Building my '11 Pilot Touring - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Building my '11 Pilot Touring

Going to start my thread, and show progress over time. i have done some things so far, and will get pictures up when i have some time. But i would like to start by saying, please dont come here and say "but why would you do that to a pilot, thats not what its meant for" or "if you wanted more power you should have bought/traded in for car/truck X" I have a pilot, my warranty is up, im a mechanic, and i like building the cars and trucks you dont see people normally put time and money into, so please no flaming. I just want to be able to show my build and progress and maybe get some input or help others out with what im doing.

Follow my 2011 Pilot Touring Build Here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Have fun and go for it!
Taver likes this.

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Here are some exterior pics, dont mind how dirty she is, needs a bath bad, but working nights on the loaduing dock has left me shot to get around to washin her

everything you see on the outside is in my signature, which reminds me i need to update my audio on that, i got rid of the fosgate 12's and the fosgate amps and changed them to other stuff, ill get around to it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	88994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	89002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	496.6 KB
ID:	89010  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

when we get snow here on long island, its bad, so im building my pilot to handle that, as you see, i have a 2 inch lift to be able to fit some taller and wider all terrain tires. this fall i will be switching to the nitto terra grappler 2's and give them a ****, i have been verry happy with the performance of the terra grappler 1's in the snow.

my end game performance wise is torque, im a boat mechanic, i tow boats with my pilot, hell ive pulled jeeps out of snow drifts with it, go figure. i have a ktuner module on layaway at heeltoeauto.com thanks to marcus and i will be working directly with the KTuner guys to try to unlock our ECM's and get some support for the pilot since we dont have any as of now.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

here are some pictures of the 3.7 ZDX throttle body that i ported and polished, kinda crappy pics, but it came out well to my liking. there was a nasty ridge on both the inlet and outlet sides that had to go.

Building my '11 Pilot Touring-2016-05-17-23.10.15.jpg

Building my '11 Pilot Touring-2016-05-17-23.10.25.jpg

Building my '11 Pilot Touring-2016-05-17-23.10.43.jpg

Building my '11 Pilot Touring-2016-05-17-23.11.04.jpg

Building my '11 Pilot Touring-2016-05-17-23.11.06.jpg
Live Oak likes this.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

here is the boring and honing of my mdx spacer. instead of just gasket matching it at the "port" i am enlarging the entire hole to the gasket size, which is about 1.5-2mm depending on the hole. i rouged it all out with sandpaper drums on a grinder first then onto my will with a brake cylinder hone to do the final few layers of cut with a medium then go over with a fine stone, then i will polish it up in there with some 500 compound followed by some white compound then red. long process but worth it.
Building my '11 Pilot Touring-2016-06-20-14.01.06.jpgBuilding my '11 Pilot Touring-2016-06-20-14.01.35.jpg

Last edited by Taver; 06-20-2016 at 02:18 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:11 PM

This will be an awesome/interesting thread as you go along.

If you could, can you post some of the results from the old butt dyno to see what the effects are?
Taver likes this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Cool man glad your interested. Stay tuned. If the ktuner guys and myself crack the ole computer I will in the end get a full dyno tune and post the results but that will be a few months down the road. I have a 3.7 intake manifold inbound I found from a junkyard for a hundred bucks that will get a little work done to it to match it up with my spacer.

Last edited by Taver; 06-23-2016 at 03:03 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Building my '11 Pilot Touring-2016-06-25-14.07.42.jpg

09 mdx j37 intake manifold is in my possession i will make sure to have before and after shots of it once i have it apart of the porting and polishing and matching the bore of the riser i am in the process of opening

Building my '11 Pilot Touring-2016-06-25-14.08.33.jpg

the zdx throttle body, is effin massive! came off a 3.7, but i still need an adapter to make this beast fit! this photo is just to kinda put it in perspective.

lets take a tally so far
j37 manifold 100
j37 zdx TB 50
mdx manifod riser 30

not bad so far, and all the PnP work is free, just costs time since im doing it myself which is always a bonus. the guys at one of the boneyards here think im nuts with the parts i ask for.

Last edited by Taver; 06-25-2016 at 02:21 PM. Reason: photos didnt upload
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

was just conversing with a fellow in NYC, and may be striking a deal for a j35y1 Earth Dreams head and j37 spool assembly and vtech solenoid, just would need to find another head. that would allow me to at least add intake vtec and still have the VCM present (although i have it dissabled through the resistor mod) so the ecm does not go all code nutty. there is alot more that goes into adding the vtec than that but ill get into that down the road when the time comes, if i decide to go down that route

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Building my '11 Pilot Touring-2016-07-16-18.17.35.jpg
picked this up at a garage sale, for ten bucks! brand new!
Tru-Cool 20,000 GVW Cooler LPD-4707 Low Pressure Drop Transmission Cooler
going new around 80 bucks. not gonna argue with that price, and we all know that our trannys can welcome the cooling.

Last edited by Taver; 07-16-2016 at 06:34 PM.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taver View Post
was just conversing with a fellow in NYC, and may be striking a deal for a j35y1 Earth Dreams head and j37 spool assembly and vtech solenoid, just would need to find another head. that would allow me to at least add intake vtec and still have the VCM present (although i have it dissabled through the resistor mod) so the ecm does not go all code nutty. there is alot more that goes into adding the vtec than that but ill get into that down the road when the time comes, if i decide to go down that route
also...this deal fell through, dude was a flake. moving along a different route anyway

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 09:49 AM

have you thought about a turbo?
Taver likes this.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillafreak View Post
have you thought about a turbo?
I have. And decided on the supercharger route. I have a pair of lysholm style superchargers I won on eBay coming. One works and needs a reseal and on is for parts. I'm more looking for the low end power than the high end horsepower so that swayed my decision away from a turbo

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 08:25 AM

I see you already have exhaust, it is full exhaust with headers and y/j pipe or what?
Are you doing a CAI or going to use the stock setup?

If you have those or are going to do those, have you thought about wrapping? Use some header wrap on the exhaust to keep heat in the exhaust and not engine bay. Then wrap intake to keep cold air in there. Simple to do and can help.

As for the tuning, hoping you can crack it. Adding timing down low can help with the grunt you are looking for. I know those heavier bigger tires will kill power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: