Newby - 2005 Pilot came with home purchase in Florida - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newby - 2005 Pilot came with home purchase in Florida

I recently bought a 2005 Pilot EXL as part of a deal on a Florida home purchase. The car has just under 58K miles on it, great paint, new tires and by all accounts has been garaged, maintained and pampered by its one previous owner.

I have to get the remotes working and have already bought the batteries. I've read up on and watched videos on programming if that is necessary.

I ran the VIN on Honda's site and there are no outstanding recalls including the airbags.

Otherwise the thing looks good.

I have a large folder with all the maintenance records from the previous owner but did not have time to review it before I had to leave and head north.

Everyone I talk to tells me what a great car these things are. I'm, looking forward to getting to know it.

What else can the more seasoned owners tell me about the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Be prepared for a long relationship. Mine has 230k plus and could do many more if the kids don't kill it.....
Maintenance records should show its had its timing belt etc replaced.

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:15 PM
xGS

Besides the timing belt replacement, which was due at about 7 years (or 105K miles), check for any record of the radiator having been replaced.
Particularly in the 2005 model year, there was a propensity for the radiator to fail in such a way as to allow the coolant and the transmission fluid to mix, which, in turn, could cause the transmission to fail.
If you can't find any evidence of a radiator replacement, consider having it done soon as a preventive measure.

2003 EX

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:45 PM

Change all the fluids before you drive it.

Engine, transmission, rear differential, brakes, radiator.

That's the first thing I did when I got mine some 4 years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubea View Post
Change all the fluids before you drive it.

Engine, transmission, rear differential, brakes, radiator.

That's the first thing I did when I got mine some 4 years ago.
I'll have to check the receipts, but it's good to know what to look for. My hunch is that this car has been over-maintained. The previous owner was crazy about taking care of things. I think he may have had it detailed before he turned it over to me. I threw some mail on the hood while I was trying to do too many things at one time and the mail slid right off. Tires have dressing on them, etc. The PO is not the kind of guy to wash a car himself. Everything about the house we bought from them was pretty much in perfect shape and immaculate.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have a keeper. Congrats

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:41 AM

I bought an 05 in June with 53k miles on it. Sounds like a similar car.....1 owner with perfect maintenance.....like you said, it was probably "over-maintained".

I've added a hitch, trans cooler, and got some weather-tech floor mats. I still want step rails, but they're low on my list. They'll probably be on my Christmas list again this year.

Anyway, I just had an airbag recall on mine.....I took the car to the local Honda dealer to have a headlight adjusted, and they said it had an airbag recall. If your VIN didn't come up, I wonder if the previous owner already had it done......

As others mentioned, you'll definitely want to verify that the timing belt service was done.......if it wasn't, get it done.

I'd probably call some local Honda dealers, and see if any of them serviced the vehicle. I don't think they can give you a complete printed history for confidentiality reasons, but you could call them, give them the VIN, and if they worked on the car they could tell you if a specific service had been done. When I bought mine, there was nothing to show the TB service had been done but the dealer (Volvo) insisted it had been. They referred me to the Honda dealer where it was purchased and where it had been maintained.....I called them, and they confirmed the date/mileage that the TB service was done. Might be nice to try and figure out where the previous owner took it for maintenance.

I'm up over 70k miles on mine now....the fluids had all be done 6 months before I bought it....tires are in great shape....and with the TB service already completed, I should be relatively maintenance free for a while. I did have my rear rotors re-surfaced and new rear pads put on.....aside from that, it's been perfect. I finally even got the garage door opener to work (had to hit the "smart" button on the garage door motor) . When I got mine, only one of the remotes worked.....I put a new battery in and it still didn't work. It's my wife's key and she doesn't drive it often, so I doubt I'll even worry about it. Mine works....and I also have a 3rd (regular) spare key.

I've been getting about 19.5 MPG very consistently. You will see a noticeable drop when you drive more aggressively. Fun car to drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: