Better brake pads? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Better brake pads?

I have 2014 Touring. I recently upgrade the rims and tires to 19's. The added weight is about 10lbs. each. So my issue is once the brakes are pressed there is increased delay before it grabs. I was hoping if anyone has a recommendation on better aftermarket pads. Or could it be that there is air in my brake lines.

Thanks for any response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 04:54 PM

That doesn't sound like a wheel and tire issue, that sounds like a brake issue. Maybe someone blew it lubricating the calipers and got grease or oil on the pads? Or maybe it's pure coincidence. We tend to be more attentive to how the car is working after we change something.

As a former amateur bicycle racer, I understand the argument about rotating mass all too well, but I find it hard to believe 40 pounds of increased tire and wheel weight would create a perceptible change in braking performance on a 4500 pound SUV. The tires are probably lighter, and unless you changed width the outer rim probably didn't change much, so much of the change would be close to the hubs. I think the change in ride quality due to increase in unsprung weight ( and shorter sidewalls, of course ) would be more noticeable than anything else.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

The tire specs are 255 50 19's the offset is 45 same as oem. The ride is much stiffer and they say a better tire helps in braking, but not in my situation. I checked the wheel weight again its closer to 14 lbs. each.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:58 PM

Dunno but braking is fine on our 2014 MDX Tech with the OEM 19" wheels and it's fine on my 2016 Pilot Touring with the OEM 20" wheels. I'm kinda persnickety about such things. I literally just got back from my local Acura dealer after I had them redo the front brakes on our 2003 MDX after I tried to have it done at an independent shop in the town in which my daughter attends college. They totally screwed it up.

Did anyone try to clean up the rotors while the wheels were off?

If you are feeling an increased "flywheel effect" because of the increased rotating mass of the wheel/tire package, that should manifest as a steady force, similar to having the vehicle more heavily loaded. You shouldn't feel a "delay" in initiation of braking action. It would just take the vehicle a tiny bit longer to haul down. Kinda like when I put on weight over the winter and hop on my bike in the spring.

Last edited by Wanderer; 01-04-2017 at 09:55 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 PM

I just upgraded my rotors(slotted and drilled) and pads (Raybestos advanced formula) and am satisfied with the new brakes. The factory stuff was just ok... They lacked the initial bite everyone looks for. You need pads with a good initial bite and a more aggresive feel to them. Try the powerstop z23 pads as many have been happy with their results. Adding 14lbs per wheel is a lot and would definatly justfy an upgrade in brake components imho.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

The front rotors are new and were change with the oem wheels. I had no issues until the new wheels were put on. I will look into powerstop, wondering about EBC pads also. But not sure about ceramic over oem metallics. As always thanks for the input guys.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:45 AM
xGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluensleepy View Post
I have 2014 Touring. I recently upgrade the rims and tires to 19's. The added weight is about 10lbs. each. So my issue is once the brakes are pressed there is increased delay before it grabs. I was hoping if anyone has a recommendation on better aftermarket pads. Or could it be that there is air in my brake lines.
Saying "there is increased delay before it grabs" suggests that it's not a pad issue, because the pads have no effect until they grab. It sounds more like the problem could be air in the lines and/or expansion of the hoses.When was the last time the lines were bled and/or the brake fluid was replaced?

If it's not the fluid, then you should consider installing teflon/braided steel brake hoses.

Following is the results of a test from Car & Driver that shows the difference in performance for various plus sizes of tires and wheels. Note that the changes in braking distance are rather small:

2003 EX
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGS View Post
Saying "there is increased delay before it grabs" suggests that it's not a pad issue, because the pads have no effect until they grab. It sounds more like the problem could be air in the lines and/or expansion of the hoses.When was the last time the lines were bled and/or the brake fluid was replaced?

If it's not the fluid, then you should consider installing teflon/braided steel brake hoses.

Following is the results of a test from Car & Driver that shows the difference in performance for various plus sizes of tires and wheels. Note that the changes in braking distance are rather small:

The thing is that I bought it certified last spring. I know there is no guarantee that all items were checked or replaced. The car had 32,000 miles and as precaution I did replace all major fluids about 3 months ago. Unfortunately I haven't done the brake fluid yet. And no flush that I know about. As I stated early just front rotors were change out. Pads look to be 3/4 new. I should mention its highway braking that its more prevalent.
I guest I will have the lines checked and bled.

Thanks for your insight.

Last edited by Bluensleepy; 01-05-2017 at 10:15 AM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:23 AM

Metallic pads are used more for towing trailers. The pads actually bite the rotor and causees your vehicle to slow down. Hawk and EBC pads (100-150$) are some of the best pads but do cost more. The powerstop z23 are reasonably priced at around (50$). I bought the top of the line raybestos pads (metallic) because i tow boats,motorcycle and tandem jetski trailers. Rockauto sells the powerstop pads and is a sponsor. You have to look at other sites for Hawk and EBC pads. Good luck and let us know how your venture turns out.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtninja View Post
Metallic pads are used more for towing trailers. The pads actually bite the rotor and causees your vehicle to slow down. Hawk and EBC pads (100-150$) are some of the best pads but do cost more. The powerstop z23 are reasonably priced at around (50$). I bought the top of the line raybestos pads (metallic) because i tow boats,motorcycle and tandem jetski trailers. Rockauto sells the powerstop pads and is a sponsor. You have to look at other sites for Hawk and EBC pads. Good luck and let us know how your venture turns out.
Do you recommend changing all four or just the fronts? Thanks for your input.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:10 PM

Yes i would change the front and back if you can. The powerstop z23 front pads are like 53$ and the rear are like 33$ from Rockauto (dont forget the 5% discount code). The z23 pads consist of carbonfiber and a ceramic compound. Hopefully you can do the brake job yourself and save alot of money!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtninja View Post
Yes i would change the front and back if you can. The powerstop z23 front pads are like 53$ and the rear are like 33$ from Rockauto (dont forget the 5% discount code). The z23 pads consist of carbonfiber and a ceramic compound. Hopefully you can do the brake job yourself and save alot of money!
Thanks for the clarification. Since you know what your talking about. Would the EBC pads performance justify its price over the powerstop pads?

Last edited by Bluensleepy; 01-06-2017 at 08:58 PM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:39 PM
xGS

Still don't see how changing the brake pads is going to help the OP since the complaint is about "once the brakes are pressed there is increased delay before it grabs" as in before the pads ever grab/contact the rotors.

2003 EX
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Still don't see how changing the brake pads is going to help the OP since the complaint is about "once the brakes are pressed there is increased delay before it grabs" as in before the pads ever grab/contact the rotors.
I believe you are right that the issue is related to the brake line. I also believe that pads being used are inferior and not to spec. I will be swapping the pads out also as a precaution. Having two little ones makes you paranoid. Cheers!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
XGS, the OP complained of poor performance right after he changed his wheels and tires. He made no complaint when he had the 18 stock wheel and tires on his pilot. His car is a 2014 with 32,000 miles on it, so i would think it is safe to say his lines would be in good condition. Bluensleep, do you think you put a knot in your brake line when you remounted your calipers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: