photos of off-road tire/wheel combos - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default photos of off-road tire/wheel combos

Anybody set up their Pilots with a more aggressive tire combo for offroad? Send pics and info. Thanks. Also, why did I not wait till 04 to get a pilot with heated seats, damn.
mept is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2004, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Olde Timer Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to colorider
Default Re: photos of off-road tire/wheel combos

Quote:
Originally posted by mept
Anybody set up their Pilots with a more aggressive tire combo for offroad? Send pics and info. Thanks. Also, why did I not wait till 04 to get a pilot with heated seats, damn.
Have you looked at all the photos in this thread that Kemo put up?

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

yes, with the exception of the truck from the SEMA show, they all looked like they were all street and all show. Not that they didn't look good, but I wanted to see what it would look like proportion wise with maybe a size or 2 up from stock in height and width without necessarily going into the lower series tires.
mept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 04:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have not really seen any yet, but I have been looking as well to give the Pilot a more aggressive safari or rally like look.

There are 2 that I have found so far.

One look is by Jaos, it is actually a 5 x114.3 bolt pattern that is designed to fit on the CRV... but it turns out that any 5x114.3 rim for a honda or acura will pretty much fit a Pilot. This would look nice especially with the 2004 fender flares. Here is a link to how the wheel looks on a Lexus.
http://www.jaosusa.com/products/wheel/wheel_forio.htm

Now no one will tell you that Jaos officially makes stuff for the Pilot, but there are a number of other pieces that i am sure will work just fine with the Pilot... Jaos wheels, The universal Jaos roof tray that allows for attachment of Jaos foglights or spotlamps, offroad Jaos foglights that can prolly be fitted onto the OEM brush gaurd, Joas rally mudflaps, and one can probably weld Jaos skid plates to the bottom of the Pilot. Then one can probably get a custom coilover setup from Ground Control (they can make custom applications although it does not say on their site)
http://www.ground-control.com
this way you can give the Pilot a nice 1 to 2 inch lift. Then finish it off with some Jaos 4x4 offroad decals.

If I was not so obsessed about modding my BMW... I would do this with our Pilot!!!

Option 2 instead of the Jaos wheels you can go with Volk Racing TE37 which is also a very popular road racing as well as offroad rally wheel in Japan.

So yeah... i dont think you will find a Pilot with an offroad look yet... but you can probably picture what i described.

Maybe someone can photoshop a Pilot into a Jaos equipped pilot.
wildpanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Probably the reason you haven't seen one yet is because it would be like putting knobbies on ColoRider's bike in his avatar or like a really fat old guy wearing high dollar Nike basketball shoes.

It just aint natural!!
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Olde Timer Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to colorider

Quote:
Originally posted by booger
Probably the reason you haven't seen one yet is because it would be like putting knobbies on ColoRider's bike in his avatar or like a really fat old guy wearing high dollar Nike basketball shoes.

It just aint natural!!
Yeah - I want some on my Wing!!! Maybe even some set up for ice racing!!!

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Le Moderator™ Ranger®

Send a message via AIM to kemosabe Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabe

Quote:
Originally posted by booger
[ S N I P P E D ]
...or like a really fat old guy wearing high dollar Nike basketball shoes.

It just aint natural!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg albert.jpg (79.6 KB, 879 views)
kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have seen many 4 runners, Montero's, and Land Cruisers with the Jaos look minus the decals... and they look really good. And have you guys seen the BMW/ X raid rally team X5? it looks really good as it races through the Sahara in the Paris Dakar Rally. (although i could do without the decals and stuff on it)

And I have seen many Range Rover's and Land Rovers with a similar safari look and they look really good when they are nice and clean and even better when they have mud all over the sides. Like the Discovery down the street from where I live, it is painted a dark grey, ARB bumper up front, black skid plates, dark tint, black rims with some nice offroad tires, ARB roof tray with offroad tire jack and shovel, a bit of a lift, and a winch on the rear bumper.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
yes, with the exception of the truck from the SEMA show, they all looked like they were all street and all show.
mept, I have some info, but not in detail, about that Pilot in the SEMA show. It has a 32 inch Goodyear A/T tires, custom 3 inch lift kit, custom camber kit and Pro-Comp rims.

It also have a rear bumper mounted winch, Honda HD towing package, MSD ignition, custom intake, Nitrous Express, Thule roof rack, Explorer off-road lights and custom Rhino lining at the front, lower sides of the body and roof. It's a '04 EX-L NAV from California and the owner stated that it runs great off-road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg krgdesigns_rear.jpg (52.5 KB, 2958 views)
'04 Pilot EX Taffeta White, fog lights, HD towing package with trans and HD PS coolers, backup sensors, rear splash guards, auto dimming/ compass mirror and cargo cover Delivery date: 10/28/03 VIN: 518225 Transmission recall completed 7/5/04
DIY: Cloud-Rider bright mirror finish stainless Spectare TM mesh & large holes grilles, Honda half nose mask, large cargo net, wwong's center console pads set, fog covers, door reflectors, dead pedal cover, Dash-Topper dash cover, Covercraft UVS100 Heat Shield windshield cover, Honda 6 spokes alloy wheels X 5 plus wheel locks with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires X 5 and SmarTire tire pressure/ temperature monitoring system, full size spare, Blitzsafe aux input converter, Alpine IVA-D900 with 7 inch monitor DVD head unit, Alpine NVE-N852A NAV Ver 2.0, Alpine TME-M580 monitor and honda-pilot.org stickers

See my pics at the gallery
desertpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by desertpilot
mept, I have some info, but not in detail, about that Pilot in the SEMA show. It has a 32 inch tires, custom lift, custom camber kit, Pro-Comp rims.

It also have a rear bumper mounted winch, MSD ignition, custom intake, Nitrous Express, Thule roof rack, Explorer off-road lights and custom Rhino lining at the front and lower sides of the body. It's a '04 EX-L NAV from California and the owner stated that it runs great off-road.
But when the suspension is fully compressed or articulated, wouldn't it rub BIG time into the fenders? Seems like it would need "inland empire" style fiberglass fenders in the front and back (you know the fenders that you see on ford and chevy trucks that are modified for desert racing or Baja)
Old 01-29-2004, 12:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wildpanda86
But when the suspension is fully compressed or articulated, wouldn't it rub BIG time into the fenders? Seems like it would need "inland empire" style fiberglass fenders in the front and back (you know the fenders that you see on ford and chevy trucks that are modified for desert racing or Baja)
I agree with you. If it was my SUV, I would have trimmed the fender openings and added the fiberglass fenders. I guess it depends if the owner would like to add it in, or maybe he will later on.

The owner of that custom Pilot stated that he updated the tires to one size smaller (now 32 inch) since the SEMA show, he was having problems with those large tires you see in the pic. With the smaller tires now, he said that it runs good.
'04 Pilot EX Taffeta White, fog lights, HD towing package with trans and HD PS coolers, backup sensors, rear splash guards, auto dimming/ compass mirror and cargo cover Delivery date: 10/28/03 VIN: 518225 Transmission recall completed 7/5/04
DIY: Cloud-Rider bright mirror finish stainless Spectare TM mesh & large holes grilles, Honda half nose mask, large cargo net, wwong's center console pads set, fog covers, door reflectors, dead pedal cover, Dash-Topper dash cover, Covercraft UVS100 Heat Shield windshield cover, Honda 6 spokes alloy wheels X 5 plus wheel locks with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires X 5 and SmarTire tire pressure/ temperature monitoring system, full size spare, Blitzsafe aux input converter, Alpine IVA-D900 with 7 inch monitor DVD head unit, Alpine NVE-N852A NAV Ver 2.0, Alpine TME-M580 monitor and honda-pilot.org stickers

Old 02-03-2004, 10:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

A few more pics of that lifted PILOT at the SEMA show.

hondasuv.com PILOT of the month - Feb 2004

2010 Camaro 1SS RS, LS3, 6sp Manual, Sunroof, B.A. Audio, Maggie TVS2300, ADM street intake, Kooks headers & cats, Corsa catback, Hotchkis Track Pack - 630hp

2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited with NAV and Eyesight - 256hp
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Asuza Canyon is really fun, I have done it in a Montero and my friends Z71 Silverado. I still want to do it my Pilot to see what its limits are while having my friend as a tow vehicle incase i get stuck anywhere.

BTW I really like the tough look of that Pilot with the 3inch lift kit. If new suspension arms are fabricated & longer springs... you can easily get more of a lift.

I wonder if the 3 inch lift keeps the rear from rubbing under full compression.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

That KRG Designs Pilot really looks awesome. But for myself, I would just get a set of steel LX wheels and good A/T tires, maybe with slightly wider thread and I'll be happy with it.

Here are some more pics of HondaSUV members Azusa meet last Saturday Jan. 31st from member wwong. Some of the smaller SUV like the Element had low profile tires, they wish they had at least some A/T tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg krgdesigns_azusa_fr.jpg (150.5 KB, 4981 views)

Old 02-06-2004, 05:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Make your own wake!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg krgdesigns_azusa_wake_web.jpg (61.3 KB, 1384 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: