power steering belt adjustment tips required. - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
power steering belt adjustment tips required.

My '04 power steering belt is slipping sometimes, making a noise and jerky steering. I want to adjust it and have the user manual but am having a hell of a time getting at the mounting nut underneath the pump. The engine mount makes access for a socket and ratchet seem impossible. Has anyone adjusted the belt and have any tips they could share. It would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:32 AM
KKL

The serpentine belt runs the steering pump, alternator, AC compressor, etc. It is self-adjusted with a tensioner pulley. Your problem could be due to a tired belt, a bad tensioner, or both. I have an '06 but I believe your '04 is the same - the steering pump is not adjustable.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately the 04 model has a separate belt for the power steering pump and it is adjusted with a nut provided you can magically undo the other nut underneath the pulley wheel.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:16 PM
xGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffker View Post
My '04 power steering belt is slipping sometimes, making a noise and jerky steering.
How long has it been (in time and miles) since the belts (including the timing belt) were last replaced?

2003 EX
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:21 PM

If the passenger side motor mount on the 2004 is the same as the 2005 you might be able to do this:
1) Place jack under the oil pan. Use a 2x4 or 2x6. Raise the jack until the wood block contacts the bottom of the oil pan. On my 2005 the engine shouldn't move (based on what I've read) when the passenger side motor mount was removed but I put the jack there just in case.
2) Remove the large bolt which goes between the engine mount bracket (silver) and motor mount (black).
3) Remove the two bolts on the engine mount bracket (silver).
4) At this point you should be able to remove the engine mount bracket.

Hopefully this would give you access to that adjustment bolt you're trying to get to.

Good Luck,
Steve

2005 Honda Pilot LX
- Aftermarket window tint, Kenwood stereo

2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Longbed 4x4 Limited
- Aftermarket bed lights, In-cab AC power outlet, Auxiliary reverse lights, Door Chime shut-off, Glove box LED lights, Rear differential two-way breather

Previous: 1990 Honda Civic (still running), 2003 Toyota Tacoma XtraCab PreRunner

Last edited by road2cycle; 01-04-2017 at 08:23 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 PM

I've done this several times and never had difficulty. 1/4"-drive socket with an extension is what I use. Since you have slipped this belt, it is done for this world, you need a new belt. When belts slip they glaze and never work properly again, regardless of how tight you crank them (and you don't want to over tighten).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_Driver View Post
I've done this several times and never had difficulty. 1/4"-drive socket with an extension is what I use.......
Unfortunately, this won't work with the power steering belt in the 2004 Pilot. Do what "road2cycle" suggested, but with all that work, replace the belt, instead of adjusting it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltp646 View Post
Unfortunately, this won't work with the power steering belt in the 2004 Pilot. Do what "road2cycle" suggested, but with all that work, replace the belt, instead of adjusting it.
I have an '04, that's what I do to adjust my PS belt tension, takes 2 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: