2005 Honda Keyless Entry not working - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2005 Honda Keyless Entry not working

My husbands key has stopped working for our keyless entry to the Honda. The key will unlock the car manually and will start the car but he does not have remote entry. My remote entry still works. We bought a battery and replaced it in his key but the small light still does not light up and the key still does not work. Is there a step to this that we are missing?
wsrivastava is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Have you looked at page 76 of the owners manual and run through the tip there?

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...505O00071A.pdf
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default reply

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

We did exactly what it said on this page of our users manual. And the key works to start the engine and drive the car. However it will not lock and unlock the car remotely. That is what we don't understand.

We placed the key in and turned it to on and back off several times. But it still does not unlock/lock the car remotely.

Any ideas?
wsrivastava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

You could always to go to the dealership and spend the $100 to get another key, but that does sound kinda weird. Was the key ever dropped in water?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Where did you get the battery? I purchased one from Wal Mart,put it in and it didn't work.I stopped by my cousins jewlery store and happened to tell him what happened while I was there.He checked the battery and found it to be dead,he replaced both of them for me and now they work just fine.Give it a try, they usually have something to check the batteries with to tell you if they are good or not.Good luck.
imdav2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

wsrivastava, curious if you ever found a solution. Had the same thing happen to me...wife's keyless fob works fine, but mine died. Key works fine manually (open door, start car, etc). I figured the battery went dead, and had battery replaced. But the mini-red led light did not light up after replacing the battery. I concede it's possible that the key just went bad, but I can't think of what would have done it. Didn't get it wet, didn't drop/smash it, etc.

Any suggestions on how to test the key itself? Any ideas on how to jump start the key?
arameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had the exact same thing happen on my 2006 Pilot. I replaced the battery, and checked the voltage on both the new and the old. The old battery voltage was low, so I expected the new battery to fix the problem. The red LED light refused to light with the new battery, so I ended up ordering a new remote from www.remotesandkeys.com for $39. When I got the new remote, pressing the lock button lights up the red LED, even without being programmed yet. The programming of the new remote took like 30 seconds following the instructions provided with the new remote.
trigeek3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by trigeek3
I had the exact same thing happen on my 2006 Pilot. I replaced the battery, and checked the voltage on both the new and the old. The old battery voltage was low, so I expected the new battery to fix the problem. The red LED light refused to light with the new battery, so I ended up ordering a new remote from www.remotesandkeys.com for $39. When I got the new remote, pressing the lock button lights up the red LED, even without being programmed yet. The programming of the new remote took like 30 seconds following the instructions provided with the new remote.
trigeek3, did you buy a regular remote, or the integrated key/remote Fob unit? I'd like to have the keyfob rather than a separate unit for key and alarm unit.

Thanks!
arameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

arameth,
I got the integrated key with remote, and swapped out fob unit. I don't think you can buy just the fob part of the key.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

One of my keys stopped lighting up and a radio shack battery hasn't made any difference. I'll go back to RS to have the battery checked. At least that key will start the car and lock it.

trigeek3
Please post programming instructions here
Old 04-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

rocky,
There are several web site that have the programming instructions, one is http://www.wikihow.com/Program-Facto...mote-Key-Fobs.

If the light doesn't light up after replacing the battery, then the remote unit is bad, and you will have to buy a new one. It's unlikely the new battery is bad, they last a long time on the shelf when not used.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I just had Radio Shack test the battery and you are right. The remote/transmitter has gone bad.

So now the hunt for new innards is on.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

I PURCHASE A USED 2004 PILOT WITHOUT REMOTE MODULES. PURCHASED 2 ONLINE AND FOLLOWED THE EASY PORGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS. NO PROBLEM.
Early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I have a 2005 and the same thing has happened to me twice. Once at about 40,000 miles and recently at about 83,000 miles.

I did just like many of you. First I replaced the battery (fun getting that screw out the first time). Then I walked over to the service counter (I bought the battery at the dealer. Was able to return it.) And they saw the new battery didn't fix it and the red light failed to light up. They installed a new module under warranty.

Guess I am good for another 40,000 miles (but warranty will be out.) Will just have to swap keys with the wife (who seldom drives it) and go for 40,000 on hers.
2005 Steel Blue Metallic EX-L with iPod P.I.E. X3 interface (keeps the cd changer!!), LED lights in doors and overhead, tow package, cargo shield, crossbars (self installed), WWongs stuff, cargo liner, extended warranty. All but the tow pkg at great saving through our sponsor hondacuraworld.
17 - 24 MPG with mileage removed for both the best and the worst atypical mileages. 183,000 miles since June 29, 2005
Sportymonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have a 2006, and both my remotes are not working!!! I tried a battery in the first one back in January just after my warranty ran out. No luck. I then started using my second one which had NEVER been used since we bought it on Dec 31, 2005, and just today it stopped working. I am going to try a battery in this one when I get home, but I'm not too optimistic. The Honda dealer said they'd look at it the last time I brought it in earlier this year, so I hope they will still look at it even though it's been a while.

Worst case, I might end up replacing one, but certainly not both.

2010 Camaro 1SS RS, LS3, 6sp Manual, Sunroof, B.A. Audio, Maggie TVS2300, ADM street intake, Kooks headers & cats, Corsa catback, Hotchkis Track Pack - 630hp

2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with NAV and Eyesight - 256hp
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: