Won't Start - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By John_Clark
  • 2 Post By 6wilsons

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Won't Start

My 2005 Honda Pilot is having the problem of staying in drive even after shifting to park. The vehicle thinks it's still in drive and won't start. The shift lever moves to each selected position and it shows on the dash indicator, but when trying to start, the "D" lights up indicating that the vehicle is still in drive. Any suggestions on the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:40 PM

I'd start with the transmission range switch. It's the switch on the transmission that tells the vehicle what gear the transmission is in. Some diagnostics and troubleshooting would be necessary to 100% confirm this but that's where I'd start.

Here's a video on the very same thing on an Odyssey. They use very similar, if not the same, switches:

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Still won't start

Hey John_Clark, I tried your suggestion and replaced the transmission safety switch. The vehicle started two times and then went to doing the same thing. Could it possibly be the starter? Let me know what you might think. Thanks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 PM

It doesn't sound like the starter but then again it sounded like the transmission range switch which, apparently, it wasn't. Can you describe the problem in some more detail? You put the vehicle in Park and it appears to go into Park properly. However, when you turn the key on again the D lights up and it won't start? How do you recover from this? If you shift into Drive and back to Park are you able to start? The more detail you provide the better help you can get.

It's probably going to take a scan tool to view some live data to see what the computer is seeing when you turn on the key.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Won't Start

Hey John_Clark, when the key is in position I, the "P" light is lit. When turning the key to position II, the dash lights come on including the "D" along with the "P" and then the "D" and certain dash lights go off. The engine light, oil light, battery light, and seat belt light are still lit. The engine fan, radio and clock are also on at this time. When left in this position for approximately 30 seconds, the engine light will flash a few times and go off. As I turn the key to position III, the engine fan, radio and clock will go off and a click will sound under the drivers inside area. The dash lights remain lit, but no other sounds can be heard. It's as if no power is going to the starter at all.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 09:03 PM

OK, now we're getting somewhere. That's a great description and would have helped immensely when you first posted. The "D" light is basically the "check engine" light for the transmission so you could call it the "check transmission" light. It will flash when driving to tell you there is a transmission problem. It sounds like it's just coming on as a self test.

The flashing engine light (5 flashes) usually indicates that one or more readiness monitors is not set for the vehicle's self diagnostics. That means the computer has not done a complete drive cycle to test all the various systems. One or more system has not been checked. Does the check engine light stay on after the engine is started?

By your description it does sound like possibly a starter issue. However, it could be the starter or the wiring to the starter so you need to do some testing before just changing the starter. I would see if you can reach down to the starter with a block of wood or something to bang on it a bit and see if it will then start. It could also be dirty or corroded battery cables or the solenoid is not getting the 12 volt signal from ignition switch. Those are all things that will need to be checked.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Red face Won't Start

Hey John_Clark, No the engine light goes off after starting. I had my wife turn the key to position III and it began to do the same thing until I popped it with the block of wood. The starter turned over and the engine roared to life. I do believe I'm due for a new starter. One question though do you think I should go ahead and replace the cable? I can't thank you enough for all your input, you've been a great help. Thanks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:57 AM

Make sure your cable is clean and solid on both ends. If it is, just replace the starter. If you decide to replace the battery cable then make sure you go with the OEM replacement. I feel a bit bad that you replaced the range switch but, in my defense, I didn't suggest to replace it. I merely said to start there with the troubleshooting and diagnosis. If we had your more detailed explanation to begin with I never would have suspected the range switch in the first place. Glad we have you on the right track now, though.
mcpilot2 and Dolmangar like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Won't Start

Hey John_Clark, that's okay about the transmission range switch. I took the old one apart and the contacts were pretty much worn and indented. My baby has close to 150,000 miles and she's worth it. The more I do for her the longer she will take care of me. I ordered the OEM starter and cables today. Your replys were a great help to me and I know other Piloteers will also benefit from your knowledgeable posts. Once again, Thank You a bunch
plplplpl and mcpilot2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: