Climate control button lights - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Climate control button lights

I have an '05 EXL RES and I've got 5 button lights on the climate control panel that are burnt out (fan up and down, defrost etc.). I have an Accord and you pop the face of the button off and it is servicable. I tried a small screwdriver and was afraid to pry any harder. Any help would be much apreciated.
jimhitzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

It won't pry out from the front. You need to take the center stack apart in order to gain access to the control unit. To take apart the console, go to page 5 of the linked document.

Link

Be careful when trying to pull the colored trim pieces off. They scratch and chip easily. Also it will take a good amount of elbow grease to get them off. I use plastic pry tools to make the job easier. Plastic pry tool link.

OEM Running Boards, Window Visors & Other Misc. Accessories
Kenwood DDX7015 (Double-DIN Unit), KNA-DV4100 (Nav Unit), Directed 9" Overhead DVD/Monitor, Autopage RS-855LCD, AutoIntelligence BlueConnect (Handsfree Bluetooth Car Kit)
ED27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. Looks like quite a project for a weekend day. Have you replaced the bulbs before? Any suggestions for not having the nylon pry tools?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jimhitzemann
Thanks for the help. Looks like quite a project for a weekend day. Have you replaced the bulbs before?
Taking apart the dash should take less than an hour. To gain access to the bulbs, you have take apart the control unit. Haven't had to change them out on the Pilot yet.

Quote:
Any suggestions for not having the nylon pry tools?
Long finger nails and a good grip! Start out at the top of the colored-trim piece and work your way down.

Kenwood DDX7015 (Double-DIN Unit), KNA-DV4100 (Nav Unit), Directed 9" Overhead DVD/Monitor, Autopage RS-855LCD, AutoIntelligence BlueConnect (Handsfree Bluetooth Car Kit)
Old 04-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

ED27- thanks for the help, I tried to get one of the trim pieces off and it took a little work but came off quicker than I thought it would. Once the unit is out is there a cover to remove or do you take the control unit off of the stack and the buttons stay in the face of the stack?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Take a look at these instructions:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hvac (medium).jpg (28.7 KB, 4622 views)

Old 04-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

ED27
Thanks for the help. Probably best to replace them all while I'm there. Do you think that there is anything that is causing them to burn out in 4 yrs?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
ED27
Thanks for the help. Probably best to replace them all while I'm there. Do you think that there is anything that is causing them to burn out in 4 yrs?
Do you drive mostly at night or early AM where the bulbs are ON more than the avg. user? The only other thing I can think of is a high number of ON/OFF cycles when you use the keyless entry so if you're in and out of your car frequently this could be the cause.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ED27
Do you drive mostly at night or early AM where the bulbs are ON more than the avg. user? The only other thing I can think of is a high number of ON/OFF cycles when you use the keyless entry so if you're in and out of your car frequently this could be the cause.
I don't think that we putting them through anything abnormal, not in and out of the car more than anyone else doing their daily activities. Oh well, I will get them done and see what happens. Thanks again for the help and prompt responses. This site is a great help and going to be one of my favorites for sure.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Climate Control Bulb Replacement

I just replaced all 9 bulbs on my 2005 Climate Control unit. There are 6 79670-S9V-A01 and 3 79671-S7S-941. The 79670-S9V-A01 part number is a replacement part number for the original buld. My Pilot had 4 of the 6 burned out.
Climate control button lights-bulbs.jpg
It only takes about 30 minutes. I removed the trim as others have described on this forum. Thank You Very Much!

When I removed the ashtray/lighter trim I didn't remove the connectors because you can remove the stack without doing so. I did try without any success.

Climate control button lights-ash-removed.jpg
Once the stack was removed from the center console, I separated the climate control unit from the stack by only removing the 1 screw on each side holding the unit to the stack bracket. Sorry, bad pic for this one but you'll see what I mean.

Climate control button lights-stack-removed.jpg

After I removed the unit from the stack I removed the black bezel from the front of the unit. This is not necessary. Only the gray cover on the back of the unit needs to be removed to access the bulb area. After removing the gray cover there is an outer circuit board that needs to be removed. The cable assembly stays connected to the outer board and there are no screws holding this board on. Just give it a wiggle.

Climate control button lights-rear-w-cover.jpg
Climate control button lights-rear-control-bezel-removed.jpg

Once the outer board is removed you’ll see the back of the bulbs. Remove and replace.

Climate control button lights-control-back-board-removed.jpg
breapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Funny, I have all the same bulbs out on my '08. Considering so many are out I am wondering if there is another culprit besides the bulb. Mine is cpo so I am going to have it fixed on warranty.
Pinzgauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Here is one of the original HVAC lights out threads for 03-05 Pilots.

Climate control button lights

Sorry to read that this lights out disease has continued with the facelifted versions as well.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default Climate Control bulbs out in my 05 Pilot EX-L

Seems like this is a common complaint that should be addressed by Honda as a defect. Mine have all been out for the last 2 years but have never wanted to spend the $200+ at the dealer to have them replaced. Thanks for the posts on how to do it myself. I just may give it a try.
in2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Add me to the list of folks with the bulb failure issue. My wife has a 2005 EX-L RES. We've got quite a few bulbs out on the climate control. I just joined the forum today; specifically to try and find out how to fix this. Judging by what I'm seeing on here, there's definately a ghost in the machine. With our Pilot, it's these six buttons: A/C, Mode, Off, Recirc, Rear and Front Defrost. I figured these were just a couple of bulbs illuminating a bank of switches. When the service tech told my wife that it was individual bulbs that were out, I figured either he was new and didn't know what he was talking about or he was just feeding her a line to see if she'd bite on the $300 repair estimate he gave her. I've had cars that were many, many years old that never had a bulb fail in the instrument cluster. For this many to fail, and many of them being grouped together like they are, something is wrong with the design and Honda should address it. We bought this vehicle when it was 2 years old and they've been out the entire time we've owned it. At first, I figured they just weren't supposed to be illuminated. I mean, how could six bulbs burn out in two years? I wonder how many others out there don't realize this or simply have chosen to live with it like we have? C'mon Honda, pony up and do the fix!
mailrail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to malmon

I think it is a very common issue:
*Interior illuminated controls QUESTION?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: