2005 New Engine or Rebuild? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By plplplpl
  • 1 Post By Wanderer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 New Engine or Rebuild?

I have 185,000 miles on engine and do a lot of long distance driving with heavy load family of 6 and luggage's! Well motor is starting to burn oil not smoking but you can smell exhaust and every 5k mile oil change has been 2qts low so thinking of getting new engine or rebuild but not sure where to start? Dealer quoted me $8k for reman, motor or 10.5k for a new not including labor and parts. My question is where can I get a good reman, motor or new one??? I'm located in San Antonio, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:25 AM
xGS

Why have you been letting the oil level run two quarts low and could you just keep adding a quart of oil every 2.5K miles?

Have you priced any 2006-2008 Pilots in your area?
How much more would one cost, less the $8-10.5K you would otherwise have to spend on an engine replacement and whatever an auto recycler/salvage yard would offer you for your existing Pilot?

2003 EX
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator

If a dealer does the oil change, do you check oil level post service? Some only fill to minimum saving them a quart a car. More profit.
Ever replace the pcv valve? If not, a failed pcv will cause your engine to be pressurized causing oil loss.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:23 AM

Garage
Yes, try replacing the PCV valve with one from Rockauto or somewhere. For about 20 bucks, it's certainly worth a shot in your case.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...on)+valve,5052
97trophy likes this.

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(green);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:09 AM

Low-viscosity oils may leak more rapidly in high-mileage engines. You're safe from winter's worst, so you could step up in viscosity. You could also try "high-mileage" oil, which has "seal conditioners" to condition rubber seals and potentially reduce leakage from that source. Compression check could tell you if there is severe internal engine wear.

I wouldn't do engine rebuild/replacement just for moderate oil consumption. Only if there is noticeable performance loss and driveability problems. Those dealer quotes are sky-high. Third option is to find a used engine out of a wreck and have an independent shop put it in. But only when yours really gets sick. Just my $0.02.
SA-TechBoy likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

I bought for mom so with work and being busy I get to check it maybe once 3-4weeks and do fill oil as needed!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post
Yes, try replacing the PCV valve with one from Rockauto or somewhere. For about 20 bucks, it's certainly worth a shot in your case.
will try thanks
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
If a dealer does the oil change, do you check oil level post service? Some only fill to minimum saving them a quart a car. More profit.
Ever replace the pcv valve? If not, a failed pcv will cause your engine to be pressurized causing oil loss.
I do the oil changes and use Mobile1 FullSync 5-30
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

That's good news. I would get a PCV valve. Make sure the tubing it connects to is clear and clean as well.

Not crucial, but consider cleaning the EGR ports in the head of the engine. If your car does alot of short trips, carbon can build up. Mine was pretty clean at 150k, but then most of my trips were 40-50 miles. In this video, he says corrosion, when he means carbon.

These two things are easy to do and will cost under $40 in parts. $13 for the PCV valve about $24 for the replacement manifold cover gasket part number 17146-RCA-A01

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA-TechBoy View Post
use Mobile1 FullSync 5-30
Perhaps try Castrol for a while as well (as the other great tips above).

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Compression check could tell you if there is severe internal engine wear.
this

i wouldnt consider replacing the engine unless the compression check shows something is terribly wrong AND a leakdown determines its not easily fixable with new valve stem seals or some other non rotating assembly part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: