuff up on...

Once you have part numbers, you can order parts with free shipping over on G1Parts.com. It's another Honda dealership, but their website is very hard to find parts on if you don't have the part number.
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Guys,
Just got done replacing the right rear actuator on my '04 Pilot EX. It took a little over an hour to do.
The hardest part was getting the three screws loose that hold the actuator to the door.
I used an impact driver after I tried a #3 philips head unsuccessfully.

For anyone doing the job and wanting to get an aftermarket piece Standard Ignition
DLA129 is the correct part # for the RR door. Even though it says LX model only it fits the EX just like OE. It can be had for under $30.00.

Jeff

Last edited by JCturboT; 09-14-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
Just look it up on HondaPartsNow.com. This way you can either search by your vehicle specific info, or even your vin number. Sometimes they change things and part numbers could be different from one year to another

It's a very good site to look stuff up on...

Once you have part numbers, you can order parts with free shipping over on G1Parts.com. It's another Honda dealership, but their website is very hard to find parts on if you don't have the part number.
94eg!,
Thanks for the links and the info.

I bookmarked these for future use.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just joined the forum after reading this write up. I want that Ikb179.

I just completed this replacement on the right front door. Your description and pictures were a perfect guide. Dealer wanted $330-$365 to do it. I ordered online and it came to $51 with shipping and handling.
Thanks again
Bimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Actuator replacement

I'm in the middle of my replacement, and it is a lot tougher (for me, anyway) than it seemed. Finally got the acuator out, and when I went to replace it with the new one, the brass plate mechanism on the latch separated from the latch body, and I have no idea how it goes back together (see attached photo). I have two more to replace. Can anyone help, or is it time to turn it over to the dealership and eat crow (and a bunch of money)?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Pilot replace door lock actuator rear door-actuator-parts.jpg  
Chuk Henley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks for the write up, hopefully i won't have to do it (knock on wood)

i did this on my 2002 Lexus GS300 and it was a pain on that car, glad the pilots acuators are more reasonable though, the GS300 ones where like 150 used, each i forgot how much new was.
aka paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

removing the three screws is a PITA and easily said than done. no amount of screwdriver design or shape can remove it once tightened. that is why, I just drill the head out and remove the base each time I do it.
2006 evolution IX MR(RIP)
2009 black raven escalade hybrid
2011 sumatra black range rover sport hse lux
2013 santorini black range rover sport hse lux

http://www.doctorownedcars.com/
sblvro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Figured it all out

Finally got mye two rear actuators replaced. I had to remove the left side one to make sure I put the right side one back together correctly after it fell apart during repalcement, then continued with the left side replacement. As for the three screws holding the latch to the door, after reading these posts (and nearly stripping the first screw with a #2 phillips head screwdriver), I went to Home Depot and purchased a #3 phillips bit ($4) and a Ryobi impact drill/driver ($69). I sprayed some WD 40 onto the screw heads, let it seep in for a minute, and pushed hard on the screw with the impact drill and let it do its magic. Took about 5 seconds for each screw, but they then came out easlily. Never using an impact drill before, but am now a convert. First actuator took about three hours to replace, next two about 35 minutes each. My thanks to the original poster for the pictures and tips; I would be glad to help with any insights I learned if anyone is attempting the replacement of the actuators (front and back).
Chuk Henley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Did you take a picture by chance of the put together door lock? I did the same thing on my 2003 Pilot. I had 3 locks go out (not all at once), both driver sides and the front passenger. The locking mechanism came apart on the rear driver side. Went on to the front driver side which was a piece of cake, but NOT the same parts. DO not want to take apart rear passenger as it is not broken (yet) but I do not have a replacement part at the moment. Sill keep looking for a picture or diagram. Thx!
sstrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to 03pilotONE

Just replace the actuator off of my 06 pilot. And best way to remove them 3 screws is simply heating them up with hair dryer/heat gun and unscrews very easy..
03pilotONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03pilotONE View Post
Just replace the actuator off of my 06 pilot. And best way to remove them 3 screws is simply heating them up with hair dryer/heat gun and unscrews very easy..
Hair dryer? Gotta try this... I got 2 actuators to replace.
Surfpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
..Once you have part numbers, you can order parts with free shipping over on G1Parts.com. It's another Honda dealership, but their website is very hard to find parts on if you don't have the part number.
Went to G1Parts.com and tried ordering parts..No free shipping though.
Surfpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: