Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

A/C runs for 10 seconds, shuts off

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fox74 
#1 ·
So, this one has me stumped. The compressor will run for about 10 seconds, then disengage. If I hit the switch off, then back on, it runs for about 10 seconds again before shutting off. It doesn't cycle off/on as others I've read. I'm stumped. I can only guess maybe a pressure switch?? Any ideas?? It's balls hot here in Daytona!!

#2 ·
That's usually an indication of low refrigerant level. The low pressure switch is tripped every time the pressure drops on the low pressure side when the compressor cycles on. You need to get it serviced. They will remove the remaining refrigerant, put a vacuum on the system to check for leaks and then refill it with the proper amount. That's the only way to do it right. If you buy the cans and just "put some in" you risk either being overfilled or underfilled, regardless of whether the can has a gauge on it or not.

#3 ·
Do the radiator fans come on when the compressor engages?

If they don't, your freon pressure will shoot up very high and trip the high limit switch.

The compressor clutch will disengage to protect the system.

#4 ·
Correct. However, it may depend on the year of your vehicle (you didn't tell us) but on many of these the radiator fans don't go to high speed until the pressure in the high side hits around 220psi. So you may or may not see the radiator fans right away. If it hits the low pressure limit before the high pressure fan switch then you might not see the fans turn on.

#6 ·
It could be as simple as a worn compressor clutch relay, worn compressor clutch, or it could be low on refrigerant. There's no way to know without doing some troubleshooting on it. When it's cycling on and off is the clutch actually being commanded off (losing voltage on the clutch wire) or is it just letting go on it's own. I suspect it's being commanded off. The next thing is to determine why it's being commanded off. Is it due to low pressure? The only way to know that is to connect a gauge set to the system and see what's going on with pressures when it's cycling.

#7 ·
I had a situation like that when the system was over filled, an other possibility is that there is moisture in the system that freezes and plug the expansion value cause the system pressure build up and trip the duel switch, a AC pressure gauge would help you to find the problem. I really suspect the expansion value, which may be stuck close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.